Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
If your baby sleeps through the night, whats your secret
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 12:12 am
My heart hurts for all the babies who are being ignored in their cries. I'm not saying I never let a kid cry, but it's different when they are a bit older, at least a year and they understand what you tell them.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 7:11 am
I have twins. One was born crying, the other quiet. Two very different personalities. The one born crying was colicky and cried all the time....especially at night. The one born quiet remained a quiet baby and went to sleep beautifully most of the time. As they grew, my cryer kept crying....day and night -- and even now as a teen. My non-cryer rarely cries -- even as a teen. Sometimes it is the personality I think. Just be sure you've done everything you can to calm the baby and put the baby to bed. When it all fails, do whatever you need to do (that's legal Smile ). I will admit my cryer is causing me great pain right now, but I'm hoping my endless love will win in the end. Good luck!

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 7:57 am
Bath, nurse, and then extra 2oz formula.

Also, get into a morning routine. Get blackout curtains, and fling them open every morning and say "GOOOOOD MOOOORNING!!!!". And also get into a night routine, sing shema, rub babys back, and say very clear "Night night!". When baby wakes up in middle of the night, repeat your nighttime routine. (Worked for me! Definitely worth a try)

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 2:30 pm
gentle sleep method

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 12:52 am
It is a common misconception that babies need to eat at night. Once they outgrow the newborn phase (2-3 months), they should be able to go an entire night without feeding. If they wake up offer them a bottle with water. Most babies will stop waking up as they will no longer be expecting a feeding. If you do let your baby cry it out, you should walk in every few minutes and pat them on the back just so that they know you are there...

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 1:58 am
My first secret is giving birth to big babies. Big newborns sleep better.

I co-sleep (so middle of the night wakings don't bother me - roll over, let baby nurse back to sleep), and almost NEVER interact with babies (playing, etc.) at night. Just nursing lying down, a low-key diaper change if necessary. (Similar to the "dark hours" method.)

Some of my babies sleep best on their stomach (yes I know, but if they ALWAYS stomach sleep there isn't really a signifiant increased SIDS risk), others swaddled tightly.

If I have trouble when baby is closer to 1 or so and waking up too often, I use the No-Cry Sleep Solution to get things back on track (happened with 2 or 3 of my babies). One key point from her book: When a baby starts crying, wait 15-30 seconds to see if it is real cries or making noise in their sleep! Second key point: Gradually wean baby off of falling asleep nursing, by nursing only until ALMOST asleep, and letting baby fall asleep on his/her own.

For those who aren't aware, even if you are a proponent of CIO (crying it out) it is never appropriate for a baby under 4 months old.

smile

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 6:12 am
amother wrote:
my newborn is a good sleeper. I started getting pain from probably clogged ducts so I was told to wake her up even at night Sad

Interesting. I thought it would be better to let her sleep and for you to pump?

Not to insult you but honestly just curious that it was this advice given to you.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics