Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Clothing Budget for Baby

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:43 am
I’m would like to make a clothing budget for my 5 month old baby boy.
What does he need and how much does clothing cost?
I know there are different ranges and that’s ok. I would like to know how much people spend.
(There was a similar thread where people were bashing a poster who spends differently than them. Please don’t do this on this thread. I know there are different price ranges. I want to see what is workable for me)
I’m also not sure exactly WHAT he needs.

Thanks for your input

Eta-: NY, this winter season, not relying on hand me downs,if I get them their a bonus

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:01 am
So if you are asking what real people do, I can answer based on my children and grandchildren. At that age, much of what kids wear was worn before by an older cousin or friend's child. Much of the wardrobe is hand-me-down because of the very temporary nature of that size. At stores such as Walmart, each change of clothing is about $8 so if you are a Walmart shopper and want 10 changes, plus pajamas, socks, shoes and a jacket, you could easily pull it off for under $150. It also depends on how often you want to do laundry because if you do it more frequently, then you need fewer changes.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:05 am
depends on your country, geographical region, seasons.

Personally, I've been getting 2nd-hand clothing (friends and family send me what their kids have outgrown). Hardly spend money on clothes for the kids, and when I do I go to thrift stores/2nd-hand stores, and Walmart if I can't find what I need there. I spend money on boots and coats for my older one, but have been getting them 2nd-hand from friends for my younger one. Then I save everything that isn't wrecked... so I may have to buy shoes, replacement shabbos shirts for a boy and replacement shells for a girl. I sometimes end up buying socks/tights when they are lost/wrecked, but otherwise what's it.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:10 am
OP I actually just checked online to make sure I wasnt quoting wrong prices
5 months old is pretty simple

Onesie snap undershirts- carters (website has sale, this happens frequently ) has pack of 5 for $15. Walmart (im only looking at carters, hanes or gerbers )sells 8 for $15

Pants- carters site has about $6 per pair. Walmart has this as everydaya low price. Walmart has 3 pack leggings for 10$.

3 piece outfit (pants, shirt, and vest or zip up) is $9 in walmart

PJ type stretchie is $7-walmart

Socks $8 for 10 pack walmart

Adorable winter hats-$6-10 walmart

Coat-15$ walmart

Anything I looked at in walmart was a good company like carters, gerber or hanes.

I get about 5 PJ stretchies, 4 shirts and pants outfits, a pack of socks, a pack of onesie undershirts, coat and hat. It's enough for us and my messy baby goes thru clothing very quick

So without any hand me downs (I LOVE hand me downs!) I can stock up for 120$ without making myself nuts looking for deals. Obviously im sure you can find cheaper if you look, I just dont have the time and patience now.

Also-if you need a dressier outfit like for shabbos, childrens place is great, and they often have sales. Ive also found classy looking shabbos like sets in target (their cat and jack brand) for very cheap

sky

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:40 am
This is so hard to say.

Are you happy with carters or Walmart - then $10-20 a stretchie.
Do you like European style with matching hats and blankets then $30-100 a stretchie.

Are you asking now for the winter -
10 thick winter stretchies ($10-15 each) 1 nicer Shabbos stretchie ($20)
1 outdoor hat ($10-25)
1 snowsuit ($30-70)
1 bundle me (??)
1 sleep sack ($10 - 20)
1 sweater or lighter fleece bunting ($20)
10 onesies ($30)
Socks - if any outfits are feetless (stretchies with feet are warmest for winter)
Bibs if don’t have especially if starting to feed.

I’d assume at this point you have all the blankets you need.

sky

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:44 am
Double post

Last edited by sky on Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:44 am
For his age, I would not do any two piece clothing. I would buy 8-10 stretchies. They usually go through 2-4 in a 24 hour period. How much you want to spend per stretchie is up to you. You can buy for $8 a stretchie or for $150 a stretchie. Then he will also need a snowsuit, hat, and mittens. And about 10 onesie undershirts. If you want 1 or 2 better outfits then you can buy a tee shirt and leggings or 2.

Zehava

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:47 am
In addition to stretchies I also like bodysuit sets at this age. Makes for less clothing to put on and easier diaper changes. Also looks super cute. You can find cheap ones on carters, H&M
, gap and more.

serenity8843

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:50 am
I have a three month old boy Bh and when he outgrew his newborn clothes that my mother had picked out and paid for, my mother asked me to go to a nice baby store and buy him nice clothes on her credit card. I live in New York though not in Brooklyn and so the next time I was there, I went to Coney Island and found a store that had adorable baby clothes. I believe I purchased about ten outfits and paid $295. It is pricey; if my parents were not footing the bill, I would stick with Target and TJ Maxx.

Last edited by serenity8843 on Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:52 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
For his age, I would not do any two piece clothing. I would buy 8-10 stretchies. They usually go through 2-4 in a 24 hour period. How much you want to spend per stretchie is up to you. You can buy for $8 a stretchie or for $150 a stretchie. Then he will also need a snowsuit, hat, and mittens. And about 10 onesie undershirts. If you want 1 or 2 better outfits then you can buy a tee shirt and leggings or 2.

The good thing about 2 pieces, however, is that if the diaper leaks, you just need to change the pants and if the child gets his shirt dirty with food or spit up, you just have to change the shirt. If one piece gets ruined you still have the other piece to wear with something else. It also depends on if the child goes to day care and needs extra changes or what type of clothing the day care worker finds more efficient.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics