Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tuition free day school Myrtle Beach

marina

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:26 pm
check this out:

http://lubavitch.com/news/arti......html

what are your thoughts? Is this feasible on a larger scale?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:32 pm
It isn't exactly tuition free and I was very not impressed when I met the school staff. Very unprofessional, had no resources to deal with any sort of added educational needs, etc.
We were also told straight out that the community is mostly israeli and will not be welcoming to non israelis.

Another example, There were a few kids going on a trip when we were there, and they left a kid behind!
How that happened when the school is so tiny is beyond me.
Totally irresponsible.

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
It isn't exactly tuition free and I was very not impressed when I met the school staff. Very unprofessional, had no resources to deal with any sort of added educational needs, etc.
We were also told straight out that the community is mostly israeli and will not be welcoming to non israelis.

Another example, There were a few kids going on a trip when we were there, and they left a kid behind!
Totally irresponsible.

Why isn't it tuition free? And plenty of schools which have tuition are badly organised and lack resources. And you can't blame the school for the community demographics.

That aside, I think its a great model to work from. I would much rather pay $1000 a year for the rest of my life (or as long as I am able) then pay $10000+ per child over 12 years. Even if its not tuition free but greatly reduced.

The problem is in bigger communities with a few schools who gets the money?

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:00 pm
amother wrote:

Totally irresponsible.

The school is tuition free. It appears the $1000 collected is a voluntary deductible donation rather than a non-deductible tuition expense.

I wish them great success.

Thanks for posting Marina.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:38 pm
I'm not sure why it isnt tuition free, but when we asked them we were told it will not be free for us.
I'm not blaming them for the community, but they had this same rude unwelcoming attitude.
And whether they collect tuition or not, they were poorly run & disorganized.
I'm just pointing out for ppl to be aware that it isn't the utopia it sounds like.
We spent quite a few hours there checking it out.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:48 pm
marina wrote:
check this out:

http://lubavitch.com/news/arti......html

what are your thoughts? Is this feasible on a larger scale?

In a word, no. Its not feasible, and would never work on a large scale.

Why, you ask? Because there's too much infighting between groups, and a lack of agreement over what should be taught. Call it the Balkanization of Jewish education.

You want my money going to schools where boys aren't taught basic secular subjects in high school? He-yull no.

And people on the right would not be enthused with their monies going to teaching gemorah to girls, or to AP economics, or whatever else.

No one will agree to anything. Including what is taught. Meaning that even if people give, it would only be to their "own" school. And we're back to where we are now.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:55 pm
amethyst it sounds like you have quite the axe to grind perhaps you should approach them and discuss your concerns directly and in private to best resolve

it sounds like a phenomenal model that could address the tuition concerns of many who want jewish education for their children

for all the complaining about tuition here is an option! a solution for some! and could provide a model for many more B"H

amazing - thanks for posting

much hatzlocha!!!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:06 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
In a word, no. Its not feasible, and would never work on a large scale.

Why, you ask? Because there's too much infighting between groups, and a lack of agreement over what should be taught. Call it the Balkanization of Jewish education.

You want my money going to schools where boys aren't taught basic secular subjects in high school? He-yull no.

And people on the right would not be enthused with their monies going to teaching gemorah to girls, or to AP economics, or whatever else.

No one will agree to anything. Including what is taught. Meaning that even if people give, it would only be to their "own" school. And we're back to where we are now.

I think outside of big communities, like NY and Lakewood, where there’s another school on every corner, you do not really have that issue. Many communities have one school, and if you want your kids to get a Jewish education, that’s where they go. There is much more cohesion outside of NY. I never even heard of not teaching secular subjects until I came to NY.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:07 pm
I think it’s a great model, and can very likely work outside of big communities with more than one school.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:05 pm
Um excuse me, zero axe to grind.
We strongly considered moving there and spent a long time looking into the community.
I am explaining what happened to me so that ppl go in open minded.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:16 pm
no offense meant
just looking at the model not thinking of moving there

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:21 pm
Thanks for explaining 😊

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:25 pm
it's not feasible on a large scale because essentially the "community" consists of people in an extremely isolated Jewish community who want to retain some Jewish identity. To me effectively it translates into all members of a shul/synagogue being asked to donate $1000 minimum to further the needs of the Jewish community.

I would imagine that people in every community who identify with some form of Jewish institution give at least that much to support the needs of the Jewish institution. What is unique is that this particular community/institution supports a school. Also, a significant number of kids in the community attend after school which is pretty much the model for most secular Jewish kids who attend Hebrew school after regular school and on Sunday and pay at least that amount. And the preschool charges the "going" rate - again there would be Jewish parents who would opt for an excellent pre-school program with a Jewish identity even if they then sent to public school.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 5:21 am
sixofwands, how about schools that don't fit into certain basic criteria don't get this funding? Like in Israel, not all schools get government funding. Boys schools that do not teach secular subjects don't. Parents who choose to send to those types of schools will carry on paying tuition.

Another issue might be orthodox parents who are uncomfortable funding a non orthodox school. Personally I would go by rabbinic guidance on that. Our taxes go to fund all sorts of things we may not agree with but we still pay taxes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics