Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working full time - supper?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
do u have to drain the spegetti? What happens to the water when u cook the pasta with veg??

That’s the beauty of it. You don’t boil the spaghetti in a cauldron full of water, but cook it in just a little bit of water in a frying pan, Keep an eye on it and add more if needed. Between what the spaghetti absorbs in cooking and what evaporates from the fire, there should be almost no liquid left, just enough to serve as a kind of sauce. Nothing to drain! If you see it’s too wet for your liking, uncover partway through cooking and let some water evaporate.

sleepwalking

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 1:45 pm
Fulltime working mom of 4. I go through the same thing every.single.day. when I have a good week I have supper prepared on Sunday and take out the night before (unfortunately happens less and less Confused ) then the night before I cook the side dish so I only have to mix the side dish in the aluminium foil of the main and warm it up in the oven.
If you serve potatoes then peel it and put it in pot with water and when you come home you just boil it while the main is heating up in the oven.
(That is for a GOOD week, on the not so good weeks kids eat egg, tuna, cheese sandwiches no one ever died of overdosing on these)
Good luck I feel your pain!

finprof

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:03 pm
I cook on Sundays for Sunday-Thursday. I make a weekly menu and post it on the fridge so everyone knows what they can and can't take from the fridge. I usually make a pizza, pasta dish, rice dish or quiche, fish dish and a soup. All dishes are heavy on veggies so they well in the fridge.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:16 pm
It’s really hard op. #thestruggleisreal

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:14 pm
sleepwalking wrote:
Fulltime working mom of 4. I go through the same thing every.single.day. when I have a good week I have supper prepared on Sunday and take out the night before (unfortunately happens less and less Confused ) then the night before I cook the side dish so I only have to mix the side dish in the aluminium foil of the main and warm it up in the oven.
If you serve potatoes then peel it and put it in pot with water and when you come home you just boil it while the main is heating up in the oven.
(That is for a GOOD week, on the not so good weeks kids eat egg, tuna, cheese sandwiches no one ever died of overdosing on these)
Good luck I feel your pain!

Im like this too and I saw a few posts of women who serve healthy but dont really cook supper on weeknights.

Op im like u. Im struggling. My kids need my attention and I get home with them. Plus, im exhausted from work and can only focus on the kids so I dont cook suppers but serve simple...over the weekend I dont have time to make suppers for the week like others suggested bec I have to cook and bake for shabbos in advance and do other errands ...also I would have no space left in my small freezer.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
Im like this too and I saw a few posts of women who serve healthy but dont really cook supper on weeknights.

Op im like u. Im struggling. My kids need my attention and I get home with them. Plus, im exhausted from work and can only focus on the kids so I dont cook suppers but serve simple...over the weekend I dont have time to make suppers for the week like others suggested bec I have to cook and bake for shabbos in advance and do other errands ...also I would have no space left in my small freezer.

I got a big freezer to double and freeze shabbos food. I really try to make suppers the night before. I find it hard to plan and make suppers for the wk on sunday night. Maybe thats because I fry a lot and make of stuff in skillet pans. cant imagine these freeze well. Maybe I should plan better to make it easier.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 5:05 pm
This year I arranged my schedule to leave T 3. I pick up two of my kids on the way home and my other child gets home at 5. It's great to have the time to do something!!! I never had that before.

I leave chicken and rice or potatoes in the oven all day sometimes at 225.

I try to think about it the night before so I know what I am doing. I keep soups in the freezer to pull out.

westchestermom

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 12:07 am
I give healthy power snacks. Egg, banana, Clementine, string cheese, cucumbers. We go from school to therapy so this way my little one ate real food and if she doesn't eat dinner I don't mind.

Teacher_EW

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 12:39 am
I get home at 4:30 with my 4 year old in tow.
I always feed her last night's supper. She knows it's how it works in our house. On the way home she'll sometimes ask, "what did you eat last night?" Then I usually cook a quick dinner at 6:30ish when she goes to sleep. Husband and I eat between 7:30 and 8. And dd's portion goes in the fridge for tomorrow.

gold21

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 12:42 am
They are 1.5 and 3.

They are still babies.

They can have grilled cheese and sliced kirbies for supper. Or fish sticks, fries, and peppers. They are still so little, they don't need much.

Snuggle them up and don't sweat the suppers. They will benefit much more from your time and attention.

Good Luck.

rowo

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 1:59 am
mha3484 wrote:
I have one for Meat and Milk. I used my milchig one to make rice in 12 min for dinner last night. Tonight I am using the meat one to make chicken lo mein. I use it a lot for preparing for shabbos.

I don't doubt the awesomeness of instapots, but using the absorption method, it takes 13 minutes.
1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cups water, set it on the stove, and set the timer for 13 minutes. Water needs to come to a boil. You can increase the amounts, just keep the same ratio. Works every time
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics