Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Anyone here a public school teacher? Need more info.

amother
White

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:12 am
Hi,
After years in the private sector, I'm thinking of becoming a public school teacher. I don't have enough info and don't know where to start... Anyone here a public school teacher, preferably someone who's been a private school teacher as well?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:28 am
I have, but I'm euro

Aylat

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:10 am
Which country are you in?

amother
White

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:10 am
I'm in NY

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:12 am
I'm a public school teacher in NY, but only a few years in the system. I didn't teach in private school first. What do you want to know?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:23 am
I know someone who was first in a Jewish private school as a licensed headstart teacher & then switched over to special ed teacher in public school. If you want then I might be able to connect you to her

amother
White

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:24 am
Practically everything! I want to teach either kindergarten, grade 1, or grade 2. I want to know just how demanding the job is compared to being a private school teacher. I also don't know much about class size, hours, schedule etc, although that could vary by district. If you could just share anything/everything about your job, that would be greatly appreciated.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:36 am
I am a high school teacher, so my experience would be very different than yours.

Many of the things you want to know vary greatly by district and school.

It is a demanding job. Your workday will average to 6 hours, 50 minutes per day, though every school divides their days differently. In one school I was in, we worked from 8-3:40 on Monday and Tuesday, and 8-2:20 Wednesday through Friday. In my current school, I work 8:20-3:11 every day. I also heard about schools that start at 7:15. Every school is different.

Class sizes might be very different in elementary school than high school. In high school, the maximum allowed class size is 34 students, with a maximum of 12 special education students (the ratio is not allowed to be larger than 40% special ed students), with a special ed teacher in the room. Elementary schools have self-contained classes, though, so I don't know how those work.

From what I've seen, most of your experience will depend on how your principal is, so do your research. A tough school with a good principal will make your life a lot easier. A good school with a bad principal could make your life a nightmare.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:37 pm
I'm a public school teacher in NYC, not elementary though.

Like the previous poster said, the school day is 6 hours 50 minutes, but the specific hours are set by the school. I've been at one school that ended 3:55, one that ended 2:40. I LOVE ending the day so early compared to everyone else who finishes at 5 or 6. It is a lot of work. Especially in the city, I feel like classroom management and behavioral issues are 80% of why I'm so exhausted throughout the day. There is a lot of paperwork that feels unnecessary and annoying. But there's a lot of good stuff too. Logistically, the salary, benefits, pension etc are great. And when you really connect with the kids and have a good day, it's an amazing feeling.

I also agree that it completely depends on your administration. I was in a school with a toxic principal and it was the worst thing I've ever experienced. She made my life miserable on a daily basis. I thought I would have to leave teaching. I've never felt so low about myself. Now I'm in a new school and I'm much happier. The administration is supportive and I genuinely feel like I'm growing as a teacher, which makes me feel good. There are definitely red flags I'd look out for during the interview process to see if the school is going to be kind to teachers or not.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:28 pm
OP, are you in NY? I became a public school teacher in NJ after 8 years in private school. I second a lot of what the previous posters said. The hours can be great or grueling. Right now my hours are 7:30-2:40 so getting home early is amazing. Teaching in a public school is like a new adventure every day and I love my job. It definitely involves a LOT of paperwork and there's much more accountability to parents and administrators than in private school, so you have to be on top of your game at all times. Unlike a previous poster, where I teach discipline is not usually an issue. The district has strict protocol that we follow and for the most part it works.

The best part? I rarely, if ever, bring work home with me. We teach a maximum of 6 periods (out of 9) per day. The remaining periods are for lunch, prep, and duty or PLC (meeting every second day with all the teachers that teach the same thing you're teaching is invaluable!). If you budget your time wisely, maximize the resources the district offers, and are willing to go in early to catch up sometimes then you should be fine. (I can be there as early as 6 am sometimes, but I'd do that much sooner than staying late).

Among the drawbacks:
1) New Jersey does NOT give free insurance and benefits!! NYC teachers get excellent benefits for free, while I pay $946/month for my family's insurance.
2) Unlike NYC, where they are accommodating of the frum lifestyle for the most part, the districts in NJ decide individually whether to close school on days like Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. My district allows 3 personal days per year, so after that every Yom Tov I get docked. In addition to working every day chol hamoed, this Succos I was docked $1800.00 for being out.

If you're considering NY, I'd say go for it. NJ I'd say think long and hard first. It's an extremely rewarding (and fun!) job, but at the end of the day it has to be worth it financially.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:33 pm
I work in public school but even though its 6 hr 50 min workday (except for 2 days are later for meetings), the reality is there is no end to the work.

There is so much expected of teachers, endless prep with differentiation and new ways of teaching new curriculum....also theres always more paperwork more grading and more parent contact including the need to log everything. Although salary and benefits is 5 times better than private school depending on experience, the pressure and expectations are 10 times more and theres only so much time in the day, but I feel like the work never ends.

If u work in a good school with supportive admin, ull work a lot after work hrs but at least ull feel fulfilled and its enjoyable. But, its very hard to get into good schools and is hard to find good supportive admin. I dont want to discourage u bec anything is possible and hopefully ull find supportive admin .....

But I want u to know wat some places are like. Also in elementary there is no gaurantee that u get the same grade again the next year. Another thing is many times admins will ask newer teachers to stay late for extra"" meetings or...without pay and the union is usually not strong, so some schools ive been in, ive had to stay longer than contractually expected bec principals do wat they want and if u speak up, ull be under more of a microscope.

So, it can be a good or bad experience depending so many factors. Every school is different. Good luck and be prepared to work hard and another thing is that now with technology, principals email more "last minute requests/paperwork duties..." to u at all hrs and weekends too and they expect u to read the emails.its truly a 24/7 job(except shabbat).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics