Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Pros and cons of the flu shot
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:00 pm
Dont get the flu shot. There I said it.

[this post and the ensuing discussion were split off another thread about bad parenting advice -Yael]

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:04 pm
Amother ginger, the years I gave the flu shot, everyone got the flu. The years I didn't give, no one got the flu.
My doctor told me that the flu shot doesnt prevent the flu, it just makes the symptoms less severe when you do get the flu.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
Amother ginger, the years I gave the flu shot, everyone got the flu. The years I didn't give, no one got the flu.
My doctor told me that the flu shot doesnt prevent the flu, it just makes the symptoms less severe when you do get the flu.

This. I had the same.

I told my dh that the flu shot was supposed to minimize the symptoms, he said, could have fooled me.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:34 pm
I'm a nurse. I personally watched children die from a preventable disease. Not one person who got the flu shot died from the flu.

esuss

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:

I agree. The year that I missed giving my kids the flu shot they all got the flu and then on top of that they all got a secondary infection. They were sick for close to 3 weeks from this. Every year that I gave the flu shot they did not get the flu.

amother
Copper

amother wrote:
I'm a nurse. I personally watched children die from a preventable disease. Not one person who got the flu shot died from the flu.

But many get very sick - like paralyzed- from the flu shot.

And many who got the flu from the flu shot may not have gotten the flu to begin with.

Anyway, how many people actually die from the flu to begin with?

amother
Rose

Amother ginger, if when I don't give the flu shot no one gets the flu, and when I do give the flu shot everyone gets flu, why in the world should we take the flu shot? That would be bad parenting. I'm far from the only one who's had it like this.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:38 pm
amother wrote:

Scientists and doctors have a hard time predicting the next season's flu strains. If they are right, that vaccine will completely prevent that particular flu. If there's a strain they didn't predict, the vaccine won't be effective at all against it.

I, personally, choose to give the shot so my family will at least be protected against the predicted strains.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:39 pm
esuss wrote:
I agree. The year that I missed giving my kids the flu shot they all got the flu and then on top of that they all got a secondary infection. They were sick for close to 3 weeks from this. Every year that I gave the flu shot they did not get the flu.

Tamiflu worked like a charm for us.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:42 pm
amother wrote:

Anyway, how many people actually die from the flu to begin with?

80,000 last year

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:42 pm
amother wrote:

This is not for or against the flu shot - According to the CDC 80% of the children who died from the flu were not vaccinated, meaning that approximately 20% of the children who died were vaccinated. So lets not hype the circumstances.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/.....s.htm

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:46 pm
I stand corrected. I'm sorry.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:47 pm
amother wrote:
Scientists and doctors have a hard time predicting the next season's flu strains. If they are right, that vaccine will completely prevent that particular flu. If there's a strain they didn't predict, the vaccine won't be effective at all against it.

I, personally, choose to give the shot so my family will at least be protected against the predicted strains.

Even if they do get it right, the flu vaccine is only effective for a few months. The virus mutates so fast, that 4 months down the road, the virus has developed into a new strain, making the current vaccine ineffective. Very often this is a cause of a late season wave.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:49 pm
amother wrote:

Funny, I find this to be great advice. Oh, well. Different strokes and all that....

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:
80,000 last year

Probably because the flu vaccine was extremely inneffective last year.

And the flu shot itself can actually cause severe side effects.

esther36

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:56 pm
I lost my five year old niece to the flu last year and no she wasn't vaccinated! And the Dr said all those that died from the flu weren't vaccinated!!! It's so clear! Only a fool wouldn't vaccinate!

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
80,000 last year

Including 180 kids. Yes, flu can be deadly
How many do you think were paralyzed or otherwise severely injured by the shot? Seriously.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:31 pm
amother wrote:
Including 180 kids. Yes, flu can be deadly
How many do you think were paralyzed or otherwise severely injured by the shot? Seriously.

Well, they refuse to report it so we have no idea. But an awful lot.

I was listening to a local radio show and the host asked people to call in with side effects they had gotten from the flu shot - there was an avalanche. Many of the callers were middle aged or older, but that's the demographic they do encourage to get the shot...

Maybe someone someday will do a real study on the data. But I'm not holding my breath.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:35 pm
Well thanks another ginger for derailing a thread that could’ve been interesting Rolling Eyes May as well change the subject line now to “Let’s discuss the flu vaccine,” because then I would’ve known not to click on it when I wanted a lighthearted thread about bad parenting advice.

Maryann

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
Tamiflu worked like a charm for us.

What's tamiflu
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics