Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Death in camp?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ahuva06

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 9:44 am
9mother wrote:
I AGREE, I feel so bad to ruin the authors bubble. But im sure your great at writing, maybe come up with a different clim@x, I.e. a girls grandmother died, or something else, I personally think, itll be too much on little hearts to handle. I know, I WOULD NOT BE OK IF MY TEEN/HIGH SCHOOL GIRL HAD TO READ THAT. THERE IS ENOUGH REAL PAIN IN KLAL YISROEL, LET THE BOOKS, MAKE US DREAM, THAT THERE CAN BE GOOD IN THE WORLD. HATZLOCHA!!

Can we just take a minute to notice how clim@x was censored Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

9mother

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 9:49 am
Lol! Was pure auto typo.

9mother

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 9:49 am
Lol! Was pure auto typo.

merrygold

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:44 am
Wow! I never imagined this would become such a hot topic.
First of all, this is certainly an adult book. It does push the line a bit in terms of what frum literature generally accepts but then again, so did the first book detailing divorce, mental illness etc. It's sort of a comic tragedy with lots of humor but some gruesome parts as well. And while I'm sure many people wouldn't want to read such a book, I believe there are many who would. The alarming content would certainly be known so anyone who wants to avoid the book can do so.

Novel Concept- I'm so curious who you are and if you actually know me but as I just came up with the plot on Shabbos, I can't imagine that you know what it is. Other than myself and my husband there is only 1 other person who knows what it contains. Are you she?

InnerMe

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:49 am
merrygold wrote:
Wow! I never imagined this would become such a hot topic.
First of all, this is certainly an adult book. It does push the line a bit in terms of what frum literature generally accepts but then again, so did the first book detailing divorce, mental illness etc. It's sort of a comic tragedy with lots of humor but some gruesome parts as well. And while I'm sure many people wouldn't want to read such a book, I believe there are many who would. The alarming content would certainly be known so anyone who wants to avoid the book can do so.

Novel Concept- I'm so curious who you are and if you actually know me but as I just came up with the plot on Shabbos, I can't imagine that you know what it is. Other than myself and my husband there is only 1 other person who knows what it contains. Are you she?

What do you mean by the bolded? Did you already write such a book?

And IMO this plot is in an altogether different category as the ones you mention: divorce and mental illness. That's part of human life, and adaraba it's a great service to write such books to bring awareness, and make teens who are dealing with this feel less alone.

Experiencing a camp-mate's death in summer book, is just traumatic, and not something I can see helpful. But then again, perhaps it could. And perhaps there is an audience for this.
I don't mean to discourage you from writing, just after seeing many of our reactions' maybe you can find out more from friends and family whether this is something that would interest them, and if they'd buy such a book.

merrygold

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:57 am
Bolded? Not sure what you mean.

And concerning the death- it's not just sensationalism. There's a point and lesson to be learned. Tragedies do happen in life. How do we respond? What's appropriate and what's not? What would be helpful or not?

InnerMe

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:00 am
merrygold wrote:

And concerning the death- it's not just sensationalism. There's a point and lesson to be learned. Tragedies do happen in life. How do we respond? What's appropriate and what's not? What would be helpful or not?

Sorry, it was italicized, not bolded. The part that your wrote about "in the first book.."

I hear what your saying. Hatzlacha on it! And I mean that sincerely.

monkeys

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:01 am
merrygold wrote:

I couldn’t disagree more. You are writing about trauma in what is supposed to be the most happy lucky safe environment. This is nothing like mental illness or divorce.

merrygold

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:17 am
Let me reiterate that this is a book geared towards adults. Most adults have come in contact with some tragedy. It's a small world and even tragedies in other communities hit home for many of us. But if my book does get published one day, be'h, it will not be required reading. Anyone who's interested in a book that does have tragedy and humor can choose to read it.

And for kids who have had experience with mental illness or divorce- that's not a happy lucky life either. As for safe? Unfortunate some kids don't have that either.

In any case I appreciate everyone chiming in here about this as the book is still in its infancy and I look forward to writing something that many people will enjoy reading.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:36 am
I think it would be less traumatic if she had a preexisting condition like in remission from cancer. It'll be less "random". I like reading murder mysteries (the non Jewish ones) but something like this would hit too close to home.

mommy2379

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 12:21 pm
Right, the fact that it would be about a frum character may just hit too close to home as another’s poster put it.
Someone mentioned”a separate peace”. I’d like to mention that in retrospect I DID have some ptsd after reading it in (frum ,BY) school. I obsessed over it for weeks.That book took place in a nonjewish boarding school in the 40’s, and yes I mourned a bit after reading it. And I wasn’t sheltered in the least, tv, movies etc. so I think a book about death in a frum summer camp may hit even closer to home and be that much more disturbing to read about. Just my two cents- take it or leave it.

Last edited by mommy2379 on Wed, Oct 31 2018, 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

merrygold

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 12:25 pm
If the actual death is not the main point in the story, actually less than a chapter, would that make a difference, ladies? As it stands there's a lot more focus on the before and after.

9mother

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 12:28 pm
merrygold wrote:
If the actual death is not the main point in the story, actually less than a chapter, would that make a difference, ladies? As it stands there's a lot more focus on the before and after.
my oppinion, is its too much no matter what! No one wants to ever invision a freind or someone in that state.
You sound creative, I would love to hear what other main points you can come up with.

mommy2379

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 12:33 pm
if the character development is good- and you choose to focus on the relationship with or choose to develop the character of the ACTUAL character who dies, I think its too much. if the death is referenced in retrospect- the story starts out with girls coming to terms with something difficult, I think its a different story.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 12:37 pm
mommy2379 wrote:
if the character development is good- and you choose to focus on the relationship with or choose to develop the character of the ACTUAL character who dies, I think its too much. if the death is referenced in retrospect- the story starts out with girls coming to terms with something difficult, I think its a different story.

This.
I thought of that as an alternative. To start the story after the fact. And go through the emotions of the girls, and how they cope. That would be something I can see developing into a great story.

mommyhood

It sounds like a book I would read. Assuming it's not gruesome, I appreciate sad books. There are many I can think of that have sad plot lines and I read them again and again even though I cry every time.

merrygold

Just finished rereading a book that brought me to tears- Dark Tapestry by Ruthi Pearlman. I read it as a teenager without an issue but as a mother it hit much more deeply; it's about the kidnapping of a 8 yo boy, an only child. Granted, he was found shortly before he would have died but I liked that it pulled me so strongly. 9mother, are you saying that the girl dying is just too far? Or that people don't like reading about tragic death in general?

mommish613

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 12:39 pm
mommy2379 wrote:

I agree with that. You can bring out the emotions of the characters dealing with the tragedy by starting off the book right after the death took place. The actual death shouldn’t be in the book, it’s just too much to read about a frum teenager dying. We have enough real life tragedies unfortunately. Why the need to sensationalize it? I would not read a book that had scenes of a teenagers death unless it was during the holocaust.

mommyla

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 12:47 pm
InnerMe wrote:
This.
I thought of that as an alternative. To start the story after the fact. And go through the emotions of the girls, and how they cope. That would be something I can see developing into a great story.

Yes! I just finished a book in which the main character loses her young daughter at the very beginning. It was heartbreaking but the reader doesn't get attached to the child character before she gets killed off.

merrygold

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 12:47 pm
Thanks mommyhood. It is a sad book but has lots of humor as well.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics