Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking for a new MO community
1  2  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:54 pm
Hi all,
DH and I have been searching for a new community in the New York area. We live in Brooklyn, but it’s not for us long term. We are both working professionals with Masters degrees, MO center to center left haskafically. But we just can’t afford the $4-500k (or more) houses of many communities in the New York area. Ideally if we money wasn’t a concern we would move to Stamford, CT. We did a Shabbos visit there last year and loved it, but the housing prices are high for us. We also want top notch schools where the kids are always college bound. Send me your ideas.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:26 pm
If you find something ...Please send let me know and I will pack my bags..

My children are grown up so I don't even need schools...

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:40 pm
Is Boca raton an option? The west side has affordable housing, and a growing community.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:40 pm
In the NY area, Stamford is pretty reasonable (housing prices-wise)

Have you considered Linden, NJ? Fairlawn, NJ? An apartment in Riverdale?

sfynyc

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:47 pm
amother wrote:
Is Boca raton an option? The west side has affordable housing, and a growing community.

The west side of where? Boca? What shul is that?

sfynyc

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:48 pm
pesek zman wrote:
In the NY area, Stamford is pretty reasonable (housing prices-wise)

Have you considered Linden, NJ? Fairlawn, NJ? An apartment in Riverdale?

Riverdale more affordable than Brooklyn? I doubt it.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:52 pm
sfynyc wrote:

A 3 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment can be found for around 500k. I don't know what apartments in Brooklyn go for.

ahuva06

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:53 pm
sfynyc wrote:

I have to agree with this one... Riverdale is not known to be affordable at all...

perquacky

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:55 pm
Have you considered West Hempstead? Many former MO Brooklynites there.

doctorima

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:58 pm
Would you consider Baltimore? It's not so far from NY, has very affordable real estate, and an extremely accepting Jewish community which includes vibrant MO shul and schooling options.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:07 pm
ahuva06 wrote:
I have to agree with this one... Riverdale is not known to be affordable at all...

the houses are multi-million dollar mansions. The apartments (and there are many full service family friendly apartment buildings) are priced around 500k. I"m not sure how much OP is thinking of spending on a home

doctorima

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:43 pm
OP wrote that she can't afford $400k-$500k for a house, which severely limits her options. Most MO communities with excellent college prep schooling options are going to have a much higher cost of living, which is why I suggested Baltimore.

Even if she can somehow find a small apartment in Riverdale or a cheap house in West Hempstead, the tuition at the MO schools here can easily run $20k-$30k per kid, which sounds like it would be out of her price range.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:46 pm
doctorima wrote:
Would you consider Baltimore? It's not so far from NY, has very affordable real estate, and an extremely accepting Jewish community which includes vibrant MO shul and schooling options.

I agree with Baltimore. There is a wonderful vibrant mo community here and the best part about the city is that we all get along.

familyfirst

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:49 pm
Kemp mill section of silver spring, Maryland. Awesome community. Affordable housing.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:53 pm
Would you be ok with a townhouse or apartment rather than a house? Would you consider a house with a rental unit to cover some of the expenses? The farther you go from the city, the lower the cost, in general, so look at central NJ rather than Bergen county (although you may find a bargain closer in). Property taxes are a huge hidden cost in NJ, so northeast Philadelphia might be a good choice if the location works for you. I’m not personally familiar with the community, but have heard good things.

Petra

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:54 pm
Is there really an affordable MO community in NY anywhere? Even OOT, all the MO high schools are nearing 30K per year.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:02 pm
Petra wrote:
Is there really an affordable MO community in NY anywhere? Even OOT, all the MO high schools are nearing 30K per year.

In NJ we didn’t pay remotely near that much.

sfynyc

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:08 pm
Petra wrote:

You can always apply for tuition assistance.

mha3484

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:19 pm
Ida Crown in Skokie is 23k and they give a lot of financial aid. https://www.icja.org/admission.....-aid/

If you would be interested in the Midwest you can get houses in the 300s and up in Skokie. It’s a really friendly community.

Last edited by mha3484 on Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:21 pm
sfynyc wrote:
The west side of where? Boca? What shul is that?

BRS west. It's a branch of the main BRS. They daven in the Katz hillel day school.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating