Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What stupid parenting advice have you heard lately?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:38 pm
andrea levy wrote:
With all due respect, I'd like to suggest that leaving your young children alone in the bath is a pretty bad idea. Just in case anyone thinks it is a good idea.

No, I know it's not a great idea. Unfortunately they weren't babies at anymore.... and still biting.... and with a full mouth of strong teeth.... had it been a baby, the biting wouldn't have been that bad and I wouldn't be at pulling-my-hair-out wits end.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:59 pm
SuperWify wrote:
My pediatrician sent me to get my 18 mo old checked for ADHD by a neurologist because he was running around the office instead of sitting quietly and watching uncle Moishe. (What do you expect from the poor baby? He was waiting for over two hours to be seen!!)

The neurologist had a good laugh.

Ha. We saw a pt for my second. The oldest one had OT in the same gym last year and she was so excited. (Still is sensory and super curious active. But a lot better bh!)
She touched everything and was visibly excited. She loved going to OT and her therapist was so kind! I explained to the physical therapist that she is excited to be back in that specific gym. The lady said, well, "maybe she could use a few more sessions of OT" in a nasty tone.
then she ignored the doctors and my concerns and told me my kid doesn't need pt..... I was gonna tell her, even if she did, I wouldn't come back to YOU. she was so rude to my kid. Unbelievable. And she's for pediatrics.

rgr

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:
Not lately but when my DS nearly three was a newborn, he amazingly slept five hours straight! I felt great on five hours uninterrupted sleep. He wasn’t my first DC yet somehow I unfortunately listened to the parenting advice I was given by a random person: “Oh he’s far too young to be sleeping that much. You must wake him for milk.” And stupidly I did. And then I had a toddler who expected me to nurse all night. The worse vice is advice!

Depends if the newborn is growing and thriving. Newborns that aren't c"v, sleep a lot and are uninterested in nursing. This can be very dangerous

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:53 pm
rgr wrote:
Depends if the newborn is growing and thriving. Newborns that aren't c"v, sleep a lot and are uninterested in nursing. This can be very dangerous

My son didn’t sleep a lot for a newborn, just those five hours at night and a few catnaps in the day and was (and still is) extremely interested in nursing. The advice in my situation was definitely bad and me heeding to it against my better judgment was worse. Also, it came from a random person at Shul vs someone who knew me or my son.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:55 pm
In defense of the mom with the biting kids, my sister and I went through a phase of biting each other relentlessly. My mom tried a couple of times to break it up, and then figured we'd outgrow it when we decided it wasn't getting us anywhere. She was right.

I don't recall ever biting my mom, but if I did, I'm sure she did something to make sure it was the first and LAST time.

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 8:05 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I’ll report my own post so that the mods can get the memo to split the thread if they can.

I’ve been told to put breastmilk on my infant’s pus-sy eye. Does that make the immature tear duct mature faster??

ETA can’t believe that word replacement. Lol.

I believe people have started using the word purulent instead because of the problems with the more common word (except that when I did it, it autocorrected to purple).

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 8:10 pm
keym wrote:
Well thank you. But I wasn't really second guessing myself or anything. Just rolling my eyes at that adviser.

I probably should start a spinoff or something. But this particular advisor was not an "expert" or anything. And I knew to take her with a grain of salt when I watched her take away the full pekala from her four year old that he received at a birthday party. She threw the whole thing in the trash while he was screaming, saying "he doesn't need it". Not exactly my idea of someone I want to take advice from.

That’s so mean. Sad

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 8:28 pm
Speak roughly to your little boy and beat him when he sneezes. He only does it to annoy because he knows it teases.

kneidel

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:26 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
This wasn't a Rabbi. It was a female psychologist who was licensed. And I was required by the school to adhere to her advice and work together on my child's behavior with them. This was in a Headstart program.

When my disabled child was very young (and our hopes still very high!), we tried a new physiotherapy technique (in search of magic). The therapy was obviously very painful and I tried comforting my child. The therapist told me off that I'm obstructing his work and preventing progress. I foolishly listened and I'm still traumatised ( many years later) by my child's screams. There's actually tears in my eyes writing this.

So yes, I do understand you listening to the 'professional'. And it's good to remind ourselves that our sixth sense aka binah yesaira is usually on the mark.

(And BTW I too find your posts honest, refreshing and inspiring.)

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 12:42 am
I don't know if this can go into this thread, someone who was trying to help us with our shalom bayis advised me to go to infertlity doctor to try to have another baby, although we had no medical insurance at the time & this will solve all our problems: A new baby!!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics