Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Social skills

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:37 pm
My ds is 7. Recess time he doesn't join a group of boys but rather finds one boy to play with. He has extreme peer pressure of what the boys will say or think of him of what he wears if he thinks it's not the typical and stuff like this. I wonder if it's related with social skills. With neighbors he can play nice but mostly acts silly to attract their attention. He hadent complained about any of this and I wonder if this needs to be evaluated or do I teach it myself?if yes how? Advice please.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:53 pm
Please help

Queen6

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:47 pm
Try speaking to a qualified therapis5 who can guide you how to help him... speak to his teachers see if they have advice. Try working with him based on their advice. If you don’t see any improvemen5 go for help.
When it comes to social it’s sometimes hard to transfer from the therapy room to the school yard.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:50 pm
He sounds like a great candidate for social skills groups. If you're in the NY area I can probably gather some names for you if you're interested.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 7:08 pm
Yes I'm in ny. It would be helpful if you provide me with that. Thanks
Is peer pressure related to this issue?

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:34 pm
In Brooklyn, I like Faigy Schachner - socialskills4success.com - She may also be able to refer you to others if she doesn't have an open group or if you need a different neighborhood.

If I'm reading OP correctly, it sounds like the issue you're calling "peer pressure" isn't exactly that peers are pressuring him, but more that he is feeling insecure about himself and worrying about what peers will say.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 5:06 am
If I'm reading OP correctly, it sounds like the issue you're calling "peer pressure" isn't exactly that peers are pressuring him, but more that he is feeling insecure about himself and worrying about what peers will say.[/quote

Yes this is exactly it.
Thanks so much for the contact info. Ill reach out to her.]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children