Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami vs Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:56 pm
pesek zman wrote:
So it is like, People magazine vs US Weekly?

I guess?

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:57 pm
Mishpacha is very professional; Ami is more "heimish." Recently they had an article where half the article was copy, cut and paste of the email conversation of the author and editor.

Metukah

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:06 pm
I read secular publications and I thoroughly enjoy reading the mishpacha (not always and not all articles).
Funnily enough, I often want to write into them 'not all your readers live in USA'. Current affairs in Israel are pertinent to Jews all around the world, but why so much on USA politics etc? (I'm in England) so I'm surprised that USA readers find it too Israel based.
The few times I have read the ami I was extremely unimpressed.
Mishpacha are great at bringing current issues to the forefront ; mental health, ppd, hgc...

gingertop

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:17 pm
Metukah wrote:

Mishpacha are great at bringing current issues to the forefront ; mental health, ppd, hgc...

Two weeks ago Mishpacha had a first person account about hyperemesis gravidarum. It was a horrifically painful read. I've never understood what people go through. In so many different issues, they expanded my horizons. They do not sweep everything under the rug.
They are pro-frum, pro-Jewish, pro-Israel so I sometimes laugh at their blindspots.
But they do take on a lot of very serious topics all the time.

Metukah

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:19 pm
gingertop wrote:
Two weeks ago Mishpacha had a first person account about hyperemesis gravidarum. It was a horrifically painful read. I've never understood what people go through. In so many different issues, they expanded my horizons. They do not sweep everything under the rug.
They are pro-frum, pro-Jewish, pro-Israel so I sometimes laugh at their blindspots.
But they do take on a lot of very serious topics all the time.

It really was eye opening.

Ruchi

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 4:22 pm
amother wrote:
Rechy Frankfurter ami editor in their used to actually work at mishpacha.

I am told that her husband Rabbi Yitschok Frankfurter also used to work at Mishpacha.
A fall out at Mishpacha led them leave and start publishing their own magazine; The Ami.

Ruchi

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 4:26 pm
Metukah wrote:
I read secular publications and I thoroughly enjoy reading the mishpacha (not always and not all articles).
Funnily enough, I often want to write into them 'not all your readers live in USA'. Current affairs in Israel are pertinent to Jews all around the world, but why so much on USA politics etc? (I'm in England) so I'm surprised that USA readers find it too Israel based.
The few times I have read the ami I was extremely unimpressed.

I do find that the Mishpacha covers way too much Israeli current affairs.
If they would ONLY cover topics within the Israeli current affairs, that are of pertinence to all Jews worldwide, then, that's a different story. The thing is, that they don't.

Metukah

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 5:40 pm
As someone who loves Israel and wishes I could live there, I enjoy reading about Israel issues (although much of it is not new to me).

USA on the other hand. Talk to the hand because the ears ain't listening. Talk to the hand

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:19 pm
Another vote for Mishpacha. Whenever I buy Ami (twice a year pesach & sukas) I'm very turned off. Mishpacha has intelligent, interesting articles. I read FF cover to cover and start reading main issue from the back. (hardly get to the front, I.e. Israeli news). I love the serials, and all feature articles....Off the couch, Lifelines, Shul with a view, Kichels...etc etc

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:10 pm
Mishpacha wins BY FAR for its higher caliber and journalistic integrity.

mother4

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:11 am
I buy both every week. But Mishpacha is way, way better. Occasionally, Ami has a good story or 'vort', and even if its sensationalized, it leaves me insight.
All in all, from reading both, I enjoy the various ideas and input people have to say about.
I just dont understand how people say they love Dina Neuman. Sorry. I cant stand her corny style.
Esther Sender has the same style every. single. time. Basically a thought that led to another thought with no punchline.
I also enjoy the editor way more at Mishpacha than Ami's. Rechy just blandly spells out what I'm gonna be reading anyway. Mishpacha has a better editor IMHO.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:18 am
and I am reading them BECAUSE they are pro frum pro israel and pro jewish.

(if I wanted the other anti biases which may profess to be "objective" I could read the NY newspapers lhavdil)

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:24 am
Ok who’s going to host a wine and magazine party? I’m curious now to read these magazines!

Btw, I’ve never heard so many people rave about editing.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:29 am
I'm still not sure that I have a grasp as to how (if at all) they differ hashkafically?

amother
White

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:30 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Ok who’s going to host a wine and magazine party? I’m curious now to read these magazines!

It's something you only notice and appreciate after reading poorly edited publications.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:33 am
pesek zman wrote:
I'm still not sure that I have a grasp as to how (if at all) they differ hashkafically?

bottom line? they dont really differ. they cater to the exact same demographic- the people who want a frum magazine lying around on shabbos, not the NYT. Most of my friends buy both mags, if there are some underlying differences they are really minute.

iyar

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:36 am
dancingqueen wrote:

Ha! You snatched the thought bubble from right next to the top of my head!
I'd love to join the party!

Mishpacha and Ami both owe Yael $$$ for the free publicity.
How big do you think the boost in circulation will be this week?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:40 am
amother wrote:
bottom line? they dont really differ. they cater to the exact same demographic- the people who want a frum magazine lying around on shabbos, not the NYT. Most of my friends buy both mags, if there are some underlying differences they are really minute.

Haha. I'm def not their target as I have the NY times lying around all Shabbos. But am interested in branching out. Thank you!

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:40 am
amother wrote:
It's something you only notice and appreciate after reading poorly edited publications.

Maybe if you're in the field - I never noticed it.

They don't use "u" for example -- I didn't get a chance to post this on the other thread but that really hurts my eyes!

I think the comparison between US News and People describes it a little. Though it's not People exactly- more like a chatty feel.

Hashkafically, I think Mishpacha is more center. It's definitely to the left of where I am - most of the time - and then sometimes it's more to the right of where I am - which drives me nuts. Ami is a bit more closely aligned to my hashkafos, give or take a little (and sometimes a lot), while Mishpacha is almost never aligned.

I personally like Rabbi Frankfurters interviews. I know - People - but thats just me. I know many of the people he's interviewing, I know some of the writers - so it just feels more comfortable for me.

But it sounds like you would like Mishpacha better. Like everyone here is saying - it's more mainstream.

InnerMe

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:13 am
mother4 wrote:
I buy both every week. But Mishpacha is way, way better. Occasionally, Ami has a good story or 'vort', and even if its sensationalized, it leaves me insight.
All in all, from reading both, I enjoy the various ideas and input people have to say about.
I just dont understand how people say they love Dina Neuman. Sorry. I cant stand her corny style.
Esther Sender has the same style every. single. time. Basically a thought that led to another thought with no punchline.
I also enjoy the editor way more at Mishpacha than Ami's. Rechy just blandly spells out what I'm gonna be reading anyway. Mishpacha has a better editor IMHO.

...Esther Sender, yes this is her style every time and I love it. It just has so many layers of depth. You can touch the mood in her writings.

Last edited by InnerMe on Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room