Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
POLL- s/o farting. is the word vulgar?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

s/o farting-POLL- is it a vulgar word?
yes it is vulgar  
 66%  [ 131 ]
no it is not vulgar  
 33%  [ 67 ]
Total Votes : 198

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:59 pm
amother wrote:
We call it a “tushie bubble” with our kids because its funny. Anon because its unique and a lot of people know that we say this.

We use "tushie burp" for the little kids and "pass gas" for the bigger ones.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 11:31 pm
According to DH if you walk into BMG you will hear the word “fart” all the time...but not in the vulgar context. It’s some kind of yeshivishe yiiddish word with an entirely different meaning that can be used when trying to make a certain point in learning.. go figure.. What

Btw I hate the word, in any context Puke

tigerwife

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:01 am
amother wrote:
According to DH if you walk into BMG you will hear the word “fart” all the time...but not in the vulgar context. It’s some kind of yeshivishe yiiddish word with an entirely different meaning that can be used when trying to make a certain point in learning.. go figure.. What

Btw I hate the word, in any context Puke

Um.. does he mean a “vort”?
Yes, “fart” is vulgar, IMVHO. It won’t need to be replaced with asterisks anytime soon but I would never use it in a professional or formal setting. There are plenty of euphemisms to use instead.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:19 am
Quote:

My theory is that "normal" people (I'm talking in the world at large, not specifically the frum community) have gotten so loose with words and phrases that really are vulgar that they use them so casually that people unfamiliar with them (such as sheltered frum types) think they are normal speech. Then they go ahead and use them in formal or dignified settings where someone familiar with the phrase would deem it inappropriate, but they think it's a normal word because they keep hearing people use it casually.

I knew there was a perfect example that escaped me and here it is: screw or screwed. I can't count how many times I have heard refined frum young people use that word to mean "mess up" and I am positive that most if not all have no idea that, let's just say that they can do better. This is happening because EVERYBODY says it. Now that everybody says it, it's still IMO unrefined, but not taboo anymore. So now if you really want to be vulgar, screwing doesn't work anymore, so now they need to say f***. Well guess what? That's still definitely rude but it's about as common as "screw" was, I want to say a decade ago but my concept of time in that sense is lousy. People who consider themselves to be dignified in general will use that word when they get upset enough. Now this is an issue, but I wasn't supposed to be going there - what I'm trying to say is that you all should really inoculate the innocent people among you that they should not use the word "screw" if they are not discussing hardware or carpentry. Also, that they should say "pass gas" and never "fart" because even if you think it's all fine, the other 66% of imamothers are going to be JUDGING you. Shame on you

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:14 am
OK... hold everything... I thought I was QUOTING my own post but it seems I managed to OVERWRITE it and now my long rant is GONE. WAH!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:59 am
Squishy wrote:

Poop is not a word to use in adult conversation. There is hardly ever a reason to discuss bodily functions between adults.

Lol. Me and DH chat about our BMs all the time.

Anon because I'm not I'm the mood of being ripped upon.

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:02 am
It's not a term I would use unless I was trying to be deliberately crass. As another posted upthread, I wouldn't announce my intentions to pee or poop either.

My Yiddish speaking Bubbe used the term fertsy (not sure of spelling) which I always found interesting because it is close to fart in terms of sound by with more of a FAIR rather than FAR pronunciation. I am reasonably certain she never heard the word fart and this is some form of idiomatic Yiddish from Poland. But even this word was not used in polite company and as I recall was more of a word used with the children like tush. At least it seemed like one of those childhood terms but it could also be that I never discussed bodily functions with her after she stopped taking care of me as a child :-).

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:10 am
One of my kids told me, "Ima, my tushie made a beep!"
I beeped sounds clean.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:59 am
I said above that I dislike the word and find it vulgar. But to be fair, it is extremely old, appearing in the oldest piece of written music known to the English language.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMCA9nYnLWo

http://www.luminarium.org/medl.....u.php

(different spelling but sounds and means the same)

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 5:00 am
Amarante wrote:
It's not a term I would use unless I was trying to be deliberately crass. As another posted upthread, I wouldn't announce my intentions to pee or poop either.

My Yiddish speaking Bubbe used the term fertsy (not sure of spelling) which I always found interesting because it is close to fart in terms of sound by with more of a FAIR rather than FAR pronunciation. I am reasonably certain she never heard the word fart and this is some form of idiomatic Yiddish from Poland. But even this word was not used in polite company and as I recall was more of a word used with the children like tush. At least it seemed like one of those childhood terms but it could also be that I never discussed bodily functions with her after she stopped taking care of me as a child :-).

Oh my goodness thank you. I have not heard the word "fertsy" in so so many years. You just made me think back to my childhood and my grandfather. 😀.

My kids use fart all the time and I am always correcting them.
I was horrified when my son came back from E"Y ans he said to me he has to "take a dump". I yelled at him so loud. Apparently that is how they spoke in yeshivish.
When he got engaged I had to sit him down and teach him how to talk non yeshiva talk snd how to talk to a girl not a guy.

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:19 am
amother wrote:
Oh my goodness thank you. I have not heard the word "fertsy" in so so many years. You just made me think back to my childhood and my grandfather. 😀.

So it actually is a word. Sometimes with words that I never hear anymore I wonder whether they were actually Yiddish words or words that my Bubbe and Zeide made up and were just used in the family.

Now if I could only find the recipe for the blueberry shtunekes she made :-) as I've never seen a recipe that resembles it at all.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:47 am
Amarante wrote:

My parents called it a fetcey.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:48 am
I told DD, that the definition of "maturity", is to have the wisdom to know when you can get away with being immature. Wink

She can be an absolute princess outside of the house, so eidel and sweet. But at home? LOL!

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel.
So eat your beans with every meal.

To fart, to fart, it's no disgrace.
It gives the body ease.
It keeps the covers warm at night.
And suffocates the fleas.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:28 am
My dh always says - I just added to my carbon footprint.

Metukah

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:51 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I told DD, that the definition of "maturity", is to have the wisdom to know when you can get away with being immature. Wink

She can be an absolute princess outside of the house, so eidel and sweet. But at home? LOL!

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel.
So eat your beans with every meal.

To fart, to fart, it's no disgrace.
It gives the body ease.
It keeps the covers warm at night.
And suffocates the fleas.

Lol

Our version is

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart,
The more you eat the more you fart,
The more you fart the better you feel,
So eat beans at every meal.

Metukah

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:51 am
We call them 'bubbles' at home.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 11:26 am
tigerwife wrote:
Um.. does he mean a “vort”?
Yes, “fart” is vulgar, IMVHO. It won’t need to be replaced with asterisks anytime soon but I would never use it in a professional or formal setting. There are plenty of euphemisms to use instead.

Nope, fart is a word that yeshivish men might use when they argue in learning. My teenage son told me his rebbe used it while explaining the gemara to the class. Many of the boys burst out laughing. I guess they weren't mature enough. My son explained it to me but I'm not sure I get it. I think it can replace the word "specific" or "explicitly". So the rebbe might say, The gemara fart says so, meaning it's written explicitly in the gemara.

Disclaimer: My immaturity is getting the best of me and I'm laughing as I write this!

suremom

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
Nope, fart is a word that yeshivish men might use when they argue in learning. My teenage son told me his rebbe used it while explaining the gemara to the class. Many of the boys burst out laughing. I guess they weren't mature enough. My son explained it to me but I'm not sure I get it. I think it can replace the word "specific" or "explicitly". So the rebbe might say, The gemara fart says so, meaning it's written explicitly in the gemara.

Disclaimer: My immaturity is getting the best of me and I'm laughing as I write this!

The word is פארט. Hungarian chassidish way of pronouncing is is 'furt' with short 'u' sound. But probably with yeshivish havara it will resemble fart more. The definition of it is even though.
"פארט may sound like fart. פארט, we still say it"

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 3:05 pm
suremom wrote:
The word is פארט. Hungarian chassidish way of pronouncing is is 'furt' with short 'u' sound. But probably with yeshivish havara it will resemble fart more. The definition of it is even though.
"פארט may sound like fart. פארט, we still say it"

I googled translated it and got party. What is the translation?

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:
I googled translated it and got party. What is the translation?

According to DH its hard to translate but means something like “despite that fact, it is still kosher etc”, a sentence would be something like, “even though it was purchased in a non Jewish store, it’s “fart” kosher..” (admittedly does sound silly, laughing as I type Smile )
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette