Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Little Boys and Bathrooms -Please help...

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 5:32 pm
My 6 year old (oldest boy BH) makes a mess every time he goes. I'm expecting, and the smell in the bathroom is overwhelming. What can I do to get him to clean up after himself? Is it ok to give him a paper towel with cleanser and ask him to clean the toilet and floor that he sprayed?

Has anyone successfully dealt with this and how?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 5:36 pm
Following!
I wouldn't give cleanser, but I give baby wipes. Still not working...

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 5:54 pm
Rather than have him clean up, teach him to aim properly and not make a mess.

esuss

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 5:55 pm
He should be shown how to aim properly into the toilet as the first step. And then shown how to use wipes to clean anything that missed.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 5:56 pm
Scrubbing bubbles is my lifesavor. I use it a good few times a week. Easy to clean and leaves a good smell.

animeme

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:31 pm
Re aiming, does nobody else have a son who starts off aiming but gets distracted? Or he decides to see what will happen if he moves a little one way or the other....

Can you handle the smell of vinegar? You can make a spray bottle with a diluted vinegar solution that he can use. I would teach him to spray and wipe every time, so its part of the routine and he doesn't need to figure out on his own if he needs to do it. But I would also delegate the job to dh to do a once-over every night.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:38 pm
There are target stickers you can stick on inside of the bowl so the kids are more focused to aim there.
I also liked the idea someone once posted here about putting cheerios in the bowl and having them try to aim at it. Never tried it but I can see it working.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:22 am
asmileaday wrote:
There are target stickers you can stick on inside of the bowl so the kids are more focused to aim there.
I also liked the idea someone once posted here about putting cheerios in the bowl and having them try to aim at it. Never tried it but I can see it working.

I ordered those stickers and applying them was next to impossible. I ended up giving up and throwing them out.

I've heard the Cheerios idea, but isn't there a problem bringing food into the bathroom?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:25 am
amother wrote:
I ordered those stickers and applying them was next to impossible. I ended up giving up and throwing them out.

I've heard the Cheerios idea, but isn't there a problem bringing food into the bathroom?

Only if you plan on eating it.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:25 am
also keep a bathroom fragrance bottle handy so you can spray before going in and you can also put something in the bathroom itself like a hard bathroom fragrance deodorizing disk and leave it in there that helps neutralize smells

baby wipes to clean up are a good idea its very hygienic both for his hands also just make sure he throws them in the garbage can and not the toilet

tsc3

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:27 am
When my boys were toilet training I kept reminding them to aim until it was ingrained in them. Now a year and a half later they mostly aim unless they're half asleep or rushing...
My point is it should be taught when learning the whole process.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:06 am
my son is one of those easily distracted kids. He starts off fine but then he gets distracted and it's all over (literally). My husband is telling me to let him learn responsibility and consequences by cleaning up after himself with a cleanser on a paper towel, but given his distractibility I'm kind of nervous to use that technique.

Vinegar is a good idea, but the smell would definitely make me barf.

Maybe the baby wipe idea (let him clean with that), then follow up with scrubbing bubbles action by an adult?

I like the idea of asking my husband to do some of the cleaning too, but he's also the distractible type Sad

As my mom always said, if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself...

I had some serious resistance when I asked him to sit down this morning, but I'm going to insist on it. Thank you so much for all the suggestions and advice!

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:09 am
I got the idea from someone else on this site.. have the child lean over the toilet seat and rest his hands on the upended seat. That will have him aim directly in the center of the toilet. As long as they stay in that position, the stream should go into the toilet.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:20 am
After four boys in a row , I just gave up. And if I had someone over that wanted to use their bathroom, I'd give a warning "You are about to enter the subway station, I suggest you use the other bathroom ".

One of my sons , when he wakes up to go in the middle of the night, is usually sleepwalking. I've seen him literally spray the walls and floor and not a drop went into the bowl.

My other son for some reason does the leaning over thing but holds the cover in his hand half closed so that the pee sprays all over the toilet see cover.

Then there's the kid that never lifts the toilet seat...

... I could write a book called "The Problems of Pish and Parenting"...

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:30 am
thunderstorm wrote:
After four boys in a row , I just gave up. And if I had someone over that wanted to use their bathroom, I'd give a warning "You are about to enter the subway station, I suggest you use the other bathroom ".

One of my sons , when he wakes up to go in the middle of the night, is usually sleepwalking. I've seen him literally spray the walls and floor and not a drop went into the bowl.

My other son for some reason does the leaning over thing but holds the cover in his hand half closed so that the pee sprays all over the toilet see cover.

Then there's the kid that never lifts the toilet seat...

... I could write a book called "The Problems of Pish and Parenting"...

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 8:18 am
I have the same issue. My cleaning lady lately has been removing the toilet seat entirely so that she can scrub it thoroughly. I also purchased Clorox urine spray and keep one bottle in the boys’ bathroom with a roll of paper towels, and try to spray nightly. It helps a bit, however, the chemicals themselves have a pretty strong smell...

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 8:41 am
Go to a pet store, and get urine neutralizer. It's an enzyme product that is non toxic for pets, so I'm assuming it's OK to have around kids, too. The ones I've seen do not have very strong scents. The idea isn't to mask the stink, but to actually get rid of it.

Best of luck, I hope your next one is a girl! Lady

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:35 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Go to a pet store, and get urine neutralizer. It's an enzyme product that is non toxic for pets, so I'm assuming it's OK to have around kids, too. The ones I've seen do not have very strong scents. The idea isn't to mask the stink, but to actually get rid of it.

Best of luck, I hope your next one is a girl! Lady

I like this idea. I’m going to iyh visit the pet store tomorrow. I could’ve written this post. I’m so fed up. We have our son clean it all up but it still stinks. Puke

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:02 pm
Have your pediatrician check if your son needs to seen by a urologist.
It's very common for boys that had a bris that their p*nis hole heals too small.
I had this with more than 1 of my boys.
B"h we corrected the issue and an unexpected bonus was no more sprayed up toilets.

Edited because ima censor didn't let me use the correct anatomy name.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children