Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Venice or rome or ?? for just a weekend

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:23 am
We would like to go to a nice European city (I've never really been). We only have a weekend I.e. Friday till Sunday night. Any suggestions? My husband needs minyan on shabbos and we would also need kosher food for shabbos and Sunday. He was thinking of Venice, but I'm not sure there is kosher food there and I'm pretty sure there is in Rome. Since is just over a shabbos and Sunday, we are looking for places that are beautiful just to walk around.

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:25 am
There are several excellent option for kosher food in both cities.

Personally, I think there is more to see in Rome, but Venice is very beautiful, and Venice has the advantage of an eruv.

essie14

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:36 am
Venice has a lot of kosher food and an eruv so you can do a lot over Shabbat. All the hotels are familiar with the Jewish Ghetto and with Chabad. It's very Shabbat-friendly.
There is no eruv in Rome, so that may make Shabbat a bit harder.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:38 am
we are going without the kids LOL so I don't know how necessary the eiruv is. Dh is not into touring or museums and such. He would rather just walk and see nice things. and maybe we could take a gondola Wink . I guess Venice would be better for that, right? Can anyone provide me names/numbers of who to call for the kosher food for shabbos and recommendations for hotels near the minyanim?

r1

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 12:10 pm
Venice has gam gam (the restaurant) should come up with google. And beautiful Shabbos meals. It’s also all very walkable and scenic for Shabbos.

Rome is less popular on Shabbos, plenty of kosher but u prob have to buy and eat in ur room and the attractions are slightly less walkable and more museum entrance fee type that u wouldn’t wanna be doing on Shabbos

doctorima

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 12:14 pm
Venice definitely has kosher food, and Shabbos there can be magical as you eat next to the canal. But when are you going? This time of year, it may be quite cold, though there are indoor seating options as well. Contact either Gamgam restaurant or the Chabad there regarding meal reservations, and they should also be able to give you the names and #s of hotels in or near the ghetto. Walking around Venice is very romantic and well worth experiencing!

ImaMum

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 12:29 pm
Another vote for Venice.

It is beautiful to walk around on shabbos, what time of the year are you thinking of going? Its going into Winter time now.

The eruv in Venice is necessary to carry your passport to gain entry to shul on shabbos. You should also email the gabba before ur visit to give your names so they know to expect you. Details can be found online.

Venice has 3 different meal options on Shabbos depending on how much you want to spend varying from chabad communal meal to in gam gam restaurant. It is run by Rabbi and Reb. Banin, you can find all the details available online.

Everywhere in Venice is walkable but to stay near the ghetto look around Cannaregio.

There is a milky restaurant in the jewish hotel I think its called Ghimal Garden.
Gam gam is a meaty restaurant.
There is also a mini milky gam gam that sells pizza.
There is also a milky cafe in the jewish museum.

Highly recommend Venice, you can find all the info on the jewish venice website.

Enjoy, and welcome to Europe whichever you choose!

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 2:06 pm
I was in Rome for shabbos and since we didn’t mind walking all over it was great.

Venice is nicer in the spring or summer.

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
we are going without the kids LOL so I don't know how necessary the eiruv is. Dh is not into touring or museums and such. He would rather just walk and see nice things. and maybe we could take a gondola Wink . I guess Venice would be better for that, right? Can anyone provide me names/numbers of who to call for the kosher food for shabbos and recommendations for hotels near the minyanim?

Yes, Venice is definitely the better place to take a gondola. Wink

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 3:00 pm
Venice is so overrated. If u go, only go for shabbos (which is super beautiful).There's literally nothing to do there otherwise.

tichellady

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 3:06 pm
I think either one would be really wonderful

doctorima

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
Venice is so overrated. If u go, only go for shabbos (which is super beautiful).There's literally nothing to do there otherwise.

Speak for yourself! There's a reason it has its (well-deserved) reputation. Taking a boat to the glass-blowing island, riding a gondola, taking a vaporreto down the Grand Canal, visiting the Doge's Palace and dungeon, touring the shuls, the Rialto Bridge, checking out the quaint shops, getting lost on romantic side streets and bridges - with good weather, I'd be happy to go back for a few days any time!

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 5:16 pm
You might want to check on the kashrus standards of some of the restaurants in Venice and Rome, if you are at all careful. We were told to stay away from some eg eating meat in Rome since they go by Italian Minhagim. Also, I was told one of the restaurants in Venice is not great hashgacha either. (not gamgam, one of the others).

We had no problem finding plenty of diary and pareve options in Rome though. There are quite a few restaurants there. And I was not in Venice for shabbos, but I have heard amazing things about the shabbos experience there.

doctorima

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 5:23 pm
Yes, we also stuck to only dairy in Rome (Baghetto Milky and Yotvata are both excellent!) and to Gamgam and Gamgam dairy in Venice due to kashrus concerns.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 5:59 pm
doctorima wrote:
Yes, we also stuck to only dairy in Rome (Baghetto Milky and Yotvata are both excellent!) and to Gamgam and Gamgam dairy in Venice due to kashrus concerns.

Same. They had beautiful Shabbos meals. We spent Sunday Monday in Rome but would not have been happy there for Shabbos... if u do go to Rome hotel 26 I think it’s called- is right in the heart of the kosher restaurants and next to the shul and museum (which u would want to visit on a weekday)

Metukah

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 6:40 pm
amother wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as calling it overrated, but, as beautiful as it is, neither myself nor anyone else I know felt there was enough to see/do there for more than 48 hours.

It is a beautiful place though.

essie14

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 12:28 am
amother wrote:

Completely disagree. I spent 3 1/2 days in Venice, which I felt was the right amount of time. There’s lots of things to do. And I would totally go back and visit again! There’s a certain magic in Venice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics