Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
FAKE Comedian Stephen Colbert showed his true colors tonight
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 4:58 pm
Maya wrote:
Yes. There definitely is something about those American white conservative uneducated men that I don’t get. And that is their racism, their white supremacy, their anti Semitism, their stupidity in believing all the fear mongering that the president is an expert in doing, their blind belief in fake news and extreme right talking points, and their worship of money and the world that Trump comes from.
But apparently he got it.

Here, ladies, is exhibit A. I think the bolded explains your viewpoints perfectly. Do you really think that what you have written is nice, or even correct?

Let me warn you Maya, that these white conservative uneducated men were here before you. This is their country. You are a guest. Time to behave like one.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 4:59 pm
Maya wrote:
Actually no. I wasn’t referring to middle Americans. There are enough such people here in middle class suburbia to help me understand how Trump got elected.

Middle class suburbia has white, conservative, uneducated Americans? How are they able to afford it shock ?

sushilover

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:00 pm
Maya wrote:
My experience? Nice to me because I don’t announce my political views, but otherwise hateful and ignorant bigots.

ETA: not every single one, but enough for me to understand the phenomenon.

Again- 17% of Democrats & 7% of Republicans in this nationally representative study wish someone would hurt one or more politicians in the other party. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs61.....anship.pdf

But Republicans must be the hateful bigots....

sushilover

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:01 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

Let me warn you Maya, that these white conservative uneducated men were here before you. This is their country. You are a guest. Time to behave like one.

What's that supposed to mean? Sounds ominous.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:02 pm
sushilover wrote:
What's that supposed to mean? Sounds ominous.

It is ominous. You know what? This forum is public. I think you know what I mean.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:05 pm
sushilover wrote:
Again- 17% of Democrats & 7% of Republicans in this nationally representative study wish someone would hurt one or more politicians in the other party. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs61.....anship.pdf

But Republicans must be the hateful bigots....

Broken link, and I can't find it via google. Can you repost so I can see if this is a valid statement?

Maya

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:08 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
It is ominous. You know what? This forum is public. I think you know what I mean.

No I don’t know what you mean. Please explain what exactly it is you are threatening me with and warning me about.

Maya

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:13 pm
sushilover wrote:
Got it.
Trump voters are dumb racists. And we are all white men. Applause
I better let my family know.

You’re taking this out of context.
I was replying to a poster who mentioned white conservative men, and that is what I based my post on.

sushilover

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:14 pm
amother wrote:
Broken link, and I can't find it via google. Can you repost so I can see if this is a valid statement?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs61.....?dl=0

Better?
The study was done by Nathan P. Kalmoe and Lilliana Mason and called Lethal mass partisanship: Prevalence, correlates, & electoral contingencies.

Some numbers from the study:
Democrats are more than twice as likely to wish harm upon someone from the other side.
Democrats are 25 percent more likely to say America would be better if large numbers of people from the other side died.
Democrats are are about 25 percent more likely to approve violence against the other party if they think the other party is winning an election.

Is this super important? I don't think so. I still think most Americans fight at the ballot, not with fists. But be careful when smearing all Republicans as dumb and violent....

Last edited by sushilover on Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:15 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
As strange as it may seem to you, there are many who voted for him not DESPITE his rhetoric, but BECAUSE of what he says and how he says it. These people- mostly white conseevative men - are glad that he's speaking the truth (the way they see it) and are happy that he's actually fighting back.

They feel, and have felt for a long time, that this country was going in the wrong direction, and were glad to have - and let's call it what it is - a bully on their side. Someone who understands their concerns and sticks up for the things they believe in. And who will not back down from the opposition, no matter what. And will do his best to address their very real concerns.

Yeah, and some of that lot scare me. It's not a matter of saying, we're not voting for tzaddik, let's vote for him, he'll get the job done. I've heard people (IIRC Mike Gallagher) who only wish that they could get away with being as coarse and unplugged. Not in so many words, but close enough.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:20 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
There’s nothing fake about him. He is a comedian. Some people think he is funny. Some people don’t. I happen to think he’s hilarious. Btw- please list right wing comedians. I’ll be happy to give them a go. Oh wait- there aren’t any. Darn. And if there were, they’d likely be all J jokes. I’ll stick to the available comedians. Minus Sarah Silverman because there’s only so many times a person should be able to curse in a single sentence.

Watch louder with crowder

imasoftov

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:01 am
Mevater wrote:
It was a hint to Colbert mocking the Trump coined expression "Fake news" that Trump says the media reports (maybe deservedly so, for this specific reason), in every single one of Colbert's monologues.

You watch every one of his monologues?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:21 am
Maya wrote:
With all the college level essays you write on this site, one would think you’d know the difference between middle America and New York suburbia. Maybe google it.

I don’t remember saying I hate those people. I did say I don’t “get” those people and their attitudes. Please don’t put words in my mouth to suit your agenda.

A bit fuzzy but is the book Hillbilly Elegy relevant to this part of the discussion?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:25 am
Oh, and just because I want to write this somewhere, I heard a snip of an interview between Eddie someone and Stephanie Rule in which Eddie said that white racism was behind the Pittsburgh shooting. That was part of a whole litany but I was still surprised that everyone - the hostess, the radio host talking to her and playing the snip, dropped the ball. Because the guy was an anti-Semite. I don't remember the exact dialogue but it made no sense.
Point is, I want to find out the Eddie transcript, and see if anyone parses it anywhere, if only for logic.

anon for this

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:49 am
Mevater wrote:
Trump's personality is definitely un-Presidential and leaves much to be desired, but Im up to 10 minutes of this clip and he sounds really good. (Side note- Ingraham is 55? Wo.)

I'm confused. You are calling out Stephen Colbert, a comedian, on the basis of one of his clips. And now you are claiming that Trump is OK because he manages to "sound really good" for 10 minutes. It seems to me that you are holding a late night comedian to a higher standard than the President of the United States.

For any Colbert fans, here's a clip of his from 2010, when he spent a day working on a farm with migrants and testified about it before Congress. In this clip of his opening statement he's in his "Colbert Report" persona:

Mevater

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:31 am
anon for this wrote:
I'm confused. You are calling out Stephen Colbert, a comedian, on the basis of one of his clips. And now you are claiming that Trump is OK because he manages to "sound really good" for 10 minutes. It seems to me that you are holding a late night comedian to a higher standard than the President of the United States.

1- Trump has too many faults to enumerate here, but imho hes been better for Jews and Israel than any other Pres in US history. If you disagree, name a Pres or two or three, who have done more for Jews and Israel.

2- My big issue with Colbert, who in his post-Pittsburgh massacre monologue, made it seem that Trump was the inspiration for both Sayoc the letter bomber, who was a huge Trump fan, and Bowers the murderer, who was the opposite, an enemy of Trump.

Imho, people can be more influenced by comedians, than by politicians, even Presidents. I wonder if there are any statistics on this.

Btw, Colbert made sense about needing foreigners for farm work. In todays climate of easily obtained welfare in the US, many choose to sit around on social media, and get their monthly check, than do the hard labor that Colbert did for a very short while. Colbert failed to mention that fact.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:50 am
This appears to be the video that Mevater won't let go of

anon for this

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 12:05 pm
Mevater wrote:

Imho, people can be more influenced by comedians, than by politicians, even Presidents. I wonder if there are any statistics on this.

So you're holding Colbert to a higher standard than Trump because people are more influenced by comedians than by presidents? I can't speak to any special relationship you may have with Stephen Colbert or any other comedian. Personally, I find that the decisions Trump makes and the influence he has on both the House and Senate influence my life much more than anything Stephen Colbert says.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 1:30 pm
Anonymous because I'm an outsider and honestly afraid of the attacks from the right.

Fox and simcha2, thank you for your thoughtful, well-reasoned posts! It's incredible watching the trump circus-act as an outsider, but yes it does detract from his 'policies'.

As a side note, indeed more under-forties get their news from late night editorial comedy shows. Trevor Noah, anyone? LOL

itsmeima

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
Trevor Noah, anyone? LOL

I love Trevor Noah and his team LOL
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics