Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chofetz Chaim flatbush
1  2  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 1:25 pm
How is this school in general?
Is the Hebrew and English education good?
Does it generally attract a wealthy crowd or more of a regular crowd? Meaning....Is everything about name brands and vacations as they get older. Would an average family feel less than in the school?
Do the fathers wear black hats? Do the boys wear white shirts at some point as they get older?
How is tuition? Do they give scholarships?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:08 pm
Bump

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:29 pm
Anyone with info please?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:34 pm
My brothers went to the school. Supposedly they have a good education. I guess by boys' standards, they do make more of an effort to give a secular education--but my brother's class went through 3 science teachers in the span of a couple of months. He had a lot of incompetent teachers. The rebbeim were a mix--some were good, some were pretty awful.

The crowd is definitely wealthy. My parents were probably the poorest there, and they're middle class. Tuition is pretty high. Yet, the yeshiva would not give my parents a break. I could never understand it. We were an average family, and we definitely felt less in that school. I felt bad for my younger brother who wanted to fit in, but he couldn't keep up with the bar mitzvah standards of his friends.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:08 pm
Thanks that’s very helpful. Any other people with a similar or different experience?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:45 pm
I’m surprised that there is so little feedback. Other schools get so much more feedback.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:55 pm
I am very surprised at the few responses.

There are all kinds of families in the school.

The secular education in the elementary school is pretty good. Compared to other boys schools it is very good.

They also dont tolerate misbehavior in either hebrew or english classes. I feel the school has a lot of discipline with love.

I am a scholarship family. I filled out a form and they mailed me what my tuition would be. No groveling in person to a tuition committee.

I have never felt like a second class citizen by the hanhala because I am poor.

Any other questions?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:00 pm
Thanks, do your kids feel the difference? I would hope to be a scholarship family too but I don’t want my kids to feel they have less money than their friends. Is it a nice crowd?

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:12 pm
Im not up to bar mitzvahs yet.

My kids dont have after school lessons like many boys have. I dont hear them complaining about it like my girls do and my girls go to a "poor" school.

One of my son's is best friends with a wealthy boy. Doesnt stop him from coming over to my house and having a great time. Doesnt stop him from coming on the free trips I take my family on. My son loves going to expensive places with his friend's family. They just love to spend time together. If people are nice you can make it work!

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:14 pm
I want to clarify. Not everyone is wealthy. Plenty of down to earth mom's. I think the ostentatious people are just much more conspicuous!!

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:20 pm
Thanks for painting a picture for me. Really appreciate it.
I wonder how it compares to Torah vadass

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:31 pm
I have one son there in one of the younger grades. Cant tell you about the bar mitzva part, because I am not up to that, but until now all of the teachers have been warm amd helpful. When my son needed extra help, they went out of their way and were very accomodating. When little or big issues come up, teachers and staff have always been reachable for problems.
Education is phenominal...and I work in different schools and see different educational levels.
The school is on top of their curriculum.
In the younger grades( at least up until this point) there has been a huge focus on middos, which is something I find very important to stress at this age
I know the tuition is a lot...but you definitely get your money's worth. My son walks around naming rebbeim, saying brachos and tehillim by heart, and quoting parsha and mitzvos. This is definitely not an appreciation for torah that I started out in school with, and its beautiful to see the love for school and mitzVos at this age, when kids start to get jaded
I dont see teachers discriminating between rich and non rich; and dont see kids noticing the difference either
My son has a great parent body in the class...all the mothers are at different levels and types, and all talk to each other

I know some people have their complaints, but you will get many different amswers from different people. Id reccomend calling the school to ask for a tour( and they show you around; you can get an idea of their values) , speak to parents in person, or go to their chinuch lectures that they have coming up( feee amd open to everyone) to get an idea of the teachers and parent body. I find the parent body open minded amd down to earth
Then again, I have had an bh incredible experience with my son there
Good luck

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:34 pm
I dont know because I never sent to torah v'daas.

I feel like chofetz chaim is a neighborhood school. In my sons classes almost everyone lives in the 20's, 30's or marine park. So its a mix of those areas. Plenty of wealthy people and plenty of middle class and struggling to make ends meet people. Probably not so many poverty stricken people.

I do know people who send to torah v'daas. Their kids are dressed just as fashionable (if not more) as the boys in chofetz chaim.

The bottom line is that a lot of people in brooklyn are high earners. Doesnt matter what school you choose for your child. You need to be able to instill in your child to be happy with what his family has. Money isnt everything!

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:36 pm
amother wrote:
I have one son there in one of the younger grades. Cant tell you about the bar mitzva part, because I am not up to that, but until now all of the teachers have been warm amd helpful. When my son needed extra help, they went out of their way and were very accomodating. When little or big issues come up, teachers and staff have always been reachable for problems.
Education is phenominal...and I work in different schools and see different educational levels.
The school is on top of their curriculum.
In the younger grades( at least up until this point) there has been a huge focus on middos, which is something I find very important to stress at this age
I know the tuition is a lot...but you definitely get your money's worth. My son walks around naming rebbeim, saying brachos and tehillim by heart, and quoting parsha and mitzvos. This is definitely not an appreciation for torah that I started out in school with, and its beautiful to see the love for school and mitzVos at this age, when kids start to get jaded
I dont see teachers discriminating between rich and non rich; and dont see kids noticing the difference either
My son has a great parent body in the class...all the mothers are at different levels and types, and all talk to each other

I know some people have their complaints, but you will get many different amswers from different people. Id reccomend calling the school to ask for a tour( and they show you around; you can get an idea of their values) , speak to parents in person, or go to their chinuch lectures that they have coming up( feee amd open to everyone) to get an idea of the teachers and parent body. I find the parent body open minded amd down to earth
Then again, I have had an bh incredible experience with my son there
Good luck

I agree!

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:
How is this school in general?
Is the Hebrew and English education good?
Does it generally attract a wealthy crowd or more of a regular crowd? Meaning....Is everything about name brands and vacations as they get older. Would an average family feel less than in the school?
Do the fathers wear black hats? Do the boys wear white shirts at some point as they get older?
How is tuition? Do they give scholarships?

Wanted to add, its a mixed crowd, but you find that in every brooklyn school; chofetz chaim and torah vdaas
My son has kids in his class with name brands and cheap brands...they all play recess together and dont know the difference. At least at this stage.
But I think this is in every yeshiva. Its not like it caters specifically just towards a wealthy crowd.
Not all parents are black hatters, but I am at the stage in life where I feel( at least for me) there is more to a family than whetjer the father wears a black hat or not...
Its more of a middle of the road school in comparison to other brooklyn schools..

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 11:47 pm
I hear. Thanks for all the info. This is my first so gathering info to try and make the right choice for us

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 11:57 pm
How much is tuition?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:05 am
Right, how much more expensive are they compared to other yeshivas?
Is it that they have the same base price as everyone but they don’t give breaks as much as others do?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:34 am
Full tuition is about $9,000. There are no govt programs in the school so no upk. Although I believe most boys schools still charge the parents tuition. Correct me if I am wrong. The hanhala is very honest and will not take money if they can't follow the rules. That is important to me

There is also no subsidised school lunch. It is quite expensive. But you can bring lunch from home.

My boys do come home with notices pretty often asking for money for school trips etc. But so do my girls. All the schools constantly want money!!

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:47 am
I would say 9k for the base price is similar to other boys yeshivas. However, Rumor is that you can usually get a break with other yeshivas.... it seems it’s harder to get a break in this yeshiva (hopefully I’m wrong)
Upk is the biggest joke. Yeshivas take the money from the government but the parents see only a tiny discount in tuition
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics