Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
POLL- s/o farting. is the word vulgar?
Previous  1  2  3  4

s/o farting-POLL- is it a vulgar word?
yes it is vulgar  
 66%  [ 131 ]
no it is not vulgar  
 33%  [ 67 ]
Total Votes : 198

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 3:47 pm
amother wrote:
Nope, fart is a word that yeshivish men might use when they argue in learning. My teenage son told me his rebbe used it while explaining the gemara to the class. Many of the boys burst out laughing. I guess they weren't mature enough. My son explained it to me but I'm not sure I get it. I think it can replace the word "specific" or "explicitly". So the rebbe might say, The gemara fart says so, meaning it's written explicitly in the gemara.

Disclaimer: My immaturity is getting the best of me and I'm laughing as I write this!

It's not pronounced fart.
It's between fahrt and fort .The vowel sound is somewhere between the o in retort and fourth and fought and bought (but not the way people from NY pronounce those last two, think more British or Canadian).

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:31 pm
The other thing like this which used to make me crack up was the first word in the shin line of Anim Zmirot sung with the Sephardi pronunciation.

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:
My parents called it a fetcey.

As I pronounce your spelling my head, that is actually closer to how my Bubbe and Zeide said the word. It's very hard to spell Yiddish in English especially when you are trying to remember pronunciations from so many years ago.

I wonder what the derivation of the word is.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:57 pm
my grandparents thought it was vulgar in yiddish too

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:16 pm
Wow, I can't believe so many people think it's vulgar!
I grew up with many sisters and one very eidel brother so we never said the word in our family. Very yeshivish family.
I married my husband, who only has brothers, and they all (his brothers and nephews and himself) talk about farts. And bathroom jokes. And about how eating this meal will make them need the bathroom. Etc. I got so used to it, that we basically taught my son the word, and if it smells like he might need a diaper change, I'll ask him, "did you poop, or did you fart?"

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:46 am
I'm not getting into whether "fart" is vulgar or not vulgar, BUT everyone needs to know that it is lightyears less disgusting than the word "poot". UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I get a visceral disgust reaction whenever I hear people say "poot". UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I feel gross even writing it.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 8:36 pm
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette