Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Bright ds age 5, should I teach him ahead of his class?
1  2  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:31 pm
Ds is very bright b'h. His school has a high level in hebrew subjects but lower in English. In hebrew he catches on to everything right away and flies through his h.w at night. But hes still stimulated enough in class plus I dont think it would be good for him to be with older kids so I
think he is good remaining with this grade level.

My question is with English subjects. compared to where they are in school, he is ahead. For example in his school they dont learn abc/reading till next year. He already knows almost all the capital letters, at least half of the lowercase ones and some of their sounds. He picked this up on his own and now is showing interest in learning how to read. I'm happy to teach him, and think he will easily pick up on it but am slightly hesitant. If I teach this to him now, what will he learn next year when this is their focus? Wouldn't he be really bored in class?

(not an option to change schools, tutoring him in english instead of school not an option either - I dont mind doing that in addition but he still needs to be in class for those hours) , skipping a grade is not really an option as like I said the hebrew level is good for him)

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:34 pm
Yes def teach him. Age 5 in our chabad school my ds is doing kriyah and learning to read English. If he is showing interest go for it, that's wonderful.

luckymom1

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:38 pm
I wouldn't. If he knows ahead of the class, he will likely be bored when the material is being taught. This happened to my brother and he got in trouble quite often simply because he was constantly bored.

amother
Pearl

if the school can't handle kids that are more advanced then unfortunately yes he will be bored. Since you said that switching his school is not an option I won't suggest that. I know someone who wanted to send to a specific school- not too many options in the community, and her kids are very bright. I think her older kids might have learned to read early and were bored not sure but I know at least for her younger kids she made a conscious decision to teach her kids other stuff but not reading so they wouldn't be bored. Sad but practical.

amother
Wine

I wouldn’t when the class learns what your daughter already learned with you she will be bored. I know a few kids that it backfired on them. As a teacher I would never suggest it

Simple1

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:40 pm
Maybe teach him stuff that he's not likely to learn in school.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:42 pm
I was always at least 3 years ahead of the class and not a discipline problem. I learned my oldest siblings textbooks. It laid a lifelong foundation.

In any classroom, there will always be a top student who is not necessarily bored.

mha3484

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:42 pm
I have a very bright child. We do horizontal enrichment. I help him explore any interest he has and there have been some wacky ones. We read books, go to museums, watch videos. I don’t teach him ahead because I don’t want to cause boredom.

abaker

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:49 pm
Teaching him to read English will allow him to explore and learn more/anything he likes. Even if others in the class can't read English yet, getting a jump start in this area won't make him bored in class. Quite the contrary he can read books while others are reviewing letters and starting to read words, which might come easily to him.

cm

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:55 pm
I’m not sure how you can stop a child from learning. You say he has already started learning on his own; this is likely to continue.

enjoying kids

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:56 pm
Second what abaker.said, also realize that not teaching him doesn't guarantee that he won't be bored. Lakewood boys schools teach reading at a snail's pace.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:57 pm
Also really depends on what he will do if hes bored. My bright 5 year old started learning to read way ahead of his class, and I encouraged it because I know he wont disrupt his class. If anything, he has the opposite problem-hes such a big dreamer, he always daydream in class. So if hes bored, he just thinks in his own world and doesnt disrupt

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:58 pm
Ok sounds like its probably better not to. Its disappointing bec I think he would really enjoy it, but I dont want to cause trouble for him next year.

Simple1 wrote:
Maybe teach him stuff that he's not likely to learn in school.

What type of things?

mha3484 wrote:
I have a very bright child. We do horizontal enrichment. I help him explore any interest he has and there have been some wacky ones. We read books, go to museums, watch videos. I don’t teach him ahead because I don’t want to cause boredom.

Can you give me some of examples of interests? ds shows alot of interest in math concepts, but thats a school subjects and hes already very advanced in that area...

abaker wrote:
Teaching him to read English will allow him to explore and learn more/anything he likes. Even if others in the class can't read English yet, getting a jump start in this area won't make him bored in class. Quite the contrary he can read books while others are reviewing letters and starting to read words, which might come easily to him.

I wonder, maybe that would work for him.... He would really love to learn to read now but how do I know if he'll be able to focus on reading on his own while the rest of the class is learning abcs? (isnt it different then say a 5th grader who can get deeply involved in a novel?)

SuperWify

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 10:04 pm
I would never stop or discourage a child from learning!
Does your child’s school have an enrichment program for bright kids? If it is a possibility you can send him to program during the subjects he already knows. If not I as the teacher would give him books to read during that time.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 10:07 pm
luckymom1 wrote:
I wouldn't. If he knows ahead of the class, he will likely be bored when the material is being taught. This happened to my brother and he got in trouble quite often simply because he was constantly bored.

My kids were always more advanced in secular studies when they were younger . The teachers would give them additional classwork, have them be class monitors and "helpers" etc.
But once they reached a certain age they all ended up being on the same level as the class and some even struggled. They were so used to being "ahead" that they had a hard time admitting when they weren't sure about something and didn't ask questions when they didn't understand.
I think being advanced in reading is very valuable and I always encouraged reading from a young age.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 10:44 pm
Have this with my son now..he reads English fluently and now in cheder they're starting to teach reading. Now that he reads I buy him science books which the cheder anyways doesn't teach and he gians his own knowledge. He needs it.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 2:50 am
OP, check out the Steve Spangler Science website. There are lots of free instruction for science projects you can do with stuff around the house. They also have kits you can buy that are very low cost and lots of fun. DD absolutely loved them, and we both had a great time.

If DS likes to play with textures, get him the clear jelly marbles. They disappear in a glass of water, because they have the same optical properties. Very cool!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 3:16 am
Is this by any chance in Israel?

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:38 am
I was that kid. Teach him. Neither of you will regret it.

Only 2 things I would say to look out for: I was punished often by teachers who caught me moving ahead in my workbooks, or reading ahead in my textbooks. That was wrong of them, and you need to protect your child from overzealous "educators."

I was also very much a bookworm, used big words, and was fairly proud of myself. Suffice it to say that it didn't win me any friends. If you instill your child with the value that kindness is far more important than intelligence, then you'll be doing him a great service.

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:48 am
amother wrote:
Have this with my son now..he reads English fluently and now in cheder they're starting to teach reading. Now that he reads I buy him science books which the cheder anyways doesn't teach and he gians his own knowledge. He needs it.

Something like this is a good idea. Teaching him material that the class will be taught during the school year raises the likelihood of discipline problems.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics