Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Office pay amount - please help me
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:45 am
Working in an office 10-15 hrs per week. Working for about 2 years in this place. Before asking for a raise, I'd love to know what's considered normal/underpaid/overpaid. I feel I should be getting a lot more & I want to know what's normal for office positions in Boro Park. Thanks!!

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 3:24 am
$15/hr approx.

Hard to justify a raise request when you're working so few hours, unfortunately.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 1:19 pm
I think 15 is beginners pay. Any other working women can help out here?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 1:39 pm
Did you learn any new programs? Developed new skills on the job? Did you enhance the business in any way? Are you very devoted to the work ? Have you had any prior work experience before you took the job?

wow

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 3:37 pm
I think it would boil down to how much experience you have. How many years have you worked before starting there?

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 3:41 pm
Lakewood - 12 hours a week - get paid $25/hour. I don’t know anyone older than seminary that accepts only $15 here

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 3:50 pm
The question you need to ask yourself is - Can what I do be done by a inexperienced straight from seminary 'girl'. If not - then walk into your boss' office and be ready to tell him all the value that you bring into the office. Say "I'm not looking to leave - but if I did - you'd need to replace me with someone with several years of expereince to do all the work that I'm doing now.. and market rate for someone like that is closer to $20 per hour".

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 4:22 pm
amother wrote:
Lakewood - 12 hours a week - get paid $25/hour. I don’t know anyone older than seminary that accepts only $15 here

Wow I'd love to find such a job in Lakewood! What kind of office and how long are you there?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 4:51 pm
Try asking for a $1 raise, if your request is turned down, I would suggest looking around for another job and sending out your resume.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 5:22 pm
I got the job through word of mouth. Working there less than a year - this was what I started at this place with. From what I’m given to understand while at the higher end of average - most jobs these days offer 18-25.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 5:25 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Did you learn any new programs? Developed new skills on the job? Did you enhance the business in any way? Are you very devoted to the work ? Have you had any prior work experience before you took the job?

Yes had some prior experience before & I'm very devoted. I think I'm a real asset to the business & don't know if someone else would be so on top of the ball as I am. I think I deserve to get what I'm worth, just need to know the avg going rate.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
I got the job through word of mouth. Working there less than a year - this was what I started at this place with. From what I’m given to understand while at the higher end of average - most jobs these days offer 18-25.

The average going rate for a secretarial position in BP is more like 15-17 an hour.
Bookkeeping pays a bit more. Are you doing bookkeeping work?

Cheiny

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:
$15/hr approx.

Hard to justify a raise request when you're working so few hours, unfortunately.

That’s about minimum wage, so I’d say afte two yrs, you should be entitled to a raise of at least $2 an hour more...

Cheiny

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 5:32 pm
amother wrote:
Try asking for a $1 raise, if your request is turned down, I would suggest looking around for another job and sending out your resume.

That’s too little. I’d start asking for more, and if they say it’s too much, you can always negotiate down...

rachelmom1

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 6:05 pm
I just spoke with a business owner in Lakewood. She sees new hires (girls back from seminary) asking for $20-$23 an hour. No previous work experience. She felt they were asking too much. Don't see why you can't expect more though.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 6:09 pm
amother wrote:
Yes had some prior experience before & I'm very devoted. I think I'm a real asset to the business & don't know if someone else would be so on top of the ball as I am. I think I deserve to get what I'm worth, just need to know the avg going rate.

You can definitely request a raise. I'd say $18 per hour since you put in so few hours. In another year from now I'd request $20.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 6:21 pm
rachelmom1 wrote:
I just spoke with a business owner in Lakewood. She sees new hires (girls back from seminary) asking for $20-$23 an hour. No previous work experience. She felt they were asking too much. Don't see why you can't expect more though.

I would say $20 is a fair living wage, unfortunately the average market rate is lower than this due to laws of supply and demand.

Monsey 10952

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 6:27 pm
It depends how much money you bring in to the business If you aren't bringing in more than $20 an hour your boss will not pay you more...

simba

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 8:44 pm
What are your responsibilities?

sleepless

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 9:12 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
You can definitely request a raise. I'd say $18 per hour since you put in so few hours. In another year from now I'd request $20.

You can definitely ask for $18. $15 is on the low end
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics