Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Trileptal - Epilepsy medication

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:24 pm
My DS's neurologist just prescribed Trileptal for his seizures. This is the first time he will be on epilepsy medication. He is 8 years old. Is anyone familiar with this medication?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 4:34 pm
plse look into ketogenic diet if trileptal is not successful for you. I wish someone had told me abt it sooner

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 4:51 pm
My son was on trileptal for about a year when he was around 4 or 5 years old. It was prescribed due to a suspicion of absence seizures in the brain that would not be manifested as an all out seizure - just a kind of space out. My son has autism so the hope was that targeting possible seizures would help his overall attention and concentration. However, the medicine did not seem to do much and after going for an inpatient EEG (a different) neurologist confirmed that there seemed to be no seizure activity and took him off the meds.
Only after we stopped the trileptal did we realize how tired and underaroused he had been due to the suppressing effect of the medication. He seemed much more energetic once we took him off. (On the flip side, we realized it had probably been helping him sleep better too but still, we were relieved to have him off)
This was just my experience. But we b”h were not dealing with physical seizures. My understanding is that for real epilepsy, trileptal is a preferred choice.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 4:54 pm
We had a child on trileptal for a couple years. BH did not see any negative side effects. DC was on a fairly low dose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics