Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Thinking of working as a personal driver - your thoughts?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:51 pm
A friend recently went overseas for two weeks and loaned me her car. I took the opportunity to drive out of state to relax in nature for two days. I drove 4 hours each way. I enjoyed it. I drove around locally, doing errands. I came to realize I enjoy being on the road in a four-wheeled thingamajig.

It got me thinking about offering a service as a private driver (private, meaning, not driving for uber, lyft, etc.)

I'm wondering if there's a market/need for frum female drivers in Brooklyn, for long distance trips or for hourly gigs?

Your thoughts?

(And where can I get a used car in good working condition for minimal $$?)

Maya

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:55 pm
There may be a market for it in chassidish circles where women don’t drive. A lot of women need rides to and from their bungalow colonies in the summer, or to simchas in Monsey or KJ or Lakewood, or to hospitals in Manhattan, or just a ride out of town

I’m not saying I’m 100% positive about it but it seems like a good idea

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:01 pm
My sister did night car service in Brooklyn years ago, but she worked for a guy that had a taxi service. She took lots of women to and from the airport, to Monsey and back etc.
She earned about $100 a trip. (Part of it went to her boss, though) .

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:03 pm
I know some women who do this in Crown Heights. I think it is a great service to offer. Lots of women would be thrilled to have a frum female driver, especially at night, or for young teens.

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:04 pm
You can charge a premium as a female. A lot of moms would rather their daughters be transported by a female regardless of they are chassidish.

SingALong

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:05 pm
Definitely a need for it in places where many women don’t drive. Especially in the country.
But it will be sporadic income, maybe busier yt time when ppl have many errands, summer when it’s hot, winter in the cold/snow/rain, etc.

cm

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:12 pm
Make sure your insurance covers this type of driving.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:16 pm
I think it's a great idea. If this is a way for you to support your family, go for it!

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:21 pm
As other posters wrote, there is definitely a need for this in chassidish communities where the women don't drive. Incidentally, some schools in Williamsburg specifically want female drivers to transport their teachers and rebbetzins to and from school so you might want to pursue that avenue as well.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:27 pm
My mom does it for a living and she's quit busy b"h. She enjoys being on the road and loves the company . She also finds out where r the best shopping places and sales . Most of her trips are airports .
She made lots of friends from driving people

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:53 pm
Ladies, I'm a bit tearful reading your positive responses. I didn't expect this much positivity. Thank you all so much!

I've been brainstorming for a while now, thinking of a way to earn $$$ to feed my family and pay my basic bills, while doing something that allows me flexibility and a fragrance-free work environment.

I think there's one snag here: the fragrance-free environment. I have a horrible condition that makes my vocal cords close up when they're irritated. Irritants include perfume/cologne, general cleaners (murphy oil, Mr. Clean, etc.) and most work-places use chemical cleaners to clean their bathrooms, etc. (btw, body odor doesn't disturb my breathing at all, neither do "essential oils")

I can't imaging transporting riders who are wearing perfumes. Unless I wear my face mask which looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

Maybe my niche can be a female driver with a ''Fragrance-free vehicle" for folks who want a fragrance-free ride?

Your thoughts?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:55 pm
cm wrote:
Make sure your insurance covers this type of driving.

Any Imamothers here who've done this sort of thing and can shed some light?

Sebastian

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:56 pm
I don't think the chassidish crowd does heavy perfume much. I could be wrong.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:57 pm
Sebastian wrote:
I don't think the chassidish crowd does heavy perfume much. I could be wrong.

Even light perfume triggers me into choking episodes :-(
If your clothes have been washed in Tide/All, etc. and I'm sitting within a few feet of you, it triggers a choke as well.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:59 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
My sister did night car service in Brooklyn years ago, but she worked for a guy that had a taxi service. She took lots of women to and from the airport, to Monsey and back etc.
She earned about $100 a trip. (Part of it went to her boss, though) .

$100 a trip in Brooklyn?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:00 pm
And where can I get a used car for minimal $$$, preferably someone who'd allow me to pay in monthly installments.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:
Even light perfume triggers me into choking episodes :-(
If your clothes have been washed in Tide/All, etc. and I'm sitting within a few feet of you, it triggers a choke as well.

I'm sorry, but this kind of work wouldn't be safe for you given your sensitivies. There is no way to control for this.

Ma3

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:01 pm
Are you in BP?? I'd love your number once you start. Good luck! And you can request that it be perfume free bec of allergies. Don't see that to be a problem.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:02 pm
Ma3 wrote:
Are you in BP?? I'd love your number once you start. Good luck! And you can request that it be perfume free bec of allergies. Don't see that to be a problem.

Laundry detergent also triggers her

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:04 pm
Ma3 wrote:

I can start just as soon as I have a car :-)

Thanks for reassuring me it can work out despite my allergies.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics