Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Thinking of working as a personal driver - your thoughts?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:04 pm
Ma3 wrote:
Are you in BP?? I'd love your number once you start. Good luck! And you can request that it be perfume free bec of allergies. Don't see that to be a problem.

I see it as a problem because I am also allergic to fragrances. Even when people are considerate and don't wear perfume that day, the fragrance sticks to their teichels and sheitals and coats and other clothes. OP sounds highly allergic. She will be in a closed in space.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:
$100 a trip in Brooklyn?

She only did long distance trips , that started out in Brooklyn etc.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:05 pm
amother wrote:
I'm sorry, but this kind of work wouldn't be safe for you given your sensitivies. There is no way to control for this.

I think I would specifically advertise as a ''fragrance-free'' vehicle and for ''fragrance-free'' riders. How's that?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:07 pm
amother wrote:
I can start just as soon as I have a car :-)

Thanks for reassuring me it can work out despite my allergies.

Like any business, you need to keep in mind that expenses pop up. Car repairs, gas and tolls etc.

amother
Cerulean

amother wrote:
Even light perfume triggers me into choking episodes :-(
If your clothes have been washed in Tide/All, etc. and I'm sitting within a few feet of you, it triggers a choke as well.

Then maybe drive a sprinter and have the passenger sit all the way in the back seat.

amother
Coral

Brainstorming in full force here :-)
There's a kind of breathing therapy that works wonders for me for this issue. Usually after a session I am able to stand near a box of detergent or a person with perfume, and I'm not affected.

I haven't gone for sessions in a while, but I'm thinking to start going again, esp. if I can earn enough money I will potentially be able to afford it.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:08 pm
amother wrote:
I think I would specifically advertise as a ''fragrance-free'' vehicle and for ''fragrance-free'' riders. How's that?

How would you handle the laundry detergent situation? People won't realize that this is what you consider a fragrance- and if you can't have people in your car with scent of detergent, that eliminates most of the population.

Are you sensitive to deodorant as well? Hair spray? Scented hand lotions?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:08 pm
amother wrote:
Then maybe drive a sprinter and have the passenger sit all the way in the back seat.

Rolling Laughter

I appreciate the laugh.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
How would you handle the laundry detergent situation?

I could wear my mask
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

Your thoughts?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:14 pm
OP, regarding the allergies. What will you do when you get the interior of the car cleaned every so often. Passengers want a clean car. What would you use to clean it? Most car cleaners have very strong scents.
Also, how would you clean the car if someone gets car sick and throws up (happens to people).

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:
I could wear my mask

Your thoughts?

I would be highly concerned about a driver using a mask like that. Have you used it in the past while driving? Does it interfere with visibility? Does it interfere with communicating with customers? Customer service and conversation is a big part of this type of job.

I also think you will likely be stopped often by police if you are wearing this type of mask while driving. It definitely stands out and will raise red flags.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:16 pm
amother wrote:
I could wear my mask

Your thoughts?

Don't wear the mask. You'll scare off your clients. Tongue Out
I've heard of corporate car service providers, that drivers work for and make a cut of, that accommodate picky and sensative clients and offer things like fragrance free vehicles. So if you'd like to work for somebody else as an independent contractor, maybe this can be an option for you.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:16 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
OP, regarding the allergies. What will you do when you get the interior of the car cleaned every so often. Passengers want a clean car. What would you use to clean it? Most car cleaners have very strong scents.
Also, how would you clean the car if someone gets car sick and throws up (happens to people).

Thanks for the questions. I'll think about them.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Don't wear the mask. You'll scare off your clients. Tongue Out
I've heard of corporate car service providers, that drivers work for and make a cut of, that accommodate picky and sensitive clients and offer things like fragrance free vehicles. So if you'd like to work for somebody else as an independent contractor, maybe this can be an option for you.

I agree, wearing the mask wouldn't go over well....

As for working as an independent contractor, how's that different than working on my own, and catering to sensitive clients offering a fragrance-free vehicle?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
I would be highly concerned about a driver using a mask like that. Have you used it in the past while driving? Does it interfere with visibility? Does it interfere with communicating with customers? Customer service and conversation is a big part of this type of job.

I also think you will likely be stopped often by police if you are wearing this type of mask while driving. It definitely stands out and will raise red flags.

Yeah, we all agree the mask idea is to be tossed.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:

As for working as an independent contractor, how's that different than working on my own, and catering to sensitive clients offering a fragrance-free vehicle?

A company that has a wide reach would likely have more customers for you. It would be hard to find a clientele on your own with your requirements that would provide enough parnassa

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:

Because somebody would be handing you the jobs instead of you needing to advertise and find them yourself. They also have a wide established client base and would know who to send your way.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:54 pm
Personally I think it can work for someone without the fragrance requirements. I don't think this job is for you at all. If you are so sensitive and have breathing issues from it then I would be nervous going with you ....

bestme

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:16 pm
There are people that have allergies and want such a type of driver. You need to advertise yourself as fragrance free and describe what it means. I think you could be very successful . You could advertise in health food stores or health food magazines...

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:22 pm
bestme wrote:
There are people that have allergies and want such a type of driver. You need to advertise yourself as fragrance free and describe what it means. I think you could be very successful . You could advertise in health food stores or health food magazines...

Thanks for your vote of confidence :-)
I like your suggestion of advertising in health food stores. I didn't know there are health-conscious magazines. What're they called?
I will give it a shot, and see what happens.

(As soon as I figure out where to obtain a used car....)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics