Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Manhattan Neighbourhoods. Help!
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:
I grew up on the UWS and lived in Passaic they have very different feels. Passaic skews yesheivish/ bt, there isn't as strong a MO presence. UWS is really a big mix, I can definitely see a biracial family choosing the UWS for that mix. I always viewed the lower east side as a pain transportation wise. if you look in to Passaic I would suggest looking in to "the Ahavas".
I agree. Speak to Rabbi Eisenman the rabbi of the Ahavas. If you get a house near one of the express bus stops along main Ave you'll have a great commute into the city.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:04 pm
I live in a 1 br that we converted into a 2. It's not bad at all. Just takes a bit of creativity (and an ikea closet). There are companies who specialize in creating rooms.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:54 pm
I know a bi-racial family (one spouse is an Asian convert and looks it) who've been very happy in Passaic and found the community accepting and non-judgmental, and their kids who look quite Asian have done quite well in school there (Yeshiva Ketana).

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, everyone! Orach Chaim on the UES sounds like it might be a possibility. Rents in that area are a bit more reasonable than UWS, and sounds like it might be a good match for us. When you say "transient" -- will there be kids there for mine to play with? Young families?

Yes there be kids to play with! Many kids! these families are mostly doctors affiliated with/residents at/attendings at Mt Sinai hospital. They send to MAnhattan day sch. mostly and I’ve never met a single person from that community who isn’t nice and down to earth normal. Really! But most move out after the 3rd kid.

UWS has more long term people I think. There’s a nice MO community and a nice black/right wing/yeshivish community. UWS has a bunch of different Shuls and tons of kids programming at all different places all within walking distance. Really good for kids. But there is some serious wealth and entitlement going on over there. Some really nice people as well!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:08 pm
now that I think of it I know a biracial family who used to live in passaic, they since made aliya. The father and at least some of their kids have very dark skin. They also went to YKP. I don't think they had any issues. I don't see racism being more of an issue at ybh or the cheder so you would probably fine in Passaic but do more research.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:14 pm
N'sMom wrote:
This.

OP, I have been living on the UWS for a long time, and sent kids through the schools. Dh and I were both out of towners so were used to the kind of inclusiveness you talk about, and definitely found it here. Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

I will agree with this. Inclusive yes!

Used to have kids at MDS but now they’re older. It’s racially more diverse than other Jewish schools. And I think more right than any other mixed co ed NYC yeshiva.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating