Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can someone vaccinated carry measles to a newborn?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 11:10 am
I don’t live in one of the affected areas, we are all up to date on our vaccines. I am due any day now, and my chessed girl/babysitter is traveling to monsey for a couple days. She is 17 and fully vaccinated. Is there any way for her to bring measles to my home? She is the one on call if I have a baby in middle of the night, she is by my house multiple times a week. Can I assume it’s totally fine for her to come see/watch the newborn once she returns? Or should we wait a couple days?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
I don’t live in one of the affected areas, we are all up to date on our vaccines. I am due any day now, and my chessed girl/babysitter is traveling to monsey for a couple days. She is 17 and fully vaccinated. Is there any way for her to bring measles to my home? She is the one on call if I have a baby in middle of the night, she is by my house multiple times a week. Can I assume it’s totally fine for her to come see/watch the newborn once she returns? Or should we wait a couple days?

I have a feeling that you are safe.

When my DD had baby #3, while she was in the hospital, her older 2 came down with the flu. I wanted to send DD and baby to the kimpeturin heim and she wanted to come home so she asked her doctor and her doctor said that the baby would be safe.

For that matter, how do you know that the staff at the hospital wasn't exposed to an illness?

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 11:47 am
Of course she can carry measles! But the virus only stays live for 2 hours, so unless she's coming directly from an exposure to measles straight to your newborn, you don't have to worry. Unless of course she is one of those who contracts the measles regardless of her being immune - there is such a thing y'know.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 11:55 am
amother wrote:
Of course she can carry measles! But the virus only stays live for 2 hours, so unless she's coming directly from an exposure to measles straight to your newborn, you don't have to worry. Unless of course she is one of those who contracts the measles regardless of her being immune - there is such a thing y'know.

That’s exactly what I was asking, how long the virus stays live. Tysm!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics