Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
FAKE Comedian Stephen Colbert showed his true colors tonight
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

ora_43

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:41 am
Squishy wrote:
Trump isn't anti-Semitic. He is the biggest friend Jews have in the oval office in a long time. But he lit the match? Bowers hates Trump.

The match = anti-migrant hysteria.

Hatred of Jews = the gasoline.

I don't think Trump is anti-Semitic, but he's not a great friend to the Jews, either. Even if he is well-meaning, sometimes that's just not enough.

Mevater

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:44 am
ora_43 wrote:
. I don't think Trump is anti-Semitic, but he's not a great friend to the Jews, either.

That statement is more humorous than anything Stephen Colbert ever said in his life. Trump very much likes Jews and has done more for Jews than many previous presidents combined.

ora_43 wrote:
But even if he isn't to blame, it is hardly unreasonable to expect the president not to say things with racist implications. And I fully agree that Trump implying racism is OK is a much bigger concern than Colbert implying that a racist liked Trump.

What makes Trump racist? The fact that he wants to eliminate illegal immigration? Hes ok with people entering the country legally.

Last edited by Mevater on Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:48 am
Steven Colbert is not a fake comedian. He is hilarious. If you don’t like what he says, fine.but he is legitimately funny.

Mevater

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:52 am
andrea levy wrote:
Steven Colbert is not a fake comedian. He is hilarious. If you don’t like what he says, fine.but he is legitimately funny.

I used the word Fake only to hint to Colbert's mocking Trump's whining about "Fake News" in every single Colbert monologue (boring, even if its a valid point).

OBnursemom

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
Colbert is the worst "trump is bad" hahaha soooo funny. Fake comedy is right.

There’s nothing fake about him. He is a comedian. Some people think he is funny. Some people don’t. I happen to think he’s hilarious. Btw- please list right wing comedians. I’ll be happy to give them a go. Oh wait- there aren’t any. Darn. And if there were, they’d likely be all J jokes. I’ll stick to the available comedians. Minus Sarah Silverman because there’s only so many times a person should be able to curse in a single sentence.

sushilover

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:57 am
ora_43 wrote:
This is overly simplistic.

Bowers could have agreed with Trump about the migrant caravan, but - because of a pre-existing hatred of Jews that Trump didn't share - decided to attack Jews.

Metaphorically speaking, it's like if Trump lit a match, and inspired someone else to do the same. Trump's lit match did nothing, because Trump is full of hot air, and air burns at normal speed. The other guy was full of gasoline, and his lit match caused an explosion.

Bowers could have been inspired by people who were inspired by Trump. One of the things we know about him is that he spent time talking to other racists on social media. Pro-Trump racists could have strengthened his conviction in his own beliefs, even if he didn't agree with them about Trump.

Metaphorically speaking, it would be as if Trump were spreading the polio virus - but hey, no big deal, we're all vaccinated here. Inevitably, the virus will reach someone who hasn't been vaccinated, and the results could be tragic.

Of course, Trump might not be to blame at all. Statistically speaking, anti-Semitism is up by 25% - meaning that even if we assume Trump is exclusively to blame for all 25%, still, 80% of anti-Semitic attacks these days aren't Trump-inspired.

But even if he isn't to blame, it is hardly unreasonable to expect the president not to say things with racist implications. And I fully agree that Trump implying racism is OK is a much bigger concern than Colbert implying that a racist liked Trump.

I appreciate that you are acknowledging that it is statistically unlikely that the evil shooter was inspired by Trump.

I'm trying to understand your reasoning for the rest of your post though.
You say that Trump is implying that racism is OK. Are you referring to the fact that he said that there are likely criminals in the mirant caravan?
If I say that I think there may be criminals mixed in, does that mean I am also implying that racism is OK?
What are the rules?

sushilover

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:00 am
OBnursemom wrote:
There’s nothing fake about him. He is a comedian. Some people think he is funny. Some people don’t. I happen to think he’s hilarious. Btw- please list right wing comedians. I’ll be happy to give them a go. Oh wait- there aren’t any. Darn. And if there were, they’d likely be all J jokes. I’ll stick to the available comedians. Minus Sarah Silverman because there’s only so many times a person should be able to curse in a single sentence.

J jokes?

OBnursemom

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:00 am
sushilover wrote:
J jokes?

Jokes with religious flavor.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:06 am
Mevater wrote:
I used the word Fake only to hint to Colbert's mocking Trump's whining about "Fake News" in every single Colbert monologue (boring, even if its a valid point).

So what 'true colors' did he show?

Its zero secret that he has disdain for the president.

And yes - left leaning people do find the president culpable for the rise in anti-semitisim in the US. That also not fake news.

These are opinions.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:08 am
Mevater, what has Trump done for the Jews?
I'm seriously scratching my head on this one.

Mevater

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:27 am
amother wrote:

Ill start with his choosing Nikki Haley the best US Ambassador to the UN weve ever had, by far.

To me that very much outweighs everything he might have said or done that I wasnt thrilled with.

Ill let others add to the list.

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:27 am
Quote:

Haven't you heard? He has a Jewish daughter!!!! (sarcasm) And something something embassy.

Mevater

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:37 am
icedcoffee wrote:
Quote:

Haven't you heard? He has a Jewish daughter!!!! (sarcasm) And something something embassy.

I guess you have a preference for left leaning politicians and a party that respects and supports Keith Ellison, Farrakhan's buddy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....9134e

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:40 am
I'm not going to take that bait of you putting words and ideas in my mouth Smile Thanks for playing though!

Mevater

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:44 am
icedcoffee wrote:
I'm not going to take that bait of you putting words and ideas in my mouth Smile Thanks for playing though!

NP Perhaps others can answer why Dems are supporting Keith Ellison.

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:45 am
OBnursemom wrote:

The entertainment industry is full of flaming homosexuals who are left leaning. Even if there was a right wing comedian, he/she would having trouble getting and keeping a platform.

Roseanne is a right leaning comedian. Even the network said they made a mistake because she gets ratings.

The people in The Industry are more concerned with pleasing other people in The Industry rather than the potential audience.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:46 am
Jeanette wrote:
Seriously?

There are bigger problems going on in the world right now than what Stephen Colbert said on TV.

What a world in which we take a comedian's words more seriously than the president's.

You're right. And yet I remember reading/hearing about how influential the late night hosts really are, apropos to Jon Stewart but including others.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:49 am
ora_43 wrote:
The match = anti-migrant hysteria.

Hatred of Jews = the gasoline.

I don't think Trump is anti-Semitic, but he's not a great friend to the Jews, either. Even if he is well-meaning, sometimes that's just not enough.

Ora, unfortunately too many of us are forgetting "al tivtechu b'nedivim."
And "ain lanu al mi le'hisha'ein ela Avinu shebashamayim."

Last edited by PinkFridge on Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total

sushilover

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:49 am
17% of Democrats & 7% of Republicans in this nationally representative study wish someone would hurt one or more politicians in the other party. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs61.....p.pdf

Is this Trumps fault too?

Jeanette

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 10:02 am
PinkFridge wrote:
You're right. And yet I remember reading/hearing about how influential the late night hosts really are, apropos to Jon Stewart but including others.

Influential as they may be, I dont think anyone can argue they have anywhere near the power of the President of the United States. Yet the same people who spent the last three years dismissing the president's deranged tweets, rallies and interviews as a big joke are now crying about a comedian. They bristle at the suggestion that the president should be responsible for his rhetoric but want to complain about Stephen Colbert. As if Donald Trump is a comedian and Stephen Colbert is the president.

Last edited by Jeanette on Tue, Oct 30 2018, 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics