Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Counter tops

tsc3

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 9:37 am
Not sure where to post this.
What do u prefer - kitchen counters with a rim or no rim?
Referring to marble or similar.
I think no rim is classier and more modern, but I have a rim now and am used to soaping up the whole counter to clean it without the water escaping.
Is the look worth the hassle?
Anything else I should consider?
Thanks

tsc3

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:19 pm
Bump

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 1:35 pm
I have no idea what you're talking about. Can you post a picture? Obviously there are different ways to shape the edge of the counters - beveled, bull-nose, round, waterfall, etc. but it sounds like you're talking about something entirely different that comes up past the rest of the counter height??

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:06 pm
The OP is referring to a marine edge. You can do one with stainless steel and you may still be able to find postform laminate counters with a raised front edge. Granite and marble, no I don't think so.

tsc3

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:51 pm
I guess this is something only in Israel? There's an option for the edge of the counter to be raised so water won't fall off. That's how Israelis use a counter squeegee thing to push all the water back in to the sink without it going on to the floor.

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realize it was Israeli.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:04 pm
tsc3 wrote:
I guess this is something only in Israel? There's an option for the edge of the counter to be raised so water won't fall off. That's how Israelis use a counter squeegee thing to push all the water back in to the sink without it going on to the floor.

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realize it was Israeli.

In Israel the dominant counter type is engineered quartz (like Cambria or Caesarstone). Because it is molded, it might be possible to mold it with a marine edge, or possibly an edge piece is being added afterwards, like molding. I have not seen this in the USA. Could you post a link?

And to answer your original question, yes, I do like raised edge counters. They keep liquids from dripping onto the floor and I'm fine with the look.

etky

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:13 pm
tsc3 wrote:
Not sure where to post this.
What do u prefer - kitchen counters with a rim or no rim?
Referring to marble or similar.
I think no rim is classier and more modern, but I have a rim now and am used to soaping up the whole counter to clean it without the water escaping.
Is the look worth the hassle?
Anything else I should consider?
Thanks

This - aesthetics or practicality - is the eternal question, and you basically summed up the considerations of the dillema in your OP.
The only thing I might add is that in case you decide against the "kant", they now make counters with a narrow channel on the underside, over the cabinets, that prevents any water from dripping into the cabinet below. Instead it drips onto the floor.

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:19 pm
I have granite counters with the raised edges you're referring to (and yes, I think it's a mostly Israeli phenomenon). Personally I really like it. It keeps things from spilling off the counters and makes them really easy to wash and kasher. I agree counters look nicer without, but in my own kitchen I care more about functionality than esthetics.

tsc3

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:20 pm
etky wrote:
This - aesthetics or practicality - is the eternal question, and you basically summed up the considerations of the dillema in your OP.
The only thing I might add is that in case you decide against the "kant", they now make counters with a narrow channel on the underside, over the cabinets, that prevents any water from dripping into the cabinet below. Instead it drips onto the floor.

That's very interesting and good to know.
Thanks

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:29 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
In Israel the dominant counter type is engineered quartz (like Cambria or Caesarstone). Because it is molded, it might be possible to mold it with a marine edge, or possibly an edge piece is being added afterwards, like molding. I have not seen this in the USA. Could you post a link?

https://youtu.be/s2k84JPGt1I
Here's a short video (in Hebrew, sorry) that gives examples of a couple of different types of edges ("kantim"). It doesn't have to be Caeserstone; I have granite counters with a lip (the first kind he shows in the video, which are apparently "old fashioned." Oh well)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics