Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why I always post as amother
1  2  3  Next

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:18 pm
I know it annoys a lot of imamothers when people post benign innocuous comments as amother. I dont know why other people do it but I can tell you why I do it: I used to post all kinds of things very freely under my name, and one day someone made an astute comment and I liked the way this thinks so I checked to see her other posts. I read a few interesting posts about different struggles she had, and then as I continued reading there were enough little details that I realized I knew who it was. When I realised I know her I stopped reading, but I already felt the gross feeling that I know too much. I feel really bad about it and now if I see her name I skip over it in order to protect her privacy. Just a recipe and an opinion I shared at shul together with where I live and the age of a child could be enough to string together who I am. I can't take back the information I've already posted on my name so I'd rather just post everything anonymously to avoid this kind of situation.
That's my reasoning, sorry if it annoys anyone.
Did anyone else have this experience?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:22 pm
same. That's why I post mostly as amother.

rgr

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:27 pm
Ask Yael for a new username and be more careful to change certain facts in the future.

Emotional

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:30 pm
rgr wrote:
Ask Yael for a new username and be more careful to change certain facts in the future.

A new username won't help, as it will still string together old and new posts under the same name.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:33 pm
I do the same, for the same reason

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:33 pm
I have already figured out the identity of three people I know, including my sister who posted very intimate details of her bedroom life...
To those who say "how can you be so sure," I say, get real. If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck....

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:
I know it annoys a lot of imamothers when people post benign innocuous comments as amother. I dont know why other people do it but I can tell you why I do it: I used to post all kinds of things very freely under my name, and one day someone made an astute comment and I liked the way this thinks so I checked to see her other posts. I read a few interesting posts about different struggles she had, and then as I continued reading there were enough little details that I realized I knew who it was. When I realised I know her I stopped reading, but I already felt the gross feeling that I know too much. I feel really bad about it and now if I see her name I skip over it in order to protect her privacy. Just a recipe and an opinion I shared at shul together with where I live and the age of a child could be enough to string together who I am. I can't take back the information I've already posted on my name so I'd rather just post everything anonymously to avoid this kind of situation.
That's my reasoning, sorry if it annoys anyone.
Did anyone else have this experience?
I post amother for same reason. btw ur so special for skipping over her name to protect her privacy. U must be an amazing person.

penguin

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:39 pm
BTW you can go back to old posts & change them to amother.

simba

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:40 pm
Anything I post in my username I am ok with my sister and neighbor knowing. Yes, I'm a very open person irl as well.

rgr

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:41 pm
Emotional wrote:
A new username won't help, as it will still string together old and new posts under the same name.

A new username in case someone figured you out, and make sure not to post identifying details in the future.

In either case, intimate details should be posted as amother. Anything you wouldn't say directly to someone, don't say online.

rivkam

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:44 pm
simba wrote:
Anything I post in my username I am ok with my sister and neighbor knowing. Yes, I'm a very open person irl as well.

That's basically my rule if to use amother or not. If it's private info or extremely obviously me, then I'll go amother but living in Israel, its a lot less chance people on this site know me at all. I can understand how this is more of an issue for users in NY.

amother
White

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:46 pm
Emotional wrote:

You ask Yael to close your old account and open a BRAND NEW account for you under a new username THis way nobody knows it's you and if you're careful, they don't have to know.

Emotional

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:56 pm
amother wrote:
You ask Yael to close your old account and open a BRAND NEW account for you under a new username THis way nobody knows it's you and if you're careful, they don't have to know.

Interesting. I didn't know this was a possibility.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:03 pm
Here is another reason why I might go amother for seemingly non-personal stuff.
Years ago when I first joined imamother, I was dumb enough to tell someone my username. I know I can technically change it but it's a bother.
Now this person whom I told is the jealous type, and often analyzes my finances. So if I post "Which is better, Irene wigs or Shevy wigs" under my username, this person has to comment to me when we meet "So I hear you're in the market for a new sheitel..."

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:
I have already figured out the identity of three people I know, including my sister who posted very intimate details of her bedroom life...
To those who say "how can you be so sure," I say, get real. If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck....

Your sister could have posted those details as amother....just saying.

I'm pretty open here and IRL and I've been recognized...doesn't bother me.

(though I don't post such intimate details as my bedroom life on imamother.)

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:13 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Your sister could have posted those details as amother....just saying.

I'm pretty open here and IRL and I've been recognized...doesn't bother me.

(though I don't post such intimate details as my bedroom life on imamother.)

True, but she probably figured she's anonymous anyway...

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:16 pm
I am open IRL too and people figured me out here. I'm cool with that. But deeply personal stuff , like my bedroom have never been discussed and if yes, it was definitely as amother.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:26 pm
I maybe used amother once, when it was personal details, but usually I don't post anything that I don't want the world to know on a public forum. There are people who know me on here.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:28 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I am open IRL too and people figured me out here. I'm cool with that. But deeply personal stuff , like my bedroom have never been discussed and if yes, it was definitely as amother.

I almost never post in the intimacy threads. I maybe posted in one intimacy thread that was relatively tame but I don't often read those threads.

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:29 pm
Just fyi everyone, we can see how many times you’ve posted as amother by clicking on your profile. So it lists the total posts as well as those just under your user name.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics