Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
St Marys hospital in Passaic for kids?

Beingreal

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 4:48 pm
My 6 year old I"h will be getting his tonsils and adnoids out in 3 weeks and it will be in St Marys. Is it a good hospital? I am nervous.

Inspire

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 5:21 pm
Best to call Echo for a good referral.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:00 pm
It's possible there's a good doctor there but Passaic Hatzolah doesn't generally transport to that hospital and it's the closest so that should tell you something. I don't know anyone who has gone there voluntarily. Hackensack is the most popular hospital choice for kids but there are other good options like Valley, Holy Name and Englewood. Even St Joe's is preferable but the clientele there isn't the nicest as it's in Patterson.

Beingreal

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:23 pm
The dr will be there so I will hope it will be good...

studying_torah

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:41 pm
I once took ds there in an emergency and was told by the staff they no longer have a pediatrics ward.
They barely knew how to deal w him in the ER.
The place is a dump, looks like an old school.
They needed his bed at one point, so they put us in a general room w a bunch of chairs.
I would not recommend this hospital at all.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 7:30 pm
Beingreal wrote:
The dr will be there so I will hope it will be good...

Does the doctor have privileges anywhere else?

Given the choice, I do Hackensack. I have done St. Joseph's for the doctors and been ok. I've done Meadowlands for the doctor. But I've never done St. Mary's for anything, and I've been here awhile.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 7:52 pm
Don't like st Joe's either. Had a very negative experience there.
Definitely ask if the dr has privileges elsewhere.

esuss

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:20 pm
With surgery you have to trust hospital and staff as much as you trust the doctor. I would try to find another doctor in a different hospital. Previous posters suggested Hackensack I second that. My son had ear tubes there and was very happy. There is an excellent pediatric ENT surgeon there. I would try that way before trusting st Mary's.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:23 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Don't like st Joe's either. Had a very negative experience there.
Definitely ask if the dr has privileges elsewhere.

Definitely was not my preference, and I haven't done it since.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:25 pm
I would avoid St Mary’s. Other hospitals like Hackensack and valley are much better

Beingreal

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:05 pm
What if that is the only hospital he goes to? I am stuck.
.I am nervous.....My mother thinks I am crazy for thinking this now...

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:43 am
Please only go to a hospital that specializes in Peds. I learned the hard way. The nurse and hospital staff are geared for kids in a pediatric hospital. They understand the kids and deal with them way better than a regular hospital. Please do yourself and child a favor.

username3

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:17 am
I had pneumonia a few years ago and ended up in St Mary's. I would not recommend it. Although most nurses were nice, the place is very rundown. The shower in my room looked dirty so I didn't use it all 3 days I was there. There was no fridge in the room and I don't even think there was a shared fridge to put food in, but I don't remember for sure. I would definitely say to go to another hospital if that is possible. If not, make sure the dr is good and just be prepared that the place is not "5 Star" and is more rundown than any other hospital you probably have ever been in. For example: nothing like the maternity ward in most hospitals and I have been in 3 different ones.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:53 pm
Beingreal wrote:
What if that is the only hospital he goes to? I am stuck.
.I am nervous.....My mother thinks I am crazy for thinking this now...

Can you find a new doctor. Why do you need that specific one. If you have Facebook there’s a passaic group that’s a good resource.
And yes it is a bit crazy to only research a hospital after you schedule surgery. At least you’re doing it now you can cancel and reschedule with someone else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics