Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
POLL- s/o farting. is the word vulgar?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

s/o farting-POLL- is it a vulgar word?
yes it is vulgar  
 66%  [ 131 ]
no it is not vulgar  
 33%  [ 67 ]
Total Votes : 198

MrsDash

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 5:30 pm
My cat farts all the time. I pass gas, my kid passes gas, that lady over there is passing gas, but my cat? He farts.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 5:47 pm
Squishy wrote:
There you go amother Jade. You differentiated it yourself perfectly. "(P)oop is a childish word and fart isn't."

Yes - but they are equal on the vulgar scale, and that’s what is being discussed here.

Any attempt to say one is vulgar and one isn’t is as meaningless as me saying they are on the same level.

‘Passed gas’ AFIC is a euphemism.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 5:50 pm
I mean, I wouldn't want my kids to say it, so I guess it is somewhat vulgar. But there is a big difference between fart and **** and s***.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:43 pm
Speaking as a nurse who routinely discusses all sorts of bodily functions:
Regarding poop and pee, those are pretty standard terms used to describe bodily functions for both children and adults. Fart is in a separate category. The term is perceived by many as crass. Many nurses with whom I work will use other words to describe the passage of flatulence instead.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:50 pm
about a baby I would say he or she is gassy

if someone said f@rt id be stunned and think they are crass
whether non jewish non frum whomever

if a child said it I would tell him or her that that is not a word we use and that we do not comment on peoples looks or bodily functions

all the more so refined language for daughters of the King

(and hey kids I grew up not yet frum and my parents friends and family would never use such a vulgar word - maybe young boys did or crude teen boys)

flowerpower

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:52 pm
We say “passed gas”. It’s a nicer term.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:02 pm
amother wrote:
Did you burp?

At some point, hopefully at a very young age we learn that our private parts do private things, and we just don’t talk about it. At least that’s my parenting take.

I find fart jokes crass for this reason.

My kids burp from their tushies Wink

Cheiny

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:05 pm
amother wrote:
I couldnt resist.

When in a situation where it's necessary to discuss flatulence, is it vulgar to use the word fart? (in other words...do you say that word? assuming youre not a vulgar person...)

Yup, I’d prefer the term “passing gas,”or “flatulence.” But I’d hope not to have occasion to have to have a discussion about this... embarrassed

Cheiny

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:
It's obviously very controversial . I equate the word fart with when someone says they are "pissed". Many people don't see a problem with that type of language. I do. I was actually shocked when my DS's 75 yr old Rosh yeshiva asked him " Yanky, why are you pissed off?" You expect classier language from frum people.

What?! I’d be shocked to hear that from a rosh Yeshiva, who’s supposed to be a role model!

Cheiny

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe it's because I grew up in a house with boys or maybe because I work with little ones but fart is a normal word. someone saying it doesn't make me think twice I was surprised when people here called it vulgar. Now if I hear someone calling someone else a fart face that would be when it's not ok.

What goes on in the privacy of one’s home is not the same as what may be acceptable on the outside.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:12 pm
amother wrote:
I taught my 2 year old the word fart. She needed a word to describe flatulence.

And my grandparents used the phrase altercucker.

How about “gas?”

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:16 pm
Cheiny wrote:
What?! I’d be shocked to hear that from a rosh Yeshiva, who’s supposed to be a role model!

I don't think when the Rosh Yeshiva uses the words "pissed off" he is aware that it means something more than angry. I also think similarly that the literal meaning of jerk off is not meant, but rather it is meant as goofing off.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:35 pm
I agree that certain phrases are not appropriate for dignified frum people to use, including "pissed off" and "screwed up." I've heard both from people who would never speak like that if they would know where the phrases originated from.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:37 pm
Cheiny wrote:
How about “gas?”

Probably because asking “did you make a poo, or a fart” is less combersome to me than “did you make a poo, or pass gas”. And yes, these are questions I pose to my very young child.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:40 pm
We call it a “tushie bubble” with our kids because its funny. Anon because its unique and a lot of people know that we say this.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:42 pm
I don't use the word fart, but my dh farts out loud (not in front of the kids) because he knows I think it is cute. Still, we wouldn't use the word.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 8:53 pm
I think fart is on the same level as tushie and butt. Not very mature, but not outright swearing, either.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:00 pm
I hate that word. My husband doesn’t get it. His family uses gross words all the time and I grew up talking in a more refined manner.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:10 pm

I voted yes the word is vulgar and think it's inappropriate to walk around passing gas in front of others, but apparently people think otherwise. haha. I was browsing home decor on Pinterest and found this!

little neshamala

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:17 pm
I cant stand the word vort because it sounds like fart. I cringe inside when I hear people say "are you coming to chanies vort tonight?
Ew.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette