Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What petty hill are you willing to die on?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

pause

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:56 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Can't stand when people assume it's 'my husband and I' instead of 'my husband and me' because the former just sounds more intelligent.

"Thank you so much for your gift! It meant so much to my husband and I..."

Gahhhhh!! At wits end At wits end

Or when people say "My husband and myself." Is that any better???

pause

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:59 pm
watergirl wrote:
Its COST. Not COSTED.

Its “stop nursing”, not “stopping to nurse”.

And a woman over a certain age is a woman dispite her marital status. Not a girl.

Oh, and I’m part of Team Oxford Comma.

And it's Burst, not busted. As in, the pipe burst.

pause

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 12:02 am
I hate when peopl tell their kids that they have to take "chances" when they mean take turns.

Or when kids take recess to school. They take snack FOR recess (time).

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 12:10 am
penguin wrote:
How about "custom" jewelry? Did you mean costume? Then please say so (includes pandants of course).

I once found advertised SURGICAL SEAL EARRINGS

I called the store and suggested they change their wording to read SURGICAL STEEL EARRINGS because instead of jewelry (custom? lol) I picture ball-balancing, flipper-clapping sea life....

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 9:18 am
NovelConcept wrote:
I once found advertised SURGICAL SEAL EARRINGS

I called the store and suggested they change their wording to read SURGICAL STEEL EARRINGS because instead of jewelry (custom? lol) I picture ball-balancing, flipper-clapping sea life....

I would have assumed they were selling seal-shaped earrings. Not that I'm up on that trend myself.

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:07 am
pause wrote:
I hate when peopl tell their kids that they have to take "chances" when they mean take turns.

Or when kids take recess to school. They take snack FOR recess (time).

That's along the lines of make Shabbos.

What about "make hair"?

Emotional

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:19 am
Boca00 wrote:
I was reticent to post this but, I must say, I defiantly would'nt have expected this many people to be so triggered by grammar and spelling mistakes. Sounds like an important issue and it is good that you brought it up to my fellow imamother's and I.

And now, if I may avert the convo to a more important question... anyone has a healthy baked heaven saucy schnitzel recipe? Gotta loose a few lb's to fit into my gown.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

bigsis144

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:29 am
Squishy wrote:
That's along the lines of make Shabbos.

What about "make hair"?

I try to forgive certain expressions that irk me by thinking of them as harmless regional colloquialisms. I know Pittsburghers who say "my hair needs washed" which is the most NONSENSICAL phrase I've ever heard.

Maybe I just get annoyed at frummie butchering of grammar because I hear it more often? Maybe I'm classist and don't expect those dang Appalachians to speak English good anyway?

I am fascinated by the evolution of language, though, and try not to let linguistic prescriptivism get in the way of appreciating other speech/writing patterns, as long as they have internal utility and clarity, ya know what I mean?

So, internet grammar ("I can't even", non-standard capitalization For Emphasis when your voice cannot be heard) is just another dialect, but bad spelling is CRIMINAL.

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:44 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I try to forgive certain expressions that irk me by thinking of them as harmless regional colloquialisms. I know Pittsburghers who say "my hair needs washed" which is the most NONSENSICAL phrase I've ever heard.

Maybe I just get annoyed at frummie butchering of grammar because I hear it more often? Maybe I'm classist and don't expect those dang Appalachians to speak English good anyway?

I am fascinated by the evolution of language, though, and try not to let linguistic prescriptivism get in the way of appreciating other speech/writing patterns, as long as they have internal utility and clarity, ya know what I mean?

So, internet grammar ("I can't even", non-standard capitalization For Emphasis when your voice cannot be heard) is just another dialect, but bad spelling is CRIMINAL.

What annoys me is when my family will say things like "buy Shabbos" or "eat by a friend's house". To anyone who doesn't live near a frum area, it sounds wacky.

Appalachians may not be edumacated, so they are forgiven. But I don't like my family sounding off. They get corrected.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 11:09 am
bigsis144 wrote:

Bad spelling could be typos that even spellcheck wouldn't catch. Sometimes I've found myself typing homophones. So I'll cut slack for that. And yes, I will put up with evolving language and occasionally I even find myself saying it.

But - and I may be outing myself here - when people ask me if my children are good, I answer, "I daven all the time that they should be.B"H they're well."

