Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
S/O beshow thread - how did you get engaged?

Rappel

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 11:56 pm
Those are some intense minhagim listed in that thread!

I got engaged with a wooden beaded necklace and a scarf (both of which I love to this day). DH later gave me a ring which had belonged to his grandmother (after he got wind that one of my co-workers was teasing me about the necklace). We had met up in the central bus station in Jerusalem, and afterward walked over to the Rose Gardens to call everyone about our engagement. (It was a freezing December night, but we didn't know of anyone who would take us both in - the only people we knew in the city were strictly into gender separation, and I couldn't go to his yeshiva.)

What was your engagement like?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 1:00 am
My husband had this whole big thing planned, in the kotel tunnels etc.
But then I was going to visit family in america for a while and it was a quick change, on his part, he just wanted to ask me before I left, so he asked me in the middle of my kitchen of my apartment I lived in with other girls, while we were preparing dinner (only we were there, no recollection where my roommates were Smile )
It was not very romantic, but was lovely and I can still remember everything, including the smells of the food we ate Smile

DVOM

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:15 am
My husband asked me to marry him after we'd been dating for about 2 months, at 3 in the morning, in his car, after a very long date (he'd picked me up that day at noon).

I answered: Sorry, I'm not ready (I actually kinda was ready, but for me, two months was a crazily short amount of time to date).

He said: I don't mean to freak you out, but I've been ready since the first time I met you. I called my dad on the way home from our first date and told him I'd met the woman I'm going to marry. I also told the cop who pulled me over that night. I'd been driving like a lunatic and singing on the top of my lungs. "Sorry officer," I said, "But I just met the woman I'm going to marry." So really, I've been waiting for you for a while. Don't worry, I'll wait as long as you need.

He was a dork, but I'd never felt more safe, beautiful, and loved in my life than when I was with him. I called him the next day and said that actually, I was ready to get engaged too. He rented the roof of a restaurant and filled it with flowers and got on one knee and asked me to marry him the next night. We're married for 11 years, and I still feel protected, loved, beautiful and safe.

Shuly

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:34 am
DH had a whole outdoor thing planned but it started pouring so he proposed in the car.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 4:14 am
My husband brought over flowers Friday afternoon and then told me he actually forgot something. So we got in the car and he drove to this backyard and started talking to me and then opened the garage door. Inside he had decorated it stunning with flowers and balloons and rose petals. Then he got down one knee and proposed with a rose. It was a surprise and the most beautiful engagement I can think of. We had also been dating for really short but really fell for each other.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 4:43 am
My husband proposed in a beautiful location. I didn't know all the rest existed outside of movies.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 5:21 am
He surprised me by the beach. There were candles rose petals champagne red carpet... it was very beautiful and romantic.

He got down on his knee and said some beautiful words which I didn’t hear cuz I was shrieking, “yes! Yes! Yes! My gd yes!!”

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 7:24 am
I got engaged when a rebitzin I am close to walked into the room where I and my potential husband had just had a beshow and announced that her father, a big rebbe, had said that we should get engaged that very night if we were both comfortable with the other.

I was shocked; I had only seen him twice, on the same day, only hours apart. I was like, "I need a minute here..." and walked off to hyperventilate.

But I was back a minute later, and was all ready. I had known the second I met him that I would marry him.

It's been more than a decade now, and I still like the guy. Wink (Most days.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics