Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What petty hill are you willing to die on?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

gingertop

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:32 pm
(There was such a twitter challenge some time back but I couldn't post mine on a timeline where most people are not frum and don't get to deal with this argument.)

Mine is:

No, you are not going to convince me of any tznius rule or other control freakery by saying I am a queen and "would the Queen of England do this/wear this". Nu uh. Nope. Never. Not when hell freezes over.
You can threaten me. You can preach. You can cajole. You can say that you will send a hit squad after me. You cannot, for the love of the almighty G-d tell me that I'm a queen in order to advance whatever the cause du jour is. And if you do, I'll fight you.
Shooting Arrow

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:39 pm
"Spelling and grammar don't count anymore. Everyone knows what you meant to say. Besides, there's spellcheck now."

NO! The language arts cannot be allowed to die! The collective IQ of Western civilization is dropping at a record rate, and I for one, will not stand for it.

"Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" should be mandatory reading for every English speaker.

Fox

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:43 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
"Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" should be mandatory reading for every English speaker.

"You can pry the Oxford comma out of my cold, dead, and motionless hands!"

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:45 pm
Fox wrote:

Yay, team Oxford comma! Very Happy

From another thread - "my close nit community." Um, y'all might want to invest in some lice shampoo. Just sayin'. LOL

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:54 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

From another thread - "my close nit community." Um, y'all might want to invest in some lice shampoo. Just sayin'. LOL

Rolling Laughter LOL

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:02 pm
gingertop wrote:
(There was such a twitter challenge some time back but I couldn't post mine on a timeline where most people are not frum and don't get to deal with this argument.)

Mine is:

No, you are not going to convince me of any tznius rule or other control freakery by saying I am a queen and "would the Queen of England do this/wear this". Nu uh. Nope. Never. Not when hell freezes over.
You can threaten me. You can preach. You can cajole. You can say that you will send a hit squad after me. You cannot, for the love of the almighty G-d tell me that I'm a queen in order to advance whatever the cause du jour is. And if you do, I'll fight you.
Shooting Arrow

Ask them if they would wear this

or this

Or this, by the woman who may be queen

Coffee Addict

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:17 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

You never fail to impress me with your great sense of humor! LOL

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:29 pm
So far you're all my comrades in arms.

When the Queen of England does her own grocery shopping and mops her own floors, then and only then may you ask “does the Queen of England___________?”

Another of my favorite (not) spurious analogies is “When you treasure something, you hide it.” Sometimes, some people do.( Especially if they stole it from the Louvre.) Other people davka show off that which they treasure the most. How else do you explain diamond kallah jewelry?

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:30 pm
Regarding works of literature: Just because more than one interpretation is valid doesn’t mean that *all* interpretations are valid.

And if you don’t know what you’re talking about, your opinion is as relevant as mine about economics, biology, or IT. Literature is not a free-for-all based on feelings.

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 5:22 pm
Girls are supposed to have higher voices than boys, and if their voices are not denied training, those voices are healthier, carry better, and can do more interesting harmonies.

Girls do not have falsetto. That voice that you think is falsetto? That's your natural singing voice, that nobody ever taught you to use. If you would quit fighting, and get used to it, you would find a whole new world out there.

And all the teachers who are only teaching girls sing in the basement part of their register are in danger of damaging yet another generation of vocal chords.

L25

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 6:17 pm
so interesting imasinger. when I went for voice training she told me that I had a very high voice and that I could go a lot higher then I thought. that if I try going lower it will be harder for me to stay on key. I was pretty surprised but matches what you are saying.

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 7:20 pm
imasinger wrote:
Girls are supposed to have higher voices than boys, and if their voices are not denied training, those voices are healthier, carry better, and can do more interesting harmonies.

Girls do not have falsetto. That voice that you think is falsetto? That's your natural singing voice, that nobody ever taught you to use. If you would quit fighting, and get used to it, you would find a whole new world out there.

And all the teachers who are only teaching girls sing in the basement part of their register are in danger of damaging yet another generation of vocal chords.

Have to every heard Nick petira sing... Look him up on you tube. He's got this amazing range from extremely high to deep

My pretty Hill ... Totally forgot... I'll come back when I remember

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 7:21 pm
I remember

I am and now will always be a girl. Don't call me a woman

simba

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 7:25 pm
The hills I'm willing to die on are far from petty!
They rank very high in my book!

Last edited by simba on Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

OBnursemom

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 8:19 pm
I would be willing to dress like Kate, but only if I get her figure too.

Orchid

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 9:18 pm
zaq wrote:
So far you're all my comrades in arms.

When the Queen of England does her own grocery shopping and mops her own floors, then and only then may you ask “does the Queen of England___________?”

Another of my favorite (not) spurious analogies is “When you treasure something, you hide it.” Sometimes, some people do.( Especially if they stole it from the Louvre.) Other people davka show off that which they treasure the most. How else do you explain diamond kallah jewelry?

Or that the queen doesn't drive herself around, so that entirely sums up why women can't drive. Rolling Eyes

ssss1

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 9:37 pm
imasinger wrote:

Do you mind explaining this? How do I know if I'm singing right (naturally) or not?

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 10:58 pm
ssss1 wrote:
Do you mind explaining this? How do I know if I'm singing right (naturally) or not?

I'll pm you, maybe after Shabbos.

I don't want to derail a very interesting thread into voice technique. Smile

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:23 pm
Fox wrote:

Cheers

chanie18

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:32 pm
Orchid wrote:
Or that the queen doesn't drive herself around, so that entirely sums up why women can't drive. Rolling Eyes

What do you mean? The queen does drive (not in London, but still).
During the war she actually worked as a mechanic fixing vehicles (there was a story not so long ago that her jeep broke down on the balmoral estate and she helped fix it or something)
Page 1 of 10   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics