Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
High School for BT girl
1  2  Next

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 10:07 pm
Is there anything like Machon Chana for teen/high school girls? Location isn’t an issue as my daughter can board. TIA

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:04 am
Many teens can acclimate pretty quickly into a non-BT high school.
I even know of girls that went into Satmar and excelled, even picking up fluent Yiddish.
I also know of a girl that converted and went to Vizhnitz when she was 16.
I'm a teen BT, who ended up at Machon Chana when I was 17, and there was one girl younger than me, a 16 year old. Most were older. But either way, a teen BT can find her place.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:06 am
Are you sure boarding is a good idea? Seems like a lot of changes at once.

ludicrous

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 2:10 am
what is machon chana?

I know some a BT girl who went to Bais Yaakov of Denver and stayed in the dorm that they have

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 4:12 am
OP here. To clarify, we are BT parents since she was young, but it was a transition over the years. She is the oldest. Her litvish schools put a lot of pressure on her, and she now wants a modern school. Anything but Bais Yaakov, she requested. She is looking at a co-ed school, for example. And she wants to board because we live way out of town. When she saw Machon Chana online she said she wanted to go there. I’ll call and talk to them but I think she’s too young.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 6:13 am
Shalsheles BY, BCBA,Nefesh.
For those who recommended satmar, viznitz please don't. I have a Yemenite friend that went off because she went to such a school and it was a different culture.
Thanks

tsc3

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 6:17 am
What about temima high school in Atlanta? Small and very warm.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 6:55 am
amother wrote:
For those who recommended satmar, viznitz please don't. I have a Yemenite friend that went off because she went to such a school and it was a different culture.
Thanks

She doesn’t want a BY school. What are BCBA and Nefesh? I don’t see them online.

sim

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 7:12 am
tsc3 wrote:
What about temima high school in Atlanta? Small and very warm.

I second this.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 10:09 am
Just so you are aware, OP, Machon Chana split a couple of years back and is now two different schools: Machon Chana and Machon L'Yahadus. Machon Chana has the old principal and name, but Machon L'Yahadus has all the staff and atmosphere that made it what it was.

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 10:21 am
If you dont want a Bais Yaakov, Hannah Sacks in Chicago may be of interest, I would call it BY lite. Girls board not dorm. Ida Crown in Skokie is a traditional MO co ed HS and they have a bunch of kids from out of the area that board too.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 10:25 am
OP, is your daughter interested specifically in an MO high school? Do you prefer an all-girls school or co-ed?

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
Just so you are aware, OP, Machon Chana split a couple of years back and is now two different schools: Machon Chana and Machon L'Yahadus. Machon Chana has the old principal and name, but Machon L'Yahadus has all the staff and atmosphere that made it what it was.

Old principal? Who are you referring to? Rabbi Majeski is now under Machon L'Yahadus name.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
Old principal? Who are you referring to? Rabbi Majeski is now under Machon L'Yahadus name.

Mrs. Labkowski.

Perhaps "principal" wasn't the correct title.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 2:01 pm
I don't know her age However If she is a girl that was Bris Yaakov and is now opened to co-ed school than Bnot Chaya Academy (BCA) Rabbi Z. Wallerstein's school can be a good option. It's an all Girls' High School with dorm options available.
Note: There is no Elementary school at BCA.

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 2:18 pm
Forestgreen isnt that school for girls with serious emotional challenges?

watergirl

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 2:25 pm
mha3484 wrote:
If you dont want a Bais Yaakov, Hannah Sacks in Chicago may be of interest, I would call it BY lite. Girls board not dorm. Ida Crown in Skokie is a traditional MO co ed HS and they have a bunch of kids from out of the area that board too.

I was also going to say ICJA.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 2:50 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Forestgreen isnt that school for girls with serious emotional challenges?

I believe Forestgreen may be referring to something other than Rabbi Wallerstiens Ranch. That's not a school. Maybe she means Ohr Naava. Is Ohr Naava a school?

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 3:19 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks

I'm just curious if you had low scores in reading comprehension as a child, because I did NOT recommend. I stated that I know of girls who went there.

As for Yemenite girls in Satmar, of course it is a difficult culture adjustment.

But for the geyores in Vizhnitz, she wasn't coming from an authentic Jewish path and had to acclimate to a change to a different Jewish culture. She CONVERTED, meaning she changed her entire life and chose that path.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
Mrs. Labkowski.

Perhaps "principal" wasn't the correct title.

Ah, yes. I don't know what she was, but she clearly had her own agenda that was a far cry from what Machon Chana was supposed to be.

Rabbi Majeski is so special, was always devoted solely to girls and staff. Scrounged for every penny to pay his teachers/rebbeim. When Mrs. L. got money, it went to pretty-fying the building. Environment is nice, but ayn kemach, ayn Torah.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics