Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where is "affordable tuition"?
1  2  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:37 pm
We are looking to move to an established, warm community with a mix of MO & Yeshivish. Ideally we want to send our two young children to a right-wing MO school but tuition seems super high in places we are looking. Please reel me which communities have affordable tuition at good schools where students are college bound?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:44 pm
does it need to have a boys highschool?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:51 pm
I have both a little boy and girl. Yes I need a place (in the US) with schooling for both thru highschool. Sending my kids away for highschool is not an option for us. I know tuition is low in NYC and Lakewood but these are not options for us.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:54 pm
South Bend? I'm not sure what the high school situation for boys is at this point.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 11:10 pm
Northeast philadelphia

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 11:27 pm
Can you be a bit more specific as to where in NorthEast Philidelphia so I can look it up? Thx!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:11 am
Israel

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:49 am
I heard Jewish education is free in Cincinnati. The government actually sponsors it because the public schools are so bad, or something like that.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:54 am
Richmond, VA has free tuition after 2 kids. Community is biiiiiiiiiiiig mix. Housing/ cost of living is affordable, too.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:31 am
tuition is only free in cincinnati if you are low income and then the school can't charge over what the state gives for those children. They are hoping to change that though. We definitely do pay tuition since we aren't low income. You still have to pay a building fund... depending where you send to. There is no boys high school so that is why I asked.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:36 am
When you throw around relative terms like affordable with no frame of reference, your question is useless. Affordable for whom? A kollel yungerman married to a sahm or a physician married to a corporate lawyer? How about saying “ we want to spend no more than $X,000 per child”? , then your question would be meaningful and you’ll get meaningful answers.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:03 pm
In Los Angeles we currently pay (full tuition) $16,000+ for kindergarten. Tuition increases every year. 8th grade is $22,000+. High school is $30-35k currently... Can't imagine what it will be when my little ones get there! We are looking for a place to relocate to reduce expenses. Top of our list is Kemp Mill, MD but tuition is similar cost Sad. We want a right wing MO school but it seems that tuition is super high every location I research. I'm looking for leads of places with less expensive tuition.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:07 pm
Did you look at Baltimore? It might be worth looking at Ohr Chadash. But it only goes through middle school, I think kids go to Silver Spring for school maybe....

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
tuition is only free in cincinnati if you are low income and then the school can't charge over what the state gives for those children. They are hoping to change that though. We definitely do pay tuition since we aren't low income. You still have to pay a building fund... depending where you send to. There is no boys high school so that is why I asked.

If OP's boy is little as she says, there likely will be by the time they are ready for high school. The community is probably ready in a few short years to have one.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:10 pm
It's definitely affordable though compared to some other places. Tuition is around the same as Baltimore's (or lower) from the figures I've seen quoted for Baltimore, and then the state voucher of $4,650 currently per child reduces it by a lot, and that's without asking for a tuition break.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:19 pm
You can contact my rabbi, Rabbi Yeamans, helps people with information about Northeast Philly community and can direct you which schools may be a fit for you. His email is rabbi@biozshul.org.

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:23 pm
If you want to look in the Midwest, tuition for the type of school you describe is 16k for grades 1-8 and highschool is around the same. In the skokie/Chicago area.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:33 am
amother wrote:
In Los Angeles we currently pay (full tuition) $16,000+ for kindergarten. Tuition increases every year. 8th grade is $22,000+. High school is $30-35k currently... Can't imagine what it will be when my little ones get there! We are looking for a place to relocate to reduce expenses. Top of our list is Kemp Mill, MD but tuition is similar cost Sad. We want a right wing MO school but it seems that tuition is super high every location I research. I'm looking for leads of places with less expensive tuition.

Also keep in mind salary/income vs tuition. Some places salaries are much less but tuition is only slightly less.
In general mo schools are more because of teachers and curriculum.
You have to really compare mo schools.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:21 am
I don't think there are cheap/inexpensive MO schools in the US.

It is because one of the distinguishing characteristics of MO is that they believe in full interaction with secular society albeit in a "frum" manner. Therefore most MO parents want as good a secular education for their children as a religious education so that their children can participate fully in secular society (again albeit in a frum manner) and compete effectively with children who received the best education in secular schools - either public or private.

A good education - particularly a good secular education is expensive. Teachers who are accredited with good experience require high salaries. Even if you eschew frills like gourmet cafeteria food, basics of excellent education like science labs; computer labs; A.P. courses; range of subject matters costs money.

With few exceptions, schools with inexpensive tuition pay teachers relatively poorly; have limited secular subject matter and the teachers teaching secular subjects are often not particularly good or lack accreditation - in other words they probably couldn't get teaching positions at a regular school.

I am sure there are exceptions but in general you get what you pay for and therefore MO school tuition is more or less the equivalent cost of a good secular private schools.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:04 am
What about Cleveland. If you move to cleveland heights or university heights then the school receives vouchers worth $4500 each year for each kid in K-12th gr. The $4500 vouchers are not income based. Full tuition is around $10,000 per kid after preschool. You are responsible for paying the remainder of tuition unless you are a low income family according the edChoice guidelines.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating