Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Lighting candle L'Iluy Nishmas R' Menachem Mendel of Riminov
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
White

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 8:07 pm
Good point. So what do people do about Shabbos when lighting for the 40 days?

lilies

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 8:13 pm
Maybe a 'yurtzeit' candle?

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 8:33 pm
lilies wrote:
I'm not sure but that might cause you to need to light an extra candle every week forever.

Huh? No way! I light a candle l’iluy nishmas r’ Menachem Mendel before I bench licht .... after I do that I light my shabbos candles and say the brocha. Nothing to do with shabbos licht.. you light it before.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 8:34 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Good point. So what do people do about Shabbos when lighting for the 40 days?

You light a tea light before you bench licht!

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 8:54 pm
I started lighting a candle l'iluy nishmas R' Menachem Mendel M' Riminov. Hope bekruv to come back here and post that we were helped with a yisha.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 9:24 pm
I want to publicize that I lit a candle l’iluy nishmas R’ MM MiRiminov for 40 days and davened to Hashem and my tefilah was answered. Thank You, Hashem.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 10:10 pm
Wait, so I did it all wrong? I lit every night and then Friday I lit before candle lighting and then I lit Motzei Shabbos. Is that the wrong way?

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 10:15 pm
I’d also like to publicize just finished a week ago lighting and b”H have started to see the yeshua

Angel

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 10:22 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Wait, so I did it all wrong? I lit every night and then Friday I lit before candle lighting and then I lit Motzei Shabbos. Is that the wrong way?

This is how I also do. B'h saw my yeshua when I did.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 10:38 pm
Angel wrote:
This is how I also do. B'h saw my yeshua when I did.

Thank you!!

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:29 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

That’s perfect. That’s the way to do it.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:34 am
How is this different than davening directly to Hashem? Doesn't it make more sense to go directly to the source?

Hashem wants only good for us, and he wants to hear from us personally. He's our Father!

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:39 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
How is this different than davening directly to Hashem? Doesn't it make more sense to go directly to the source?

Hashem wants only good for us, and he wants to hear from us personally. He's our Father!

There's a reason people daven at kivrei tzaddikim. You daven directly to Hashem, and also beseech a tzaddik to intervene on your behalf. Lighting a candle is a zchus for the niftar, so it's commonly done when asking the tzaddik to help with a request.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:02 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

As someone who recently finished these 40 days, I’ll share my thoughts. This is not a segulah per se. This is a very practical exercise. For forty days, you set aside a moment or two to verbalize your tefilah and even give tzedaka some of those days. The action of setting aside time every day to daven for your need, every single day for forty consecutive days, is very powerful. As an added bonus, you do a token action (light a candle) to benefit the neshama of a tzaddik who cared about the troubles of every Jew, and ask him to also beseech Hashem on your behalf.

I personally got a big yeshua on day 22. I continued to light for the full 40 days. Thank You, Hashem.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:08 am
Thank you for the explanation. I'm a BT, and I grew up around Catholic people. The whole davening to the rabbis thing reminds me of l'havdil praying to a saint. I want to understand the difference better (of course the main difference is that Torah is emes, that goes without saying.)

I don't doubt that focusing your intentions is extremely effective. Positive affirmations can be powerful things. Is there anything in the written or oral Torah that mentioned davening to tzaddikim to intervene for us? I'd love to see sources, I think it would help me understand better.

Just to be clear, I am not mocking or doubting anyone. CVS! I became frum through a yeshivish background, and they tend to take a pretty dim view of this sort of thing. I tend to be more Breslov myself, so my curiosity is genuine.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:18 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Thank you for the explanation. I'm a BT, and I grew up around Catholic people. The whole davening to the rabbis thing reminds me of l'havdil praying to a saint. I want to understand the difference better (of course the main difference is that Torah is emes, that goes without saying.)

I don't doubt that focusing your intentions is extremely effective. Positive affirmations can be powerful things. Is there anything in the written or oral Torah that mentioned davening to tzaddikim to intervene for us? I'd love to see sources, I think it would help me understand better.

Just to be clear, I am not mocking or doubting anyone. CVS! I became frum through a yeshivish background, and they tend to take a pretty dim view of this sort of thing. I tend to be more Breslov myself, so my curiosity is genuine.

I’ve never “davened to a tzaddik,” so I’m probably not the best person to respond to this. 😉

This is about speaking to Hashem and also invoking the MERIT of a tzaddik in the course of dialogue with Hashem Himself. Pretty sure all Jews do this every single time we daven.

Some examples are“אלקי אברהם, אלקי יצחק, ואלקי יעקב,״... or saying בעבור דוד עבדו... etc... there are numerous examples of invoking the merit of tzaddikim... why do we bring up akeidas yitzchak on Rosh Hashanah? The merit of our fathers’ actions stands by us as protection/merit.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:48 am
Yes, the sources for being helped in the merit of a tzaddik are endless. You aren't davening to anyone but Hashem. You recognize that Hashem is the source of everything, and your salvation will only come from Him.

If you're in court, only the judge can determine the outcome of a case. But you're still allowed to hire a lawyer to plead your case. Even better if the lawyer is known to the judge and the judge respects him. Not the best example, but it's similar enough.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 11:28 am
No one is davening to a tzaddik! We can only daven to Hashem!! But we ask that in the zechus of the tzaddik we should have a yeshua.

amother
White

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 7:21 pm
I'd like to publicize that I lit a candle L'iluy Nishmas Rabbi Menachem Mendel M'Riminov for 40 days and BH saw a Yeshua.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:28 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Please can you explain exactly what to do eg when/ how to light what to say etc. When to daven. How to Dave m. What to raven for.

Eg can you just raven for your kids to be happy people who so cheesed kindness Torah and mitzcos?

Plus what is the source of this segulah and how do u know it's ok?

Plus how do you know that what you are davening for is best for you?

There was a sweet BT I worked with that kept on talking about this segula. (Also, lemons. She says they cure everything.) I refused to try.
The first time I got engaged, it was the 40th day of someone saying tehillim for me(without my knowledge). I never wanted to hear of segulos ever again.
Then I got married a second time-- and found out DH had been doing this Riminov segula! So you never do really know what's best for you...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics