Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Neronim: 4 or 6 hour and WHY?

ShanaMatele

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 6:04 pm
I'd love to hear from you lovely ladies. Especially the WHY!?!

I've heard different things about summer vs winter. Please explain with sources if possible. Thanks!

(PS Mods: I've tried desperately to add a poll but can't figure it out. Please help! Thanks.)

teachkids

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 6:07 pm
You want them to stay lit as long as you'll be around in the room/ eating, so, if you are someone who during the winter, when you light at 4, sits around the table until 10, it is nice to have the longer ones for then. When you are first lighting at 6, think, do I want them burning till 10 or 12?
I grew up only using the 6s for nights like seder when we were up really late.

rachelmom1

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 6:50 pm
I use the 4 hr ones all year. They seem to burn longer than 4 hrs anyway. Anyone else only use the name brand cause it works better?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 7:03 pm
ShanaMatele wrote:
I'd love to hear from you lovely ladies. Especially the WHY!?!

I've heard different things about summer vs winter. Please explain with sources if possible. Thanks!

(PS Mods: I've tried desperately to add a poll but can't figure it out. Please help! Thanks.)

Some people might want their candles to last all through the meal but spend many hours in shul before coming home for the meal?
We use 4 hours year round.

rachelmom1 wrote:
I use the 4 hr ones all year. They seem to burn longer than 4 hrs anyway. Anyone else only use the name brand cause it works better?

I only use Simcha Candle Deluxe Paraffin 4 hour candles because they drip less. But I also need to make sure the wicks are standing straight up before I light them in order to avoid dripping wax.
ETA: Now I realize this thread is not about candles, but another from of shabbos lighting.

gibberish

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 8:47 pm
I have the same question! I would love to use neironim that burn for 1.5 to 2 hours max. I don't really like going to sleep while the candles are still burning and would prefer that they go out earlier. I too find that they burn longer than advertised.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 8:51 pm
4 hours, because I dislike going to sleep with flames still going and the 6-hour ones often keep going too long. Even the 4-hour ones generally last longer than 4 hours, though I've never timed them precisely. We never have long meals, though. If I had a larger family with numerous guests shmoozing all night then I would probably want candles that burn longer at least in the winter.

lkwdmom2

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:08 pm
I use the 3 hour ones and they burn long enough. some still burning when we go to sleep

Esheschayil18

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 5:20 pm
6 winter 4 summer. In winter I light them many hours earlier and we are sitting around longer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars