Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami vs Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

oliveoil

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:
Posting anonymously because I don't need everyone to know who I am.

I'm a magazine writer (started out in Ami, since then progressed to better places), and I do want to caution posters to not comment on what they specifically dislike about certain writers. You may let the air out of someone's balloon.

Nobody likes to hear criticism. Much less read it from some random strangers online.

You never know if one (or more) of those writers is on here and will feel hurt because you don't appreciate their styles. Yes, there is freedom of speech and opinion, but there is also simply caring for other people and their feelings.

And no, I am not one of those writers named, but I could be!

Sorry, this is ridiculous. When you write publicly, you open yourself up to that.

And actually, good writers do like to hear criticism. It's how we grow.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:38 pm
OP - I strongly suggest you buy (or borrow) a copy of each one week and read them for yourself before making your decision. They are VERY different, as much as they similar and targeted to the same demographic.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:43 pm
amother wrote:
Posting anonymously because I don't need everyone to know who I am.

I'm a magazine writer (started out in Ami, since then progressed to better places), and I do want to caution posters to not comment on what they specifically dislike about certain writers. You may let the air out of someone's balloon.

Nobody likes to hear criticism. Much less read it from some random strangers online.

You never know if one (or more) of those writers is on here and will feel hurt because you don't appreciate their styles. Yes, there is freedom of speech and opinion, but there is also simply caring for other people and their feelings.

And no, I am not one of those writers named, but I could be!

Nissi Unger,? C. B. Weinfeld?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:51 pm
Smile Sorry. Ain't tellin'. Not here, not now.

And yes, I agree that we grow from criticism. But there is a time and place for everything.
I don't think online picking apart of writers' styles is the right way.

An editor guiding her staff to better writing is a way to help, for instance.
Calling a writer's style "corny" is not.
That is an insult.
Not constructive criticism.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 12:19 am
Well, if you are CORNY or elementary grade writer, in their opinion, why cant anyone say their personal opinion. After all, the person that gives opinion is not the EDITOR of a magazine to give constructive criticism. I don't mean anything personal. Just an opinion....

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 12:22 am
And that dress you wore today makes you look fat.

Just my opinion.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 12:25 am
Plum, if you are that sensitive you are definitely in the wrong field.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 12:28 am
As I said, I am neither of those writers, so the comments didn't hurt me personally.
But as Yidden we hold our tongues back from throwing our opinions around where they may hurt others. Because we care about others. That's all.
Yes, we are allowed our opinions and we are allowed to speak of our opinions sitting with friends/family. But posting them in an open forum just seems so wrong.
Just an opinion.

mother4

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 1:22 am
amother wrote:
As I said, I am neither of those writers, so the comments didn't hurt me personally.
But as Yidden we hold our tongues back from throwing our opinions around where they may hurt others. Because we care about others. That's all.
Yes, we are allowed our opinions and we are allowed to speak of our opinions sitting with friends/family. But posting them in an open forum just seems so wrong.
Just an opinion.

That is your opinion. My opinion is that her writing style is corny. My daughter reads the Aim and tells me the same thing almost every time. I just don't get her. In fact, I was holding back from writing to the editors my opinion, bc she obviously works for them.
But you see others here like her, so everyone is entitled to their opinion.
And it's not the same as being fat. This is not about her. She can change the stuff she writes about, IMHO.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 1:35 am
mother4 wrote:
That is your opinion. My opinion is that her writing style is corny.

Straight up Lashon Harah. And no its not the same as commenting on some NYT op ed. Not at all. And you are in the WAY minority as she is by far one of the most beloved frum writers out there today.

farm

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:25 pm
My feedback regarding Circle is that I won't buy it until you include girls in your ads (and magazine- but I haven't bought it to know if they're excluded in the magazine the way they are in all the advertising).

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:44 pm
farm wrote:
My feedback regarding Circle is that I won't buy it until you include girls in your ads (and magazine- but I haven't bought it to know if they're excluded in the magazine the way they are in all the advertising).

That's not my department... but there are definitely girls interviewed, girls feature heavily in stories, and the "mascots" are a boy and girl named Vivi and Kivi - but there are no pictures of girls over a certain age (maybe 7?).

InnerMe

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:49 pm
amother wrote:
Just an opinion.

I'm with you. I agree.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room