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 11:40 am
Fart is not a bad word.

Yocheved_G

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 11:41 am
When someone says “in the mood of” instead of ”in the mood for” .. The former would mean - I feel as though I am, rather than the latter which indicates preferring something.

There is currently a complete breakdown in society with regard to the usage of ‘are’. It has become ubiquitous for ‘is’ and it’s contraction ‘’s’ (which indicate singular) to be used exclusively.

Emotional

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 11:54 am
andrea levy wrote:
Fart is not a bad word.

It's not a bad word, but if somebody wants to be extra classy they might say "pass gas" etc...

imasoftov

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 1:44 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
This used to bother me until one poster told me that in israel, it's all called schnitzel. Is that true, imamothers?

The proper name is "chazeh of parus" but if you ask for schnitzel at the butcher you'll get the same thing, sliced and pounded chicken breast. If you want them whole ask for just "chazeh of" (you don't have to specify deboned). I've never bought just breasts on the bone in Israel, I think there's such a demand for deboned that if you want them on the bone you have to buy a whole chicken, which is OK because if I'm cooking chicken in pieces I want a mix, so I order a chicken cut into four or eight pieces or get a whole one and do it myself.

Sometimes people (generally in front of me on line when I'm in a hurry) order a chicken cut into pieces and the breasts deboned. I'll only do that if I wanted a small number of chicken breasts and the bin of chazeh of is empty, and I'll ask first if they have any more in the back, and if I do that I'll throw the rest of the chicken into soup or the freezer.

I don't shop in places where you can't say "chazeh" so I don't know if it's different in frummer stores.

shanie5

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 9:25 pm
"Do you eat OUD?" or "Is itOUD?" meaning cholov stam. Drives me nuts!

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:16 pm
Emotional wrote:
It's not a bad word, but if somebody wants to be extra classy they might say "pass gas" etc...

Not saying "fart" isn't extra classy. Talking about passing gas isn't extra classy. There is nothing classy about talking about passing gas.

When you say "fart", you are perceived as a crude, crass, classless person. When you discuss passing gas except in a medical situations, you come across as best immature. If that's how you want to present to the majority of people to see you, continue using the word and discussing flatulence.

Emotional

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:27 pm
Squishy wrote:
Not saying "fart" isn't extra classy. Talking about passing gas isn't extra classy. There is nothing classy about talking about passing gas.

When you say "fart", you are perceived as a crude, crass, classless person. When you discuss passing gas except in a medical situations, you come across as best immature. If that's how you want to present to the majority of people to see you, continue using the word and discussing flatulence.

Why do I feel as though you're wagging your finger at me? Can't I participate in a discussion like everyone else here? So maybe "classy" was the wrong word... sue me.
What the heck gives you the impression that I personally go around discussing bodily functions?
Someone else said her pet peeve was when people think fart is a bad word. So I offered another take on it...
Oh never mind. Another reminder that people leave imamother, or at least post anonymously, for a reason. This is unbelievable.

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:39 pm
Emotional wrote:
Why do I feel as though you're wagging your finger at me? Can't I participate in a discussion like everyone else here? So maybe "classy" was the wrong word... sue me.
What the heck gives you the impression that I personally go around discussing bodily functions?
Someone else said her pet peeve was when people think fart is a bad word. So I offered another take on it...
Oh never mind. Another reminder that people leave imamother, or at least post anonymously, for a reason. This is unbelievable.

You are highly sensitive. I would have made the same post regardless of whether you were amother or not.

The only comment I made directed about what you said is that I disagree that saying passing gas is "extra classy".

No one, least of all me, said that you go around personally discussing passing gas. That comment came from the discussion on this thead and two recent prior ones regarding saying fart.

IMO you are overreacting.

ETA Now that I know that you are so sensitive, I will try to refrain from commenting on your posts.

Simple1

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:48 pm
I don't see what's wrong with "make " or "buy shabbos". Shabbos is specific to our culture, so why can't we have our own related phrases?

penguin

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 11:07 pm
Quote:
Zechusim
Shabbosim
This is proper Yiddish, it's just not proper Hebrew, where it would be zechuyot and shabbatot.

So if someone is speaking English and they insert foreign words, you don't know what language they are inserting.

(It bothers me too, but not so badly.)
Page 8 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics