Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Trump blames Synagogue shooting on lack of security
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Mevater

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:37 pm

Trump says Synagogues need armed guards.

Ridiculous! Are Synagogues the only places where Jews congregate?

Im not sure what the real solution of protecting Jews against Nazi terror is, but having armed guards at every Synagogue isnt it.

octopus

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:38 pm
Did we listen to the same clip? Trump wasn't blaming.

octopus

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:39 pm
I listened to a different clip, this was very selective by the way. You should listen to him talk completely. He was very sympathetic.

Maya

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:39 pm
How about we don’t empower them and say they “are some very nice people”? That’s one solution.

Maya

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:40 pm
octopus wrote:
I listened to a different clip, this was very selective by the way. You should listen to him talk completely. He was very sympathetic.

Yes he was.
He also said it happened because there weren’t enough armed guards. He absolutely said that.

mushroom caps

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:43 pm
Mevater wrote:

Im not sure what the real solution of protecting Jews against Nazi terror is, but having armed guards at every Synagogue isnt it.

Um it may not be the only place where Jews gather but it sure is a highly likely place and it is also prominently known to others to be a Jewish place. You said you are not sure what the solution is but armed guards are not it- I don't understand that. Armed guards may not be the only solution but it sure is a good place to start. What do you suggest as a start?

octopus

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:44 pm
Maya wrote:
Yes he was.
He also said it happened because there weren’t enough armed guards. He absolutely said that.

He said we live in a crazy world and yes it could've been a different outcome if there was an armed guard. But to me, that wasn't blaming. Who would've thought that we would need armed guards outside our shuls? He also said that in this case we should bring the death penalty. But quoting without bringing the entire clip is purposely inflammatory.

WhatFor

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:55 pm
Four police officers were shot and injured in this terrorist attack, so then maybe we should all up our local shmira. Maybe each shul should have a small militia at each entrance so that American jews can exercise their freedom of religion while neo-nazis exercise their constitutional right to carry all manner of weapons without background checks. Compromise.

Ruchi

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:56 pm
אם ד' לא ישמר עיר שוא שקד שומר
Though, we still need to do hishtadlus and sadly in this day and age, armed security guards are needed everywhere, because we do not know when the next crazed שונא ישראל might try to carry out an atrocity, Hashem Yishmor.

Candy Cane

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:57 pm
He most definitely was not blaming the fact that due to lack of armed guards the attack occurred. He did say that IF there happened to be armed guards then the outcome we had may not have happened. Meaning that maybe it would still have been catastrophic, maybe not... but not the same outcome as it was.

simcha2

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:03 pm
Given that four police officers - who were presumably armed - were shot, saying an armed guard could have changed things at the initial discussion of the attack is insensitive. It can be heard as "if only the Jews had fought back" which has unfortunate undertones in the post Holocaust era.

That is not to say there shouldn't be a discussion about security in shuls, of course there should. Saying an armed guard would have changed things in the immediate aftermath sounds like a pandering to the gun lobby with tacit blame on the shulgoers.

shoshanim999

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:07 pm
Mevater wrote:

Your logic and rationale is absurd. Merely suggesting a practical solution (having armed security) is not blaming the victims.

Jeanette

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:11 pm
He also refused to cancel his hate rally, claiming falsely that the NYSE opened the day after 9-11 (it didnt). He also joked during the rally that he thought about canceling but only because his hair got mussed because reporters were asking him about the shooting in the rain.

Such slapstick humor is exactly what we need from the President of the United States hours after the biggest anti-Semitic massacre in US history. How great that he's not p.c.

Mevater

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:12 pm
mushroom caps wrote:
Um it may not be the only place where Jews gather but it sure is a highly likely place and it is also prominently known to others to be a Jewish place. You said you are not sure what the solution is but armed guards are not it- I don't understand that. Armed guards may not be the only solution but it sure is a good place to start. What do you suggest as a start?

More of these Nazi killers spout their hatred, very publicly, on social media, than dont. Most dont hide their hatred and desire to kill. If someone spouts hatred on social media, they should at least be denied the purchase of weapons.

Last edited by Mevater on Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheiny

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:12 pm
Mevater wrote:

Shavua tov to all. I would have hoped that in light of this tragedy that klal Yisrael were shocked to hear at the closing of Shabbat, there would be enough respect for those who lost their lives, and those injured and in need of Rachamei Shomayim, to refrain from the usual blame games and maligning of the president. I think everyone saying a chapter of t’hillim would be much more productive.

Cheiny

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:13 pm
Maya wrote:
Yes he was.

I’m not understanding what’s wrong with encouraging more precautions such as armed guards....at this point I think it’s become absolutely necessary.

Mevater

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:14 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Shavua tov to all. I would have hoped that in light of this tragedy that klal Yisrael were shocked to hear at the closing of Shabbat, there would be enough respect for those who lost their lives, and those injured and in need of Rachamei Shomayim, to refrain from the usual blame games and maligning of the president. I think everyone saying a chapter of t’hillim would be much more productive.

Ideally, Tehillim coupled with potential preventative measures for the future.

Cheiny

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:15 pm
octopus wrote:
He said we live in a crazy world and yes it could've been a different outcome if there was an armed guard. But to me, that wasn't blaming. Who would've thought that we would need armed guards outside our shuls? He also said that in this case we should bring the death penalty. But quoting without bringing the entire clip is purposely inflammatory.

I agree totally and I think if ever there was a time that inflaming tensions and provoking arguments should be avoided at all costs, this should be one of them.

Cheiny

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:16 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Four police officers were shot and injured in this terrorist attack, so then maybe we should all up our local shmira. Maybe each shul should have a small militia at each entrance so that American jews can exercise their freedom of religion while neo-nazis exercise their constitutional right to carry all manner of weapons without background checks. Compromise.

This is so frightening and I can’t help thinking about what Rabbi Meir Kahane a”h said so long ago...

Cheiny

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:17 pm
Candy Cane wrote:
He most definitely was not blaming the fact that due to lack of armed guards the attack occurred. He did say that IF there happened to be armed guards then the outcome we had may not have happened. Meaning that maybe it would still have been catastrophic, maybe not... but not the same outcome as it was.

I don’t know how anyone could argue with that logic.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics