Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Using online education games

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 3:26 am
We are Charedi and have computers at home but don’t let our kids use them unless to watch something under supervision, every now and again.
I’m starting to homeschool my son Maths and English in the afternoons and have come across some great online resources such as maths games to do on the computer/iPad etc. I don’t want them to get used to using a computer too much so that they will always want to be on it but I would like to use these resources. Would this be a slippery slope ?

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 11:23 am
As no one has answered so far I throw in my 2 cents: I’ve used an online maths programme for my child once for a while- I think it was between 3-6 months- and it made no difference whatsoever. I now think that the best method is to have a capable person (tutor for example) helping the child to understand the concept and then simply practice practice practice. I see the same in adults: in the end, everyone wants to go back to the simple methods. Computer programs are very generated and most people need an individual approach. Whatever they claim, these programs can’t do that to the extent a person in front of them can. That’s my experience. I wouldn’t use them as you have a lot to lose and very little to gain.

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 11:59 am
newbie wrote:
As no one has answered so far I throw in my 2 cents: I’ve used an online maths programme for my child once for a while- I think it was between 3-6 months- and it made no difference whatsoever. I now think that the best method is to have a capable person (tutor for example) helping the child to understand the concept and then simply practice practice practice. I see the same in adults: in the end, everyone wants to go back to the simple methods. Computer programs are very generated and most people need an individual approach. Whatever they claim, these programs can’t do that to the extent a person in front of them can. That’s my experience. I wouldn’t use them as you have a lot to lose and very little to gain.

I have to retract my own posting here- I am now using the maths factor and readingeggs for my children- both online programs - and they’re amazing! The kids like them and they measurably improved their levels. The program I tried before was maybe just the wrong one for them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics