Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Can a bubby drive a 17 foot Uhaul pulling a car on a hitch?
1  2  Next

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:21 pm
My husband wants to pay someone else to do it. Is that a waste of money? Has anyone here driven one?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:27 pm
Do some practice runs to see if you are comfortable. Try to find someone else to drive the car. Keep in mind that a heavy truck goes slower uphill and takes longer to stop.
Pick up the handbook for a trucker's license at the DMV. It will give you some great pointers.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:29 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Do some practice runs to see if you are comfortable. Try to find someone else to drive the car. Keep in mind that a heavy truck goes slower uphill and takes longer to stop.
Pick up the handbook for a trucker's license at the DMV. It will give you some great pointers.

Good idea!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 5:58 pm
I think it's better to hire someone. Driving the truck is one thing- and you might need a special license, not sure. But pulling a car along with it requires knowing how wide of a turn you need and hard to do on small streets, easier on highway. Don't think it's worth the stress if you're already moving.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 6:02 pm
amother wrote:
I think it's better to hire someone. Driving the truck is one thing- and you might need a special license, not sure. But pulling a car along with it requires knowing how wide of a turn you need and hard to do on small streets, easier on highway. Don't think it's worth the stress if you're already moving.

I may just get those Uhaul cubes that you pack and they load on a truck and bring it. I can't navigate in tight spaces such as when construction makes one very narrow lane.

sequoia

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 6:03 pm
A bubby can do anything! Smile

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 6:31 pm
sequoia wrote:
A bubby can do anything! Smile

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 6:39 pm
southernbubby wrote:
My husband wants to pay someone else to do it. Is that a waste of money? Has anyone here driven one?

H*ll yeah! Go Bubby Go! 🙂

Hatzlacha

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 6:49 pm
CAN you? Sure.

SHOULD you? If you can afford a driver, go for it. Why put yourself through the worries of doing it. Especially with the car on a tow bar, which is a lot more difficult.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 7:07 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
CAN you? Sure.

SHOULD you? If you can afford a driver, go for it. Why put yourself through the worries of doing it. Especially with the car on a tow bar, which is a lot more difficult.

It's the I 80 through Pennsylvania that scares me because it goes on these mountain roads.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 7:48 pm
southernbubby wrote:
It's the I 80 through Pennsylvania that scares me because it goes on these mountain roads.

If you were used to driving the 17 foot Uhaul etc. elsewhere, I'd say, maybe.
But I vote no.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 9:06 pm
southernbubby wrote:

I drive throughout the I 80 once, in a little car. Never again! Too many trucks. I would feel more comfortable driving a truck than a car in such highway.
17 ft is not that long.
Do not tow a car.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 10:12 pm
I have driven a truck car combo and truck trailer combos. It was fun having the experience.

There is no reason to challenge yourself if this isn't your thing.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
I have driven a truck car combo and truck trailer combos. It was fun having the experience.

There is no reason to challenge yourself if this isn't your thing.

It isn't my husband's thing but I am not good with narrow spaces even in a car.

Mommy1:)

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 10:40 pm
southernbubby wrote:

If you're not comfortable "threading the needle", it might be best to get someone else to do it for you. And this goes for whether or not you're a Bubby Smile

Whatever you choose, pay for the insurance. It's worth the peace of mind!

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 10:43 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
If you're not comfortable "threading the needle", it might be best to get someone else to do it for you. And this goes for whether or not you're a Bubby Smile

Whatever you choose, pay for the insurance. It's worth the peace of mind!

we will definitely do insurance!

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 10:48 pm
southernbubby wrote:

If you aren't good with narrow spaces, there's your answer. Plus, there is sway when towing. The big trucks leave a large vortex of air that is disturbing to vehicles around it. It is more pronounced when towing.

Honestly, I did it as an adventure. I like to try new things. There isn't any need to give yourselves a nerve wracking long distance drive.

thanks

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 12:54 am
southernbubby wrote:

There's your answer.
If it scares you, don't do it. Not worth put yourself through that stress.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:36 am
ITA with all the above. Bubbes can do anything if they have to, but shouldn't do anything they don't want to. If there is a better option, take it! Moving is stressful enough as it is.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:06 am
Driving from Detroit to Monsey is a 10-12 hour drive. I’ve done it many times. I-80 isn’t the best highway to practice driving trucks and towing. Between the curves on many of the exit ramps, the constant construction on the Ohio turnpike, and 6 hours of mountain driving in Pennsylvania, I vote hiring someone for this task. You can advertise for a frum person on the Mommy Mifsud emails.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating