Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Employment - EMT who wants to wear a skirt at work, NY Metro
Previous  1  2

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 11:36 am
FWIW, I think nursing in an ICU unit is completely different than being out in the field as an EMT in terms of what physical stuff might be required and that might be hampered by not wearing pants.

An emergency room might be more analogous to EMT duties but even in an emergency room it's highly unlikely that a skirt might hamper anything needing to be done as it's done in a contained area and there are generally other personnel around. Yes one could theorize a condition in which a skirt might be a hindrance but it's almost non-existent compared to the realities of EMT work in the field - especially since generally it would be only you and your partner.

I doubt whether there would be an exemption to not wear pants - the only thing I could imagine would be a token type of apron that would stop mid thigh but one only has to make reasonable accommodations for religious practices especially when safety of both worker and others is concerned.

InnerMe

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 11:55 am
BTW here's a link to and article the paramedic who filed a suit against a New York hospital:
https://hamodia.com/2017/05/29.....licy/

At the end it notes that she found a job as a paramedic somewhere where she was able to wear a skirt. Perhaps you can find out where that would be and apply there?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics