Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Mir Yeshiva in Jerusalem
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 8:47 pm
What is so special about boy's that go to the Mir Yeshiva (in Jerusalem)? I've always heard other mom's bragging when their daughter's a boy from the Mir. Is it also Breslov?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 8:50 pm
typo on the above post:

I've heard other mom's brag when their daughter's engaged or married to a boy from the Mir Yeshiva.

Motek

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 9:21 pm
amother wrote:
What is so special about boy's that go to the Mir Yeshiva (in Jerusalem)? I've always heard other mom's bragging when their daughter's a boy from the Mir. Is it also Breslov?

It's not a chasidic yeshiva. It's a transplant of the Mirrer yeshiva from Mir, Poland, a litvishe (although Mir was not in Lita) yeshiva. It's a huge and popular yeshiva and many bachurim from abroad go there to learn.

MahPitom

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 9:35 pm
Mir is the landing spot for every type of boy from any background, any torah level. The staff is not so strict with the boys, the boys live in apartments and have a lot of freedom. I think every single boy in Mir smokes, I don’t think they stand a chance after the first 4 hours!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 11:30 pm
not every boy in mir smokes. fyi.

suomynona

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 3:21 am
MahPitom wrote:
I think every single boy in Mir smokes, I don?t think they stand a chance after the first 4 hours!

Kindly check your facts before you post.

Mir is nothing to brag about. Practically the whole world goes there Smile

amother

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 4:34 am
It used to be that Mir was the place for serious litvish bachurim. Unfortunately, as the other posters have said, that's not the case anymore.

loveit

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 8:15 am
Mishpacha just had a big article about the Mir and its sorrounding neighborhood, I knew it was bg but I didn't realize there are 5,000 students there!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 8:32 am
yeah, people joke that the neighborhood Beis Yisroel is in Mir (instead of the other way around)!

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 9:41 am
Do get facts straight.

In reality there is the Mir you are talking about and yhe old Mir (don't know if they are really separate or just separate themselves). The latter is verrrry charedi and have no 1 year in Israel types.

The yeshiva known for its chutz bachurim is quite large. We get boys from their about every 3 weeks and have yet to get a smoker. That said, there is a type of Litvishe bachur who expresses his affiliation by smoking. Rabbonim are not that thrilled that this is one of the ways that identify rheir bachurim. Some chutz bachurim pick up this attitude as well.

This yeshiva resembles its Polish ancestor mostly in name.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 10:31 am
Imaonwheels wrote:
That said, there is a type of Litvishe bachur who expresses his affiliation by smoking.

It's not only Litvishe. I know a few Chassidim as well.
It's stam bochurim who are away from home and feel like they can try whatever. Most do quit before dating, but still the thought repulses me.
That being said, the majority of boys in the Mir do NOT smoke.
There are smokers in every Yeshiva -- even Lakewood -- and it's totally irrelevant to the yeshiva itself.

Garden

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 10:46 am
If anything, people brag if their son/son-in-law went to Brisk..that takes some more pull than Mir. The joke about brisk is that the front door there says" Pull to get in".

Last edited by Garden on Tue, Nov 27 2007, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total

bashinda

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 10:51 am
I just know DH's favorite joke of the meshulach who comes to the door who's collecting for mir yeshiva. (as in for himself).

amother

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 11:07 am
Get your facts straigth. Mir accepts everybody. There are great boys there and there are bad boys there. The place mothers or mil's brag about is Brisk. And also on Avraham Yehoshua. If someone saids they went to Brisk you have got to ask, which one, it makes the difference. I know that when I married my husband my in laws were so proud that he learned there and my parents really didn't care. In Brisk it is harder to get in and usually there are mostly the top boys there. Of course, at times there is one or two who slip through but mostly the boys there are real learners.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 11:08 am
Why is there a need to brag at all?

Garden

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 11:12 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Why is there a need to brag at all?

Yes

Clarissa

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
Get your facts straigth. Mir accepts everybody. There are great boys there and there are bad boys there. The place mothers or mil's brag about is Brisk. And also on Avraham Yehoshua. If someone saids they went to Brisk you have got to ask, which one, it makes the difference. I know that when I married my husband my in laws were so proud that he learned there and my parents really didn't care. In Brisk it is harder to get in and usually there are mostly the top boys there. Of course, at times there is one or two who slip through but mostly the boys there are real learners.

Funny how every culture has its stuff to brag about. You could be talking about Harvard vs. Yale vs. Penn. A guy is either a good student and a good person, or not.

grin

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 6:21 am
Clarissa wrote:
Funny how every culture has its stuff to brag about. You could be talking about Harvard vs. Yale vs. Penn. A guy is either a good student and a good person, or not.

How true.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 6:35 am
Interesting that yeshiva bochurim show their affiliation by violating an issur doraisa, when they wouldn't be caught dead in jeans. http://www.imamother.com/forum.....24110
Double standards...

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 9:06 am
My husband spent our engagement in Mir yeshiva in Israel. He says that there are many serious boys who sit in the beis medrash all day and learn. But since the staff is so lenient, and the boys live in their own apartments, they can basically do whatever they want. I don't even think anyone would know if they skip a few days of yeshiva.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics