Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to never see humongous waterbugs again?

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:23 pm
They're as big as small mice. Two in one day.
Any easy solution for this problem?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:44 pm
Raid has gallon size bottle that comes with battery operated gun... u spray around all corners of the house. It works for up to 12 months

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:51 pm
I heard to sprinkle borax powder in corners and where there’s moisture like under sinks. Also in basement and perimeter of house
Be aware that raid and borax are toxic so you can’t put it anywhere that little kids can get to

mrs me

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:08 pm
Do you have little kids running around?
If not, go with the Borax.
If yes, my landlord hires an exterminator to spray around the house... it's only effective for like 3 months and then we have to spray again... and what you end up with is dead waterbugs instead of live ones. Still nauseous and gross but on a different level :-/
Also, I had an exterminator come check my apartment for cracks and crevices where they might be coming through... he stuffed those with a kind of steal wool, and sprinkled poisonous oatmeal in places my toddler cannot access.. He also put a bunch of glue traps out to catch them, and catch them they did!

After all this, still no such thing as NEVER seeing those bugs again... will follow this topic in case anyone else has any brilliant ideas... Good luck!!

Oh btw, best way to kill them on the spot when they are running around is to spray them with... fantastic!! works for me lol

Emotional

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 1:36 am
Does anyone know where these awful creatures come from? I had them in my old apartment, it was awful... and yet some houses never have them. It doesn't come from accidentally leaving food or dishes around, I know that because once we went away for two weeks leaving an absolutely spotless apartment, and when we came back they were EVERYWHERE. Since I live in my new place (6.5 years) Baruch Hashem I haven't seen even one.
What do they come from? It seems some houses have a nest of them somewhere, and others don't. How do you get rid of them at the source, so that you don't have to keep calling an exterminator every three months?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 4:21 am
The only way to get rid of them is to get rid of moisture. They hang around wet water tanks and the like. Awful just awful.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 4:52 am
Echiong those who mentioned moisture. Thats their thing. We lived in a mikvah for 5 years - mens/womens/keilim. 8 pools and boros, showers, bath tubs, toilets... you get the idea. TONS of water bugs. Like, a lot a lot, and everywhere all the time. It was really bad in our apartment on the top floor. We had an exterminator came on contract more than once a month to contain them but there is little that we could do to make them go away completely because that’s just a fact of mikvah life. I used to daven that women wouldnt see any and they pretty much never did. But omg it was bad in our apartment.

Want to know how we solved the problem?

We moved. Yup. Left the job and left NY.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:01 am
The only way is to move.
Take it from my experience.

They live in the damp old walls, they come out through cracks, radiators build into walls, loose pipes, etc.

They are atrocious please. Don’t. Remind. Me.

I feel for you.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:08 am
If you have kids and pets, try mixing diatomaceous earth with a brand new bottle of cinnamon powder. The smell and the earth will make them sick and drive them away, but if the kids get it, it's harmless.

I used it to control huntsman spiders, and it worked really well. (I'd rather have water bugs any day.)

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:11 am
Move out of New York City!

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:12 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you have kids and pets, try mixing diatomaceous earth with a brand new bottle of cinnamon powder. The smell and the earth will make them sick and drive them away, but if the kids get it, it's harmless.

I used it to control huntsman spiders, and it worked really well. (I'd rather have water bugs any day.)

Does this work for centipedes?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:24 am
amother wrote:
Does this work for centipedes?

Yes, and carpenter ants, too. Lay it all around your base boards, under sinks, behind appliances, and anywhere else that seems like a sneaky bug could get in. It won't get rid of them 100%, but it cuts it WAY down.

The cinnamon is a strong repellent, and the earth acts like ground up glass on them. You can even sprinkle it in your carpet and brush it down into the nap. Organic gardeners use it to keep bugs out of the veggies.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:14 am
How to never see waterbugs again?

Gouge out your eyes.

How to get rid of them? Different question entirely.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 1:21 am
Is there currently a waterbugs infestation in Brooklyn? Saw two more today. They're huge!
Could they be coming in through the porch door?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics