Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is walking pneumonia difficult to diagnose? DD 8 days fever
1  2  Next

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:32 am
6yo DD has had a fever for 8 days.

The whole family has had a cough either with mild cold symptoms or no other symptoms. No one else had a fever.

DD seems well in the mornings but gets weak in the afternoon and develops a fever and headache.

Initially, the doctor said that if she wasn't better by Saturday afternoon, she should start antibiotics Saturday evening which she did.

I took her back for another check Yesterday and the doctor can't find anything wrong. She listened to her chest, checked her ears and throat and ordered a urine test.

Today she was already running a low fever when she woke up which has got higher throughout the day so the situation seems to be getting worse rather than better.

To me, it seems like walking pneumonia but the doctor did listen to her chest and said it was clear. Could she have missed it?

What else could it be?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:41 am
Is she very tired? If so it could be mono.. they
Would need to draw blood to determine

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:45 am
Get a chest X-ray if you’re concerned of any type of pneumonia

Mommy1:)

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:45 am
could be viral - so antibiotics wouldn't work - or could be a bacterial infection that this antibiotic isn't working for. If you're concerned and your child's condition is worsening, you're best off going back.
Refuah shelaima!

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:46 am
It doesn't hurt to go back to the doctor to recheck if you are concerned. Does your child complain of pain in the stomache area? Or on the side?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:51 am
People are already coming down with the flu. It could be a mildish flu, which would have prolonged fever. Your description sounds like the flu my entire family had last year.

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:11 am
There really isn't a separate disease called "walking pneumonia". Pneumonia is an inflammation of the air sacs in the lungs - they become filled with fluid or pus and then you get the horrendous coughing as well as other symptoms.

With most pneumonia, a person is so sick that they are literally unable to get out of bed. With walking pneumonia, you have lung involvement but for whatever reason it is not so severe that you are not able to function more or less.

I contracted bacterial pneumonia many years ago and for the first few days I felt sick but was still able to function. Symptoms started on Monday and on Friday morning I was literally almost unable to get out of bed to go to the toilet. Luckily it was bacterial pneumonia so once I took the antibiotics, I started getting better in 24 hours. I was still very very ill - I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy - but I was getting marginally better each day. I had low energy for many weeks after I had gotten "better".

Pneumonia can be caused by a variety of things including chemical agents as well as viruses, bacteria and fungus.

You need to get a chest X-Ray to determine whether the lungs are filled with fluid. If it is flu, it can develop into pneumonia. That is one of the ways that people die from flu - they contract pneumonia and their lungs become filled with fluid putting too much strain on the heart and other systems.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:29 am
Go back to dr if nervous. Ask for bloodwork. (My daughter once had on and off fever for 2 weeks and blood work helped).

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:58 am
I don't think it's flu. She's been home for 7 days already and obviously would have contracted whatever it is before that. She shares her room with 2 other people and we have a small apartment. It would be almost impossible for the rest of us to avoid getting it.

A girl in her class already had pneumonia following this cough virus that's going around so I thought that the most likely diagnosis, but I was surprised when the antibiotics don't seem to have had any effect after 4 days.

Her symptoms do fit with those of mono except that she hasn't complained of stomach/ side pain. She woke up with a rash on her legs Yesterday morning but the spots had gone by the time I took her to the doctor in the afternoon. I had taken a picture though and the doctor said it could be a reaction to the antibiotic. I thought this unlikely as dd has had this antibiotic several times before with no reaction and the reaction she had to a different antibiotic was very different to this. Plus, I have continued to give her the antibiotic as per the doctor's instructions and she has had no further reaction.

It's 4pm here now, I can't speak to the doctor again before Tomorrow. Can it wait until then or should I take her to the Emergency doctor tonight? (Would probably be a long wait in a room of sick kids so would prefer to avoid if possible.) I think she needs at least the blood test and possibly the X-ray.

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:00 am
FWIW most pneumonia is not caused by bacteria and therefore antibiotics would have no effect on the course of the disease.

Sometimes antibiotics are administered if a person has viral pneumonia because there are secondary bacterial infections that present.

Ma3

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:14 am
You have to be a real good doctor to diagnose walking pneumonia, since the lungs may sound clear when listening, that's why it can be overlooked.

Chest x-ray is a good idea if you suspect pneumonia,but it can be so many other things. Blood work should give you clearer answers.

Another option is to go to a kinesiologist which might be able to tell you the problem through muscle testing.

Don't be afraid to push for what you feel is right, even if your Dr. is reluctant. Mothers know their kids best!!

Refuah shelaima!!

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:30 am
I'll push for the x-ray and blood tests but can it wait until Tomorrow or should I try and get her seen tonight?

Sweet as Pie

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:06 am
Get a xray. I had one, was clear. Symptoms got worse. I called doctor who yelled at me that I’m fine and should stop bothering him. So I waited another 2 days then went to another dr in their practice who sent me for a repeat xray. This time it showed bronco pneumonia in both lungs. Til this day I blame that callous dr for not believing me and causing me to push off getting help
Point is, u need an X-ray or 2 to rule out pneumonia.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:45 am
amother wrote:

Her symptoms do fit with those of mono except that she hasn't complained of stomach/ side pain..

When I had mono I didnt have stomach or side pain

perquacky

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 1:45 pm
When I had pneumonia, nothing showed up on an x-ray. Request a CT scan. That's what did it for me.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
When I had mono I didnt have stomach or side pain

No, stomache or side pain sometimes is felt with pneumonia .
With mono, there is usually swollen glands and sore throat, runny nose-cold symptoms, etc. That's what I had when I was diagnosed with mono.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:32 pm
Abdominal or side pain can also be felt with mono because it can cause swelling of the spleen.

DD perked up a bit after Nurofen so I decided not to take her to the emergency doctor tonight, I'll speak to her doctor tomorrow and ask for some tests.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:
Go back to dr if nervous. Ask for bloodwork. (My daughter once had on and off fever for 2 weeks and blood work helped).

What did the problem end up being?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:41 pm
A child should be getting better, not worse by day 8.... I feel like most doctors by now would’ve done chest X-ray and blood work.... maybe call the doctor on call and explain how worried you are. Your best bet might be going to emergency room and getting this tests done there. Better safe ! Refuah shelama!!!

oneofakind

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:35 pm
I'd stay out of emergency rooms except for dire emergencies. 1. You'll wait forever 2. You'll expose her to many sick people and expose sick people to her 3. it sounds like she's a complicated situation, who says the doctors on call can read the tests properly.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics