Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Mir Yeshiva in Jerusalem
Previous  1  2

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 10:11 am
momtomor wrote:
My husband spent our engagement in Mir yeshiva in Israel. He says that there are many serious boys who sit in the beis medrash all day and learn. But since the staff is so lenient, and the boys live in their own apartments, they can basically do whatever they want. I don't even think anyone would know if they skip a few days of yeshiva.

That is not the case. I heard that to get into the Mir dorm, you need to attend shachris at the Mir the year before, and they do pay attention to that. So attendance is noticed one way or another, although it's harder in a bigger yeshiva, and they are likely not to do much about it.
Also note there are people "in the mir" who were not accepted by the Yeshiva, but can still learn there (or not in some of these cases), but since there are so many men there, it happens that not everyone does sit and learn full time. But that's not a characterization of every single person there. Or of the majority. Most are serious boys who do sit and learn, and some incredible people have emerged from its walls.

Motek

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 10:45 am
Ruchel wrote:
Interesting that yeshiva bochurim show their affiliation by violating an issur doraisa, when they wouldn't be caught dead in jeans. http://www.Imamother.com/forum.....24110
Double standards...

oh please, plenty of rabbis do not consider it an isur d'oraisa or an isur altogether

walk down the street in a chareidi neighborhood and see how many of the men are smoking

and how many of the roshei yeshiva smoke

and it's not because they are violating an isur d'oraisa as a double standard, it's because they don't hold it's asur

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 10:50 am
I think they think of it as a gezera the tzibbur cannot abide yet. I see the rabbonim tightening up. They have already come out against smoking on YT. If the older RY started smoking when the dangers are less known. In our yeshivas smokers are nearly nonexistant except for BTs or fringe. But I chalk that up to the Rebbe talking against it years ago and having quit himself.
I said identify because when my friend, who is a nurse complained about real young boys smoking on Purim she was told, "Lady, you have your rabbonim, we have ours."

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 10:53 am
bashinda wrote:
I just know DH's favorite joke of the meshulach who comes to the door who's collecting for mir yeshiva. (as in for himself).
LOL!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 11:17 am
Motek wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Interesting that yeshiva bochurim show their affiliation by violating an issur doraisa, when they wouldn't be caught dead in jeans. http://www.Imamother.com/forum.....24110
Double standards...

oh please, plenty of rabbis do not consider it an isur d'oraisa or an isur altogether

walk down the street in a chareidi neighborhood and see how many of the men are smoking

and how many of the roshei yeshiva smoke

and it's not because they are violating an isur d'oraisa as a double standard, it's because they don't hold it's asur

good for them if they think it's ok to slowly kill yourself, and push others to do the same. I don't think you'll find a rav allowing extreme sports like the guys who jump from plane just for pleasure, or out of tracks skying... I thought all rabbanim were "machmir" on saving lives.

loveit

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 2:20 pm
Yes, I know this is OT but it always really bothers me when I see frum men (cause I have only seen 2 frum women smoking, so 99% of the time it is men) smoking. It drives me nuts!!! We aren't allowed to get tattoos or chop off our arm because we aren't allowed to harm the body Hashem gave us, why is smoking any different? I understand that for older men that they prob started before it was common knowledge that smoking was extremely harmful to one's health and quitting is hard, so I'll give them taht. BUt most of hte men I see smoking are young!!! It's not only disgusting but has been proven over and over again to be harmful to one's health. Argh, it bothers me so much!!!

I remember a little while back hearing a story about a rabbi or rosh yeshiva who spent his days in the beis midrash and he got really sick and they discovered that his lungs were pitch black!! He said, but I don't smoke, never have!! Turns out it was because of sitting in the beis midrash for years while everyone around him smoked, ugh, disgusting.

I havne't been here in ISrael yet for purim, but I heard that they let the little kids smoke then and people think it's cute!! blech....

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 1:37 pm
sarahliz wrote:
We aren't allowed to get tattoos or chop off our arm because we aren't allowed to harm the body Hashem gave us

tattoos don't harm the body and the reason for the prohibition is not because of health reasons!

as for chopping off an arm - ?! do you know people who are into that?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics