Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Epilepsy Medication

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:55 pm
My son was diagnosed with epilepsy at age 2 with abnormal EEGs since. He has never been on medication because he was seizure free since he was 2 years old. (Before that, my pediatrician didn't realize that what I was describing was seizures. By the time I went to a neurologist he was seizure free.) He is now 8 years old and has apparently begun having seizures again. I have an appointment with the neurologist in 2 weeks and I was told we will start him on meds. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Will they hospitalize him until the meds show they are working or do they do an in home EEG, or do they rely on what I see?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:59 pm
They'll probably hold him for a 24 hour EEG, and go from there. Different types of meds work for different types of epilepsy.

Ask the doctors if they think that CBD oil would work in your son's case. There has been some very good research on it, and there's no side effects that I'm aware of.

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 4:24 pm
CBD oil has been proven to help specifically with Lenox-GastauteSyndrome and Dravit's. It may not work for all types. And I haven't heard that it cures the seizures completely, just lowers the amount, which of course, is also a good thing.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 6:23 pm
OP here - Dr. just prescribed Trileptal. Is anyone familiar with this medication?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics