Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Female frum architects

boogiebabe

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 4:38 pm
Hi. I'm curious about architecture as a career for a religious woman. Any architects here?

mandksima

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:18 pm
I know a bunch in Israel!

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:26 pm
Following

I have a friend who is also interested in this field but she is looking for someone who is in the field first to see if it's manageable as a career for a frum woman.

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:28 pm
There is a talented one in Monsey. She doesn't seem to be so active anymore. She's in her 80s.

Another Monsey firm employees 3 draftswomen who can draw. They work under a licensed architect who stamps their drawings. One of them is especially talented. Too bad the male gets the offical credit.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:34 pm
boogiebabe wrote:
Hi. I'm curious about architecture as a career for a religious woman. Any architects here?

I don’t see why not, if you can get through the schooling and accreditation.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
I don’t see why not, if you can get through the schooling and accreditation.

You do work closely with men bent over a drafting table.

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:57 pm
Squishy wrote:
There is a talented one in Monsey. She doesn't seem to be so active anymore. She's in her 80s.

Another Monsey firm employees 3 draftswomen who can draw. They work under a licensed architect who stamps their drawings. One of them is especially talented. Too bad the male gets the offical credit.

Licensing requires an apprenticeship, so a leading architect will get “the credit” for several years until the women decide to get their own license. This is not a male or female issue; it’s just a necessary part of the field.

Do these women make their own designs and plans , or do they just draft whatever the architect designs? There’s a big difference between the two as well.

There’s another woman in Monsey who does architectural work, Mrs. Israel.

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:59 pm
boogiebabe wrote:

My husband employs a frum woman in his architectural firm. How do you see architecture being different than any other field, with regards to it being appropriate for frum women?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:01 pm
Maya wrote:
Licensing requires an apprenticeship, so a leading architect will get “the credit” for several years until the women decide to get their own license. This is not a male or female issue; it’s just a necessary part of the field.

Do these women make their own designs and plans , or do they just draft whatever the architect designs? There’s a big difference between the two as well.

There's a woman on Edwin Lane or the next block that is an architect. She actually was the architect for the house I used to live in. I'm not sure if that's Mrs Israel or someone else. I can't remember.

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:05 pm
Maya wrote:

I understand why it is done. It is just a shame that the light isn't shining on their accomplishments, so ladies like OP should know they are out there. Their boss is not a licensed architect either. My understanding is the boss gets the jobs.

One particular woman is especially talented and seems to intuit the clients needs. I only heard her growing praise second hand.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:07 pm
I work with architects on occasion and I don’t see any issue with it. If anything, once you are licensed and established, you can work from home which is great for frum women.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:28 pm
I do residential and kitchen design but am not an architect — it's something I would definitely go for if I were 3 or 4 decades younger. But the tests for certification are very difficult and many architects do not earn that much. I have been considering getting certified as a building designer, which doesn't require a degree in architecture.

I know/have known a few Shomer Shabbos women architects. One is currently not working in that field, and the other works with her husband who is also an architect.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:29 pm
A woman architect I know would discourage frum girls from the field. She said the training is lengthy and then, once you get a job it's grueling with serious time investment. (Think new lawyers.)
That said, there is a new field in architecture that doesn't involve the years of training, but one does have to work under others. I don't know how popular it is out of town.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:05 pm
My friend in her twenties is an architect.

sequoia

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:06 pm
Poemmom is an architect Smile

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:31 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
A woman architect I know would discourage frum girls from the field. She said the training is lengthy and then, once you get a job it's grueling with serious time investment. (Think new lawyers.)
That said, there is a new field in architecture that doesn't involve the years of training, but one does have to work under others. I don't know how popular it is out of town.

Do you have any more details on what this new field is or how one can go about getting certified?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 11:26 pm
I am an architectural drafter working for a frum architect. I thought about becoming an architect myself, but the schooling is difficult and very long. There is no fast track. I also did not see myself having my own firm, but rather working for someone else, so I didn't think it would be cost effective. The reason some say that it isn't a good field for frum women is because you have to go on site and sometimes work with rough men, but in my experience, I found that if I command respect, I get it. I have had no bad experiences, even when dealing with somewhat unsavoury characters
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics