Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How often/many hours per week for cleaning help?
1  2  Next

Chaya123

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:21 pm
I work full time and generally have approx 8-10 hours per week of cleaning help. Is this too much? It's quite an expense and wondering if should cut down.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:31 pm
Your needs have nothing to do with our needs. Who can say what’s too much? Depends on many factors... how large is the home? How many kids? How well do you manage without help? And most importantly, what can you afford?

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:33 pm
This depends on the size of your house and its features. I take 30 hours a week, and I can't cut back - I tried, but the house doesn't look polished.

Chaya123

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:35 pm
The home is pretty large although not all of it is used and gets cleaned on a weekly basis. On a regular basis, I have downstairs cleaned each time- kitchen, dining room, living room, study, bathroom. Then, if more time, she does upstairs bathrooms, laundry etc. I'm tight financially so the more I can cut down the better although I really do need the help.

heidi

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:41 pm
I have 10 hours a week divided into 2 days.
Big house, but most of my kids are not living at home for most of the week
I work four days a week LOL
I could technically manage with less.
But I don't want to LOL

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:48 pm
Big is relative. You need to say sq ft. My house is 7850 sq ft not including garage. My old house was 4400 sq ft. That was considered big. I could have my old house cleaned in a morning. I need 7.5 times as much help in my current house.

It depends on the tiles and other features of the house.

esther11

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:19 pm
I have 2 hours, once a week. 1200sq ft apt.
I take care of organizing, toy clean up, laundry, dishes, etc. She does the deeper cleaning (mops, bathrooms, linens, sink, counters).

twogees

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:00 pm
I have 1x per week for 2-2.5 hrz in a ~950 sq ft apt. That's all I need/can afford at the moment.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:13 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
I work full time and generally have approx 8-10 hours per week of cleaning help. Is this too much? It's quite an expense and wondering if should cut down.

I have my cleaner for 6 hours divided Monday's & Thursday. Though I really wish I'd have some more! I have a 4 bedroom house.. young kids kh. Work full time. Hang on to it if you can.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:45 am
Depends what you need. My house almost (?) looks polished but I don't need this unless we are hosting a simcha and then we get more hours before.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 4:45 am
Ruchel wrote:
Depends what you need. My house almost (?) looks polished but I don't need this unless we are hosting a simcha and then we get more hours before.

Really depends on the finishes in the house if it needs to look polished. My old house had floor tile that never showed dirt. You see this type of tile used commercially in Italian restaurants and upscale gyms.

My current house has lots of shiny surfaces. I have a lot of shiny walls, countertops, backsplashes, cabinets, appliances, and solid floors. The kitchen takes a full hour to polish each time it is used or you see streaks. People feel the need to touch everything when they come in the house which adds to the problems.

You can't compare how many hours needed to clean a house until you know the size and needs of the house. I would say in general that the bigger the house the more special attention the finishes need. Also very important is how clutteredor organized the house is.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:02 am
It depends if you can handle it.
I would sooner cut back on other things then my cleaning help.
My married Dd on the other hand does it all herself with no problem.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:13 am
I find with young kids and if you are working (and you are not a super tidy person who loves cleaning) monday, tuesday and friday is essential for sanity. I used to have 2 hours every other day but now that has increased to about 4 hours. I could certainly do with more.

I have a 2500 sq foot house (approx). She tidies, cleans kitchen, (including loading and unloading dishwasher and washing up as needed) mops and vacuums, irons, puts away sheets and towels, changes linen as needed.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:19 am
Chaya123 wrote:

It sounds like this amount of time is what makes your house run. I also have a big house and I could understand needing 8-10 hours...
I also think of pesach ahead of time. How would you get ready for pesach if you cut back hours?
I am not working now but busy with various things going on in my life and I have between 6-7 hours a week. Many days it doesn’t look so clean and neat so I can imagine if you are working full time you would need more than I do.

If you really can’t afford it, cut back an hour and see what happens but you might not be able to get back that hour if you change your mind.

Metukah

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:30 am
It depends on many things, the size of your house, how important cleanliness is to you, what you actually consider clean, how much time you have to do housework and how much you enjoy doing housework.

I usually (see footnote) have 13-15 hours of cleaning help a week (washing included , but not ironing) and although that is enough for the daily running and upkeep of my house, both dh and I put in a number of hours a week into housework. We have a very small apartment (about 800 sq foot), but we are very pedantic.

On that note, please daven for my sanity. My cleaner left over 3 months ago. She was meant to return 6 weeks ago but didn't manage with childcare arrangements. I'm barely standing on my 2 feet. Full time work, running a (hopefully clean) house and pregnant.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:32 am
My cleaning help went on vacation. It's crazy here. My apt 1500 sq ft. 4 kids. Only one goes out during day. Husband likes everything perfect. I hate cleaning. She usually comes 15-20 hrs per week when she follows to it.....

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:36 am
I work full time. Approx 1200 sq ft home with large very family.
I have: Monday 3 hours. Thursday 2 hours. Friday 2 hours.
She folds all my laundry and changes linen. Also helps with Shabbos prep.
My home definitely doesn’t look polished. I just need her help to stay on top of life.
I could probably survive with only 2 hours Monday and 1 hour Thursday. But she wants more hours and it does make my life more sane.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:25 am
Metukah wrote:
It depends on many things, the size of your house, how important cleanliness is to you, what you actually consider clean, how much time you have to do housework and how much you enjoy doing housework.

I usually (see footnote) have 13-15 hours of cleaning help a week (washing included , but not ironing) and although that is enough for the daily running and upkeep of my house, both dh and I put in a number of hours a week into housework. We have a very small apartment (about 800 sq foot), but we are very pedantic.

On that note, please daven for my sanity. My cleaner left over 3 months ago. She was meant to return 6 weeks ago but didn't manage with childcare arrangements. I'm barely standing on my 2 feet. Full time work, running a (hopefully clean) house and pregnant.

Wow. I doubt I could be cooped up with a cleaning lady 15 hours a week in 800 sq ft. I am dovening for a bigger apartment for your sanity.

gold21

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:58 am
2.5-3 hrs/day 3 times a week

So 8-9 hours a week

Metukah

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
Wow. I doubt I could be cooped up with a cleaning lady 15 hours a week in 800 sq ft. I am dovening for a bigger apartment for your sanity.

That's very kind if you. My kids are already on it, but the more the merrier.

My cleaner comes in the morning, she starts the upstairs (thank goodness for 2 floors), then I go to work. I wouldn't enjoy her working under my feet. No thank you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry