Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Switched to simple phone, need chizuk
1  2  Next

bzmom.

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:33 pm
Hi
I've recently gone through a hard time and decided to make a big change in my life. I had a Samsung S8 and switched to a kosher simple, no internet phone.
I'm looking for any ladies who have done this and can give me some chizuk that it'll get easier..
Mostly I'm gonna miss instant searches , maps, auto pics uploads & WhatsApp...email, banking on the move.
Pls if you don't understand, do not comment that you think I'm nuts.

Last edited by bzmom. on Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

tigerwife

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:40 pm
I think you’ll find that you have a lot more free time than before. You’ll realize that many google searches actually can wait until you get home. You will have less to distract yourself with when you are with your kids.

I say this as a smartphone user, and the above is really what irks me about my phone usage. I use my phone a lot for business, but I use it for plenty of non business things too and waste a lot of time on my phone.

Good luck!

sequoia

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:01 pm
As a single woman, I wouldn’t have a phone that doesn’t allow me to call a Lyft or use Googlemaps. But aside from these safety concerns, smartphones really can be time wasters and quite addictive. So I definitely don’t think you’re nuts!

Cmon be nice

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:06 pm
sequoia wrote:
As a single woman, I wouldn’t have a phone that doesn’t allow me to call a Lyft or use Googlemaps. But aside from these safety concerns, smartphones really can be time wasters and quite addictive. So I definitely don’t think you’re nuts!

Theres a company calles fruber that can order a lfyt or uber, if you need that

frieda967

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:08 pm
Congratulations on taking this step! I swapped my iPhone for an LG expression and iPad which I use for everything you mentioned. I am proud and satisfied with my decision overall. But since then, I need constant chizuk (your post counts!) because it is fighting an unnatural tide!

ectomorph

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:09 pm
Thats so impressive. Try to replace it with something else you enjoy like ahopping reading books subscribe to a new magazine

ccwife

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:13 pm
I don't really have chizuk for you but I just want to tell you how impressed I am. I'm so so jealous. I know I need to get rid of mine but I have no idea how to actually go through with it.

Kol Hakavod. Seriously.

sky

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:48 pm
I’m impressed. I was just discussing this with a friend and saying how much more time we’d have (and money saved both on phone bill and impulse purchases)
If I replaced with flip phone, camera and gps I’d be fine.
I think my family would be better off if I gave it up.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:00 am
Wow, OP. I'm in awe of you. I often wish I wasn't so "stuck" on my phone. I really don't think there's any going back for me, but would love to hear more and more success stories so maybe I could join you one day...

Meanwhile I have gone down to zero games on my phone ever, no facebook app (though I can still get it on the browser, but the app makes it so much more present) and no internet after 11 p.m. (which is up to me to self-police but so far I only slipped up a couple of times.) It's been gradual and recent so I'm thinking what steps to take next to make it even better. I really like the camera and waze...but not enough to sell my soul for them. Sorry if anyone finds that melodramatic.

overworked

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:26 am
I did that a few yrs ago don’t regret it hatzlocha

Sleepymama

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:43 am
Good for you!!!
I really hope you keep it up! I wish I could do the same!
I thought I had found a good balance last year by just taking the Google app off my phone. I still had waze and uber and my exercise app, my recipe app and Torah anytime and the aish.com app. I ended up listening to tons of shiurim. We don't internet in the house, so when I really needed to look something up I used my husband's phone but I had to be quick about it because he's mostly out of the house. It was a great system until it just got too hard - I kept needing his phone, and it got too annoying. Ideally, I'd like to have a lock on the Google app or some kind of timer - that I can use it for only an hour a day. That way if something needs to be looked up I can do it - but the clock is ticking so you are prevented from falling down the rabbit hole into endless clicking. If anyone knows if such a thing exists I would LOVE to hear about it!
Good luck to the OP!!

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:57 am
I think it's amazing what you've done. We did it a few years back, and it was a chizuk for all of our neighbors and friends. And my husband, who used to be glued to his phone, now has reason to look into our eyes when he talks. Smile You are doing the smartest thing possible. And no one said nisyonos are easy... but the schar is great. And you never know who will see you and follow suit. You might be credited with helping save a neshama or more.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 4:11 am
I have an old fashioned flip phone, and I have no regrets.

I am never bored. When I am on the bus, or waiting in line for something, etc. I just look around me. There is so much to see in this amazing world, and I hate that so many people are missing it!

Look at the trees and flowers, the person walking a dog, adorable babies in carriages, the clouds in the sky. You'll have a whole new appreciation for all of Hashem's creations. Don't take it for granted!

Most of all, look at all the people who are glued to their phones. They're everywhere, completely tuned out. They ignore their kids at the park, neighbors at the bus stop, and they don't watch where they are walking and bump into you. It's especially sad in restaurants, when whole families have their phones out and nobody is talking.

It will take you a bit of time to adjust to the slower pace of the real world, but you'll find your stress levels go down, and your happiness in reality go up. It's a medically proven fact.

mominwb

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 5:46 am
Since I have a fight within to give up mine, what did u ppl switch to? You have computers at home? Tablets, ipads?

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 5:53 am
I actually desperately want to switch to a simple phone, or no phone at all, but I live in Israel while all my family is in the states, and we use WhatsApp to stay close.

But I wish I could.

SecretNinjaMom

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:17 am
OP-That’s amazing! I’ve been thinking about this for a while now... It’s hard bc I keep in touch with family through chats and WhatsApp. I love Waze too much!! It’s my best friend when driving. It’s still in the back of my mind though. One day...

happymom123

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:41 am
For those looking for a timer on apps, iPhone just updated to iOS 12 and it has an absolutely amazing screen time feature with content blocks, timers, night locks etc

Goldie613

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:00 am
Cmon be nice wrote:
Theres a company calles fruber that can order a lfyt or uber, if you need that

That's great - I never heard of that! Have you used them before? Do you have any idea how much extra they charge for the service?

My phone's too old to handle uber/lyft, so I either call a local car service or ask a family member with uber/lyft on their phone to book it for me and then pay them back when I next see them.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:09 am
My friend did that last year. She misses Google but Other than that she got used to it. Go you!!!

Goldie613

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:09 am
Sleepymama wrote:
Ideally, I'd like to have a lock on the Google app or some kind of timer - that I can use it for only an hour a day. That way if something needs to be looked up I can do it - but the clock is ticking so you are prevented from falling down the rabbit hole into endless clicking. If anyone knows if such a thing exists I would LOVE to hear about it!
Good luck to the OP!!

I know this stuff exists for regular computers - chrome has something like this as an extension, and a google search pops up bunches of others, though I wouldn't know which ones to warn against or recommend.

Mobicip is one I use to block sites for my family, but they do have a feature that lets you set time limits, so maybe try them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics