Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Wwyd? Move or not?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:37 pm
Currently we live in a 2 bed apt for super cheap. I found another apt that's the same size (or so it seems, have yet to actually see it) for the same price. New apt is in a different area with more frum ppl but in a basement. Current one is in a building on the 3rd floor. I would love to move to the more populated area but husband doesn't want to move. Says not worth the move right now and if we do, just to buy. But can't do that at the moment. Also, new apt includes all utilities and currently we pay for gas and electric which is not alot since we are out for majority of the day.

hodeez

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:39 pm
What do you gain by moving? If you're not home most of the day I feel like the surroundings shouldn't be such a deciding factor. Unless you're currently living in an area that makes you uncomfortable.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:40 pm
amother wrote:
Currently we live in a 2 bed apt for super cheap. I found another apt that's the same size (or so it seems, have yet to actually see it) for the same price. New apt is in a different area with more frum ppl but in a basement. Current one is in a building on the 3rd floor. I would love to move to the more populated area but husband doesn't want to move. Says not worth the move right now and if we do, just to buy. But can't do that at the moment. Also, new apt includes all utilities and currently we pay for gas and electric which is not alot since we are out for majority of the day.

Maybe can convince your husband to just look at it with you and then can think about it.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:44 pm
I dont think it's worth moving to the same size apartment if you're renting, especially not to a basement. Unless you must move.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:48 pm
I wouldn't want to move to a basement.
Is your current area unsafe?

myself

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:10 pm
Bear in mind that moving can be quite costly. You'll need to move all your belongings plus possibly buy new furniture. Is it worth the hassle for something that's only marginally better than what you currently have?

esuss

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:23 pm
Basements can be musty, dusty and damp and cause children and sometimes adults to get sick. Some people have allergies to mold and dust that will be exacerbated by living in a basement while when living in a third floor you don't even know they have such an allergy.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 11:26 pm
moving is super expensive and basements are not great to live in for the most part. I wouldn't do it.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 11:59 pm
DD just had flooding in her basement apt. They got the carpets cleaned but the smell of dampness lingered (walls?) She booked a mover then looked at apts & moved in about a week.

So unless you know what you're getting into... I'd be very wary.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 1:07 am
I wouldn't move if dh isn't on board. Does new owner want security and first/last month rent?
Heat included means you do not control the heat. You might need to supplement with electric heaters, and that can be just as costly, if not more, than what you're currently paying for heat.
Do you have a pressing need to move out of your current place?

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 4:40 am
amother wrote:

No, no, no. I've lived in a basement apartment and in a third floor apartment. After my basement experience I knew I would never want to live in a basement again if I have a choice. It was depressing with the lack of sunlight. Third floor had normal windows and it makes for better quality of life. Basement has basement issues. Often the ceiling isn't very thick and you can hear everything from upstairs neighbors, as well as other things already mentioned.

Also the utilities included sounds sketchy. When I was single I also briefly lived with some roommates in a first floor apartment that had basement tenants who didn't have to pay utilities. Guess what? We were paying their utilities because first floor and basement were one meter. Of course when we found out we were angry. The landlord kept asking us to turn up the heat because the downstairs tenants were cold. Excuse us? The basement people ended up leaving their oven on half the day to get heat and finally moved out. We moved out shortly after.

I would definitely not leave a pleasant home environment to go live in a basement; especially not one where "utilities are included" which basically means that one way or another you're enmeshed with other inhabitants.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